Show your 2024 maple colors!

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This bonfire is starting to look exactly like your seigen.
Bonfire👇
View attachment 536110
Your seigen👇
View attachment 536111
My seigen and bonfire from Maplestone Ornamentals are both very similar. Is your bonfire from them? I do think they seem to have a different growth pattern though. My bonfire seems to be more dwarf and has what I think are broom characteristics, while the seigen is more upright and slightly less tight and twiggy. My Wilsons Pink is also very similar to both of these. (My bonfire from Mendocino is quite different from the Maplestone version as well.)

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My seigen and bonfire from Maplestone Ornamentals are both very similar. Is your bonfire from them? I do think they seem to have a different growth pattern though. My bonfire seems to be more dwarf and has what I think are broom characteristics, while the seigen is more upright and slightly less tight and twiggy. My Wilsons Pink is also very similar to both of these. (My bonfire from Mendocino is quite different from the Maplestone version as well.)
It’s from maples n more here in NC. I’m thinking to will become more vibrant red as it gets established in conditions here. My deshojos from Mr maple took two years to get all the way 100% fire engine red. Im starting to think it may have something to do with how much sun they get. The more sun the brighter red.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looking good! Both of these are just starting to wake up for me.
I just received oki kasane in the mail today from garden treasures. I was surprised at how far along it is. The otome zakura is just starting for me.

What are your thoughts on these cultivar?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My “seigen” that I just got in from Mendocino maples looks like 💩 compared to yours
I will be posting photos shortly... but my West Coast seigens don't look anything like my East Coast seigens. Both are from reputable nurseries... so who knows? I think the East Coast seigens look more like what I expect them to look like.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I will be posting photos shortly... but my West Coast seigens don't look anything like my East Coast seigens. Both are from reputable nurseries... so who knows? I think the East Coast seigens look more like what I expect them to look like.
I agree with this. After comparing Seigen from maplestone ornamentals and Seigen from Mendocino maples, I think the maplestone one looks more like a Seigen you see in Japan. I look forward to seeing your photos for comparison.

Verified Seigen Bonsai
IMG_1228.png

My Seigen from Maplestone
IMG_1232.jpeg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You are gonna have me on the look out for a Wilson’s pink now 😂. Great spring color!
The dainty tree in the pictures they have can thicken up the foliage a little with pruning, but it's still kind of dainty. Much more robust than Kamagata, but
not as impactful visually as Seigen. Pink is a dainty and fitting label. Yet mine has grown to over 6' in 6-8 years with some simple pruning.

bpancakes

Seedling
Reaction score
From a seedling I collected in a very diverse Japanese maple garden. Over 40 different mature cultivars.

It gets these variegated leaves randomly. Is in the ground 4 years old.
View attachment 536794
I have a beginner question related to this. I read the variety/cultivar conversation a few pages ago which was very interesting. A friend works at a garden that has a similar amount of interesting or rare mature maples and let me collect seedlings from the path. Is it at all worthwhile in the future to try and figure out the seedlings lineage or does it really not matter as they are all seedling from ____? Im assuming proximity of parent tree doesnt matter as they are all in a relatively small area.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a beginner question related to this. I read the variety/cultivar conversation a few pages ago which was very interesting. A friend works at a garden that has a similar amount of interesting or rare mature maples and let me collect seedlings from the path. Is it at all worthwhile in the future to try and figure out the seedlings lineage or does it really not matter as they are all seedling from ____? Im assuming proximity of parent tree doesnt matter as they are all in a relatively small area.
You can document the specifics if you like. For me it doesn’t matter because I just care about the tree.

WEI

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
shortly after pinching. help with ID would be appreciated: a choice seedling among (already choice seedling) iseli's mini maple, maybe? it's been over 3 weeks since buds broke and the leaves are still tiny. the biggest leaf on the tree is just under the size of my pinky nail.

IMG_5938.jpg

bpancakes

Seedling
Reaction score
You can document the specifics if you like. For me it doesn’t matter because I just care about the tree.
Makes sense to me, I'm more interested in the tree.. just didn't want to make a big mistake by not paying attention when where I collected it was fresh in my memory. Thanks!

Top Bottom