Should I be Worried: Brown Tips

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Lumaca -
I'm with @Dav4 - you have a couple nice junipers.

@cheap_walmart_art - the OP is in Jakarta, equatorial tropics. Thuja is highly unlikely, as it needs a cold winter rest much more than Chamaecyparis, and Cupressus.

@Lumaca - I still think juniper is possible, but I did look at Wikipedia, for seed cones you showed look more like Cupressus (cypress) seed cones. Some of the North American cypress (more correctly Hesperocyparis) can be grown as tropical plants, as they come from areas that do not get cold in winter. For example Monterey cypress, Hesperocyparis macrocarpa, and Hesperocyparis pigmaea - the Mendocino cypress. Hesperocyparis goveniana - the California cypress or Gowen Cypress is pretty common in the ornamental and landscape industry. The empty cone you showed could be from any of these, and could be from Chamaecyparis. However, because Hesperocyparis goveniana is pretty common in horticulture, I would guess that it would be more likely than other Cypress. So Hesperocyparis or Chamaecyparis are possible. I do not know how well Chamaecyparis adapts to a tropical climate, but Hesperocyparis definitely does well in tropical environments.

Regardless, a prophylactic dose of Mancozeb will not hurt. Tip blight is common where temps are warm and humid. Even the coldest day in Jakarta would be considered warm and humid compared to the climates that both Hesperocyparis and Chamaecyparis and Juniperus would experience. So using a fungicide anytime this type of discoloration appears is probably a good idea.

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
@Lumaca -
I'm with @Dav4 - you have a couple nice junipers.

@cheap_walmart_art - the OP is in Jakarta, equatorial tropics. Thuja is highly unlikely, as it needs a cold winter rest much more than Chamaecyparis, and Cupressus.

@Lumaca - I still think juniper is possible, but I did look at Wikipedia, for seed cones you showed look more like Cupressus (cypress) seed cones. Some of the North American cypress (more correctly Hesperocyparis) can be grown as tropical plants, as they come from areas that do not get cold in winter. For example Monterey cypress, Hesperocyparis macrocarpa, and Hesperocyparis pigmaea - the Mendocino cypress. Hesperocyparis goveniana - the California cypress or Gowen Cypress is pretty common in the ornamental and landscape industry. The empty cone you showed could be from any of these, and could be from Chamaecyparis. However, because Hesperocyparis goveniana is pretty common in horticulture, I would guess that it would be more likely than other Cypress. So Hesperocyparis or Chamaecyparis are possible. I do not know how well Chamaecyparis adapts to a tropical climate, but Hesperocyparis definitely does well in tropical environments.

Regardless, a prophylactic dose of Mancozeb will not hurt. Tip blight is common where temps are warm and humid. Even the coldest day in Jakarta would be considered warm and humid compared to the climates that both Hesperocyparis and Chamaecyparis and Juniperus would experience. So using a fungicide anytime this type of discoloration appears is probably a good idea.
I'll add to the confusion, after researching a bit I found these referred to as Cupressus Papuanus (Papua being the island of New Guinea). So it could be a local species, but there are very little on the species itself (I found a single mention on a scientific paper). I'll just refer to these as mystery conifers, and will still enjoy them. They do still smell a lot like Gin hahaha.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'll add to the confusion, after researching a bit I found these referred to as Cupressus Papuanus (Papua being the island of New Guinea). So it could be a local species, but there are very little on the species itself (I found a single mention on a scientific paper). I'll just refer to these as mystery conifers, and will still enjoy them. They do still smell a lot like Gin hahaha.

Ah ha! Eureka!, you now know the genus at least. Cupressus, this is a start. And they have and can be used for bonsai. Look for styling techniques for examples of the European Cupressus sempervirens, or the North American species of Hesperocyparis. I imagine Cupressus papuanus would have similar growth habits. And being from Papua New Guinea, it will certainly be amendable to your climate in Jakarta. Nice.

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
20210418_111748.jpg

*internal screaming*

Major pruning before it started raining. I think the whole top should be removed but I'm steeling my resolve hahaha

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Dav4 Is this juniper tip blight?

1619572305002.png1619572336952.png

I was proactive and treated before it showed up yet here I am.
Not a show worthy juniper, but not an insignificant one either.
Damage is evenly spaced throughout most of the entire foliage from top to bottom.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Backstory: I've had these 2 junipers for 2 months.

When they got here, I pruned 50% of the roots, got rid of as much nursery soil as I dared, and repotted them in the mix I use for all my trees (50% Lava, 50% Coco Peat). I have a few other junipers in this mix and they seem fine (checked one to see very fine white tips on the roots). The top I left mostly untouched besides cleaning some dead brances. They served christmas duty mostly outside, spending maybe a week total indoors.

They've been outside since after Christmas, but I've been noticing these:

View attachment 348912
View attachment 348913

My first thought was that it was sunburn because of the hot tropical sun, but the more I read online the more I am worried. Spider mites? Fungal? Overwatering? Underwatering? It feels like self diagnosis through google where every symptom leads to a million conditions!

So here I am trying to pick your collective knowledge and experience to see if anyone has any idea!

I know this is an old topic, but my Buffalo Sabina Juniper got those same little growths on it this year. They were all short, curled, and lower on the branch. They turned yellow then brown and fell off. Since they were all the same size and shape, I'm pretty sure they're some sort of pollen cone or flower, since all my other junipers were producing pollen cones around this same time.

But I'm no expert, and after reading this thread, I wonder if the nursery lable lied and it's a cypress, not a juniper...

Top Bottom