Short story of my little Birch

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Maros, I am a big fan of this tree, I think you know. I have a collected birch that this tree was the inspiration for. It is weak, but it has survived the harsh non ideal collection prosecedure and dropped it’s leaves naturally. I am tempted to get in better soil but I think it’s best to wait another year if it makes it through winter. It does have the white mildew which is my focus of beating this upcoming season. I hope to follow your lead with this little guy. F8CFEDF6-6233-4883-949C-7CBAC3AA37B4.jpeg

Attachments

• B6CB9F6B-AC0E-475B-AF5E-DB25F5E3C845.jpeg
    B6CB9F6B-AC0E-475B-AF5E-DB25F5E3C845.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 31

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Maros, I am a big fan of this tree, I think you know. I have a collected birch that this tree was the inspiration for. It is weak, but it has survived the harsh non ideal collection prosecedure and dropped it’s leaves naturally. I am tempted to get in better soil but I think it’s best to wait another year if it makes it through winter. It does have the white mildew which is my focus of beating this upcoming season. I hope to follow your lead with this little guy. View attachment 167584
Very similar material. Take your time and let the tree recover. Mildew could be beaten by oil based products. They are strong growers, it should be in shape in season or two. Fingers crossed. Thanks

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Maros ; have your birch woken up yet? Any updates for us? :)
And may I ask if you do anything different when collecting birch compared to other deciduous trees?

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
@Maros ; have your birch woken up yet? Any updates for us? :)
And may I ask if you do anything different when collecting birch compared to other deciduous trees?

Ingvill, we had night frost up to -5 °C for the last couple of days so we are back in winter as most of the northern hemisphere as it seems from social media posts from bonsai guys all around the globe. I hope for better weather next week so I can finish winter protection of trees. So far only spruces are on the benches.
Regarding collecting birches, I'm not doing anything differently than with other species. It seems to me collecting is not so big problem with them, keeping them could be challenging.

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes same here, winter never ends :-(
I am planning to collect a couple of birches myself if spring ever comes, and am reading up on how I should proceed.
I know they are far from the best bonsai material, but with birch I wouldn't aim for trying to create a "beautiful & perfect" tree.
I want to see if I am able to create a typical birch that I see around my area; flawed and rough around the edges - a tough survivor.
Hoping to be able to create something over time that looks interesting, even if not typically beautiful.
The upside with them is they certainly grow like hell, anywhere & everywhere, in whatever ground, even just sand & asphalt it seems, lol.

Thank you for answering my question and I hope you'll post some updates when your birch(es) wakes up!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just seeing this thread for the first time. Awesome work on this species and great attitude about it. Like seeing a deciduous tree with such striking bark. A lot to look at each season

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Maros, that's a really pretty tree. I have a yellow birch, betula alleghaniensis that I collected as a sapling from the Catskill mountains a couple of years ago. I'm still growing it out, so no work done yet. two things I have noticed is that they put on a lot of roots, and the sweet leaves are a delicacy for moths and caterpillars. I have to spray with BT every year. I have not had the problem of it dropping branches, but again it has not been pruned or wired yet. Thanks for the progression.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes same here, winter never ends :-(
I am planning to collect a couple of birches myself if spring ever comes, and am reading up on how I should proceed.
I know they are far from the best bonsai material, but with birch I wouldn't aim for trying to create a "beautiful & perfect" tree.
I want to see if I am able to create a typical birch that I see around my area; flawed and rough around the edges - a tough survivor.
Hoping to be able to create something over time that looks interesting, even if not typically beautiful.
The upside with them is they certainly grow like hell, anywhere & everywhere, in whatever ground, even just sand & asphalt it seems, lol.

Thank you for answering my question and I hope you'll post some updates when your birch(es) wakes up!
They grow everywhere, agreed. But do not collect from sand since roots will be too long. I would suggest finding wet areas, then roots tend to be more compact. Thumb up to plan with a natural look. Don't forget, primary and secondary parts of the structure aim up, and then, in later stages fresh last year growth is weeping.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Maros, that's a really pretty tree. I have a yellow birch, betula alleghaniensis that I collected as a sapling from the Catskill mountains a couple of years ago. I'm still growing it out, so no work done yet. two things I have noticed is that they put on a lot of roots, and the sweet leaves are a delicacy for moths and caterpillars. I have to spray with BT every year. I have not had the problem of it dropping branches, but again it has not been pruned or wired yet. Thanks for the progression.
I have the problem with pests all the time with them. I'm using only naturally based oily products, it works partly. Usually, roots are filling the pots quickly, they need serious root work regularly. And they tend to be thirsty in summer.
Thanks for the compliments.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Just seeing this thread for the first time. Awesome work on this species and great attitude about it. Like seeing a deciduous tree with such striking bark. A lot to look at each season
Thanks. You are right it is pleasure to watch in every season.

Reactions: GGB

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have the problem with pests all the time with them. I'm using only naturally based oily products, it works partly. Usually, roots are filling the pots quickly, they need serious root work regularly. And they tend to be thirsty in summer.
Thanks for the compliments.
What does your routine/schedule look like on that root work?

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They grow everywhere, agreed. But do not collect from sand since roots will be too long. I would suggest finding wet areas, then roots tend to be more compact. Thumb up to plan with a natural look. Don't forget, primary and secondary parts of the structure aim up, and then, in later stages fresh last year growth is weeping.

Yes I will, thank you for great information :)

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
What does your routine/schedule look like on that root work?
Solaris,
actually, the tree was reported only twice since its collection from wild. Which proved to be insufficient. One repotting in 2012 (you can see pictures in post no 2 of this thread) and second last year in 2017, you can find pictures above as well with the amount of old thick roots removed. Now, I think it would be better to report it biannually or once in three years. Fact is that sometimes there is just not enough time to do it during the busy spring period.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
This spring more guy wires were applied and then later in the season I added a couple of metal screws and washers to weight down the branches. Today I cut off some of the foliage to let the light reach the inner parts of the crown.

DSC_7855-001.JPG

DSC_7850-001.JPG

DSC_7854-001.JPG

DSC_7862.JPG

DSC_7863.JPG

DSC_7856.JPG

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So happy this tree is doing well!
And the three mushrooms are adorable too, lol.
Great idea using some tidbits to weigh branches down, I may just steal that idea... :p
Thank you so much for the update, I've been looking forward to getting this one in particular :)

Top Bottom