site not secure???

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Why am I getting this message every time I try to get on this site?

This site is not secure

This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Different sites have different security certificates and browsers react differently to them. I don’t get that warning here with Safari.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The site is currently using a self-signed certificate, pending the installation of an official certificate from a CA. Browsers don't view self-signed certificates as secure, regardless of whether or not they are, so you wind up with that message. BNut mentions it here:

It should resolve in a day or two.

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
my security suite didn't want me here either

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I ordered a new certificate on Saturday, so let's hope it gets installed today latest. Just because the certificate is not good does not mean the site security is poor.

This is a recent change created by all the web site browsers to force all web sites to start using HTTPS (instead of HTTP). Basically they want all web traffic to be encrypted.

99.999999% of all the browser warning messages are alarmist if not outright lies. No one is "trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server". Ask yourself - what valuable personal information do I use on this site? Answer: an email and a password. I might be more worried if I was doing online banking or managing a credit card account... but we do not ask for or maintain any personal information, conduct e-commerce, or deal with financial transactions of any sort.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Another day, another day of waiting for the new certificate to be installed. We are still in a "pending" queue.

I have asked for help from our server host. We pay big bucks for good hosting, so we'll see what they can expedite. This is normally a process that should take a few hours at most.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No one is "trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server". Ask yourself - what valuable personal information do I use on this site? Answer: an email and a password.
Maybe, but it is the one same password used for every site inside the internet, bank PIN, and also social security number! Plus, ask yourself why WOULDN’T the Illuminati and Masons be trying to steal the secrets of bonsai stored here to sell to the Russians and Chinese!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yep, couldn't get on for several days. I have a site I do just for fun and now they want me to purchase site certificate.
I don't get any information, not even an email. There is nothing for anyone to steal. I think that part of it is just a money grab.
Makes it hard for a little site to break even, as people around here know.
That is why you need to click an ad once in awhile.
I am sure that the ad revenue adds up.

nrgizerrod

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The google monster agrees, resuming normal surf activities. Today is less suck now!

Top Bottom