Should I air layering this Seiryu maple

kudos91

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
agree second photo

why not airlayer above first branch close to second then chop to first when time comes..?

meanwhile, develop with two trees in mind..
force buds on new leader, watch light, feeding, and such to keep hopeful new structural branches and internodes in check, then let new trunk run to appropriate taper..

just thoughts, dreaming and scheming perhaps
nice tree, beautiful foliage
Thanks I will definitely consider this option. However I just remember now that being a dissectum, I have to be careful because it might not respond so well to pruning and make new branch like other species...

I would not air layer it off since it has a pretty clean graft. I recently bought one from mr maple along with a couple other varieties just to air layer them off the original rootstock, I’m hoping I won’t loose too much time since they are only one gallon size trees. I think it’s worth it since they are only $35 trees.
so like a lot of fun. Good luck with that. I think it always good to do some pratice, in the end even if something went wrong you learned a lot. If only I have more space, I would love to buy more tree and try different things with them too

Top Bottom