Sierra Juniper Got its First Pot

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Original thread; http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?7698-Workshop-with-Ryan-Neil-February-2012

I finally re-potted this bad boy in late January this year in this old Tokoname pot I bought at auction a couple years back. It still needs a lot of work including re-wiring all the foliage and refining the deadwood, as well as lime sulfur. I really wanted to tilt it forward more, which is how Ryan and I first styled it, but some larger roots made this basically impossible. I'm still quite happy with how it turned out though.

Attachments

• DSCF2579.JPG
    DSCF2579.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF2580.JPG
    DSCF2580.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 98

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should have no complaints on this one Brian, its a nice one already. It will be great once refined.

ed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Real nice Brian. If you can get the roots to work, I'd look at sitting it lower in the pot next time. And if you can find a slightly bigger pot in the same style, maybe that might work better as well. The tree seems to overwhelm the pot slightly, although the tree is superb.
Just a nit pick tho, it's a great specimen to be sure.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Funny thing is, I was worried the pot would be far too large! Live and learn. Also, the large roots prevented me from lowering the tree any as well. This was basically as good as I could get it. Next time I will evaluate which roots can be removed or at least bent.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the long term, I think the pot is a great size. Is this like an RMJ where you have to wire up almost every piece of foliage? Have a great weekend sometime this summer!! It will make a great before/after moment. Love the steel blue foliage.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Very cool Sierra Brian. Should be a really nice tree in time.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah, for it to really look nice I have to wire EVERYTHING. Actually I'm going to Jim's today and this is the only tree I'm bringing, so it should at least be a little further by 5...

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is a beutiful tree? I look forward to seeing pics after it is styled.

Rob

Top Bottom