Side project nursery arby

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello all. Found this thuja at a local nursery. I originally passed on it a couple weeks ago, but went back today and it was there. This is just a side project to pass the time until I find some high quality material.

This is a different variety. Seems it was created in Germany. It has darker than normal foliage and it is a dwarf variety.

Couple pics of the tree as is. Pic 3 is the tree pruned back to what I need (I ended up removing more after) and wire applied but no bending. Next are the afters.

Rob

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
I like it, although I disagree with the length of the lowest branch....a bit shorter would give a more pleasing proportion....a little longer on the branch above it would have been a better choice but we can't work backwards, unfortunately....good quick work, especially for an arborvitae....

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perfect taper. Nice transformation. I love it when a tree just seems to work. I bet it smells good too!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Really nice Rob! Love the variety. I love your posts as I know I'll never be disappointed when I read them. Very inspirational.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like it, although I disagree with the length of the lowest branch....a bit shorter would give a more pleasing proportion....a little longer on the branch above it would have been a better choice but we can't work backwards, unfortunately....good quick work, especially for an arborvitae....

Thanks, actually, can't go shorter on the bottom branch because it is not a branch. The whole end is made up of a young, so so health tuft of foliage. Although, it looks like the length of the branch, it isn't. With this species, it can't be cut either because it will not grow. This species gets pretty finiky. The branch above it is wired towards the viewer to bring the foliage closer to the trunk. Notice before the bends, the length of the branches, I only reduced very little. They are all still pretty much as long as they are in the before pic.:D

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Perfect taper. Nice transformation. I love it when a tree just seems to work. I bet it smells good too!

Thanks fourteener.. Took about 6 hours to get it to work.;). It does smell kind of forest like around here.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks fore.:D

Thanks frozen larch. I usually do at least one side project a year. Something that I can be aggressive with and see what happens, just to pass the time. If it lives and shows promise, maybe it will be a good bonsai someday. However, it is always good to work on something to keep improving skills.

Rob

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks, actually, can't go shorter on the bottom branch because it is not a branch. The whole end is made up of a young, so so health tuft of foliage. Although, it looks like the length of the branch, it isn't. With this species, it can't be cut either because it will not grow. This species gets pretty finiky. The branch above it is wired towards the viewer to bring the foliage closer to the trunk. Notice before the bends, the length of the branches, I only reduced very little. They are all still pretty much as long as they are in the before pic.:D

Rob

Sigh...Why is everyone's response on this forum an assumption of the other party's ignorance?..Sorry if I seem strident in this response, but I have plenty of experience with a myriad of species and this species is no different, nor are other members of the family Thuja or related families with poor meristematic memory on old wood, such as(but not exclusive to) Chameacyparis and Thujopsis......I have been doing this for a certain number of years and have cared for trees that would make some of you drool, been referred to as a prodigy by a few affluent artist, and have only recently picked the art back up due to revitalization in my own interest in life in general..So unfortunately any trees I would have to show as of now have only been in development for maybe 6 months(excluding trees I have been fiddling with in the wild for close to a decade).....So all this "well, what you don't understand" talk is quite annoying and incredibly unbearable and makes witnessing this forum the only action that seems without it's problems...When I chime in it is for humor's sake or personal opinion on the state of a tree.......That's all.....Nice quick work, as I said before......

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sigh...Why is everyone's response on this forum an assumption of the other party's ignorance?..Sorry if I seem strident in this response, but I have plenty of experience with a myriad of species and this species is no different, nor are other members of the family Thuja or related families with poor meristematic memory on old wood, such as(but not exclusive to) Chameacyparis and Thujopsis......I have been doing this for a certain number of years and have cared for trees that would make some of you drool, been referred to as a prodigy by a few affluent artist, and have only recently picked the art back up due to revitalization in my own interest in life in general..So unfortunately any trees I would have to show as of now have only been in development for maybe 6 months(excluding trees I have been fiddling with in the wild for close to a decade).....So all this "well, what you don't understand" talk is quite annoying and incredibly unbearable and makes witnessing this forum the only action that seems without it's problems...When I chime in it is for humor's sake or personal opinion on the state of a tree.......That's all.....Nice quick work, as I said before......

I meant nothing by it. It was more to say that the foliage is young and in so so health, which might not be visible in the pics. It was not a slur on your experience. Many individuals do come here to learn and ask questions and to ask why. We all need questions answered from time to time. If we asked everyone that replied what their experience was, there would be an extra 50 posts a day.:D

Rob

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
I meant nothing by it. It was more to say that the foliage is young and in so so health, which might not be visible in the pics. It was not a slur on your experience. Many individuals do come here to learn and ask questions and to ask why. We all need questions answered from time to time. If we asked everyone that replied what their experience was, there would be an extra 50 posts a day.:D

Rob

It wasn't directed solely at you, and I'm sorry you were the straw that broke the camel's back, but the utter elitism I find in this forum is incredible, as well as slightly entertaining..... I think answering questions instead of answering statements as if they were questions would be a more productive mode of education in the future...

duderubble

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's the thing, the discussion is for everyone. I for one appreciated the insight. It's not about you, it's for all of us. If you don't like to be replied to, you ought not to post. I hope everyone will keep explaining why they do what they do, for those of us who are learning. It's not elitism, it's the purpose of the forum.

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Here's the thing, the discussion is for everyone. I for one appreciated the insight. It's not about you, it's for all of us. If you don't like to be replied to, you ought not to post. I hope everyone will keep explaining why they do what they do, for those of us who are learning. It's not elitism, it's the purpose of the forum.

Pretty snappy response for an individual who has only 10 post.....A response to you of this sort, I dare say, may have been merited....I was only stating that flaunting of knowledge unnecessarily and profusely is callous and classless.....If you have a question, you should ask it..If you have an opinion, state it...And if your presented with either of these, respond accordingly....The purpose of this forum is not only to further knowledge but to communicate with people of the same interest and gauge the progress of a specimen one is refining...I gave an opinion and was given, in return, a dumbed down horticultural lecture, which is common on this forum, and insulting to those of us who actually went to school for the subject....Learn, but don't put your head in a beehive just to see the inside.....

Last edited:

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
If you gave an opinion upon the framing of a masterpiece, a masterpiece that you knew everything there was to know of, and the framer gave you an education on the painting so you could understand the framing and then you respond that you knew this and that you were also a framer and just question the framing, then the spectating crowd behind you that previously just commented "Oh, What a wonderful painting!" and NEVER said ANYTHING about the framing started chastising you for asserting your knowledge on the subject you would become annoyed and incredibly irate.........

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another nice one Rob ! It'll be a beauty when it fills out some more, not to say its missing anything now either. :)

ed

Top Bottom