Should you rotate a Bonsai to give even light

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Bonsai does it need to be rotated just to get light on all the branches evenly ?

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
It is a good practice. I would definitely do it if your tree is against a wall or in a congested area where one side gets more light.

Divide_by_zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What Ohmy said. And in fact, until your design is acheived its probably necessary to get even growth and vigor to make a regular practice of rotating them.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, just like trees stuck in the ground. Or maybe not. The tree will adapt to the conditions it is in with the sunny side being better than the non-sunny side. If you keep turning it, then it needs to re-adapt every time the conditions change. The sunny side needs to adapt to less sun and the shady side needs to start growing stronger. So each side will grow a little better, then a little less. So it will average out to the front side being less than it could be, and the back side being better than it would. Bonsai have a front for a reason. That is the best side for viewing, and the back side is only viewed through the front so it is not seen from the back side.

I rotate my houseplants once per quarter. My bonsai front always faces the sun except when on display and then only for those few days facing the viewer. I don't keep any bonsai as houseplants.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like another $$&@!! Bonsai thing… namely it depends?

For example: The trees at PAC Bonsai Museum are rotated 180 degrees twice a week.

Best
DSD sends
I know Mirai rotates their trees and I found this nugget from the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum:

"Bonsai and penjing are rotated twice weekly to ensure that growth does not bend in one direction toward the sun. The back of each specimen is visible during the week and the front is visible weekends."

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Definitely rotate bonsai for best all round growth.
Growers may be able to get away with few or no rotations where the trees get good light from all sides but where trees are close to a solid wall or fence or on tiered shelves turning becomes critical. We frequently see trees with significant lack of rear branching, weak back branches or dead and dying back branches because they have not had enough light.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Any plant in any container should be rotated at least 180 degrees regularly to maintain even growth.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Definitely rotate bonsai for best all round growth.
Growers may be able to get away with few or no rotations where the trees get good light from all sides but where trees are close to a solid wall or fence or on tiered shelves turning becomes critical. We frequently see trees with significant lack of rear branching, weak back branches or dead and dying back branches because they have not had enough light.
Yes, most of my benches are out in the open facing ~195°.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just to be clear.. You guys rotate on the vertical axis right?! Bottom on the bottom, apex on the top.
Cause I have some damn birds that rotate my pots 720 degrees on the horizontal axis and my pots end up upside down and empty!
Might need to re-check that practice..

Top Bottom