Small 6x6 greenhouse

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love that twisty twin trunk bougie by the way!

Aaron
That poor tree has taken a beating. I'm shocked its even alive. Its actually growing now for the first time since summer. Had a very rough start. Glad to see it getting healthy.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will only use it when its real Hot. The water drain will drain into the greenhouse. Should not dry out. Its a small standing upright unit.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was 93 degrees yesterday. The greenhouse is full of stuff from the summer. I woke up this morning and it was 50 outside and all of my raintrees wer completly shut down. I think they were even shivering. The tamarind also looked bad.
Went to home Depot and bought some bubble wrap and some foil lined insulation for the greenhouse. Last winter when it was 17 degrees the heater worked real hard to get 60 degrees. Should be a lot better this winter. You could see daylight from the roof vent. All sealed up and cleaned now. Will put the tamarind and the raintrees in tonight and set the temp at 65.
20171010_115058 (Small).jpg
20171010_123424.jpg
20171010_131058.jpg
20171010_142505.jpg

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Each year the little greenhouse gets fuller for some reason. The bubble wrap and insulation is great. The heater doesn't have to work as hard and I can keep it a little warmer now.
I use these temp monitors for the guava and the greenhouse. Works great to see how the temps are doing plus you can set alarms for both hi and low temp readings which I need to turn back on.
20171028_115314.jpg
20171028_120213.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Each year the little greenhouse gets fuller for some reason. The bubble wrap and insulation is great. The heater doesn't have to work as hard and I can keep it a little warmer now. I use these temp monitors for the guava and the greenhouse. Works great to see how the temps are doing plus you can set alarms for both hi and low temp readings which I need to turn back on.

Cool, I ordered similar from Cabela's yesterday for the shed here. Honest never bothered for a lot of years but oddly of interest to me now. To much time I guess :p

Grimmy

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine works awesome in the winter. Just wish the door opening was wider. May modify it some day. Raintree and boogies drag going in and the guava wont fit at all.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It was 93 degrees yesterday. The greenhouse is full of stuff from the summer. I woke up this morning and it was 50 outside and all of my raintrees wer completly shut down. I think they were even shivering. The tamarind also looked bad.
Went to home Depot and bought some bubble wrap and some foil lined insulation for the greenhouse. Last winter when it was 17 degrees the heater worked real hard to get 60 degrees. Should be a lot better this winter. You could see daylight from the roof vent. All sealed up and cleaned now. Will put the tamarind and the raintrees in tonight and set the temp at 65.
View attachment 163518
View attachment 163519
View attachment 163520
View attachment 163521
That’s a really good idea. I’ve been looking for ways to efficiently and cheaply heat my greenhouse and I found NOTHING. This seems like it may help, but mine is the 8’x12’ version which is 3x the area of yours. Maybe I could wrap all but one of the four sides and one half of the roof?

Is a regular space heater the best option for heating a greenhouse?

Edit/ I see you used just the green wrap to allow sun through, wonder how well it insulates and how much light is blocks..

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most people use clear bubble wrap. Even on big green houses. Some wrap outside and inside. Making sure all the gaps are sealed also helps. I used silicone on all joints when I put it together. This helped a bunch. My vent is also taped shut for the winter. Even with foam seals it still had gaps. I used clear packaging tape to seal it up.
Most all the light I need comes from the roof panels. I kept the bubble wrap down below that.
My little space heater does a good job especially with it sealed better and insulated. If your space heater is not enough it will run constant. Mine cycles on and off. Runs a lot more when it gets real cold. I have a backup in case it goes out on a real cold night.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Most people use clear bubble wrap. Even on big green houses. Some wrap outside and inside. Making sure all the gaps are sealed also helps. I used silicone on all joints when I put it together. This helped a bunch. My vent is also taped shut for the winter. Even with foam seals it still had gaps. I used clear packaging tape to seal it up.
Most all the light I need comes from the roof panels. I kept the bubble wrap down below that.
My little space heater does a good job especially with it sealed better and insulated. If your space heater is not enough it will run constant. Mine cycles on and off. Runs a lot more when it gets real cold. I have a backup in case it goes out on a real cold night.
That’s one thing that irritated me about the greenhouse I/you got, is that after assembly there are small gaps everywhere! They make a big difference especially since every connection point has a gap.

Do you have humidity issues with the space heater? I’m think about placing a bowl of water in front of mine just so it doesn’t dry the air so much if and when dryness becomes a problem.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If humidity really is too low a bowl of water isn't going to be enough to keep it up. I would think the water evaporating off the soil in the pots should be enough to maintain decent humidity. If not, you could put in an ultrasonic humidifier.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice bougies in your photo. You've done a good job with this. And you'll always run out of room... Then you start to sell!

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s one thing that irritated me about the greenhouse I/you got, is that after assembly there are small gaps everywhere! They make a big difference especially since every connection point has a gap.

Do you have humidity issues with the space heater? I’m think about placing a bowl of water in front of mine just so it doesn’t dry the air so much if and when dryness becomes a problem.

My humility stays in the mid 80's. When I water the stands are not flat and hold water. The inside walls are usually wet and dripping from the moisture. The trees love it. You can see the humidity levels on the picture of the temp gauges I posted. The greenhouse now is at 86% There are times the trees don't need watered but I just wet the area down with fresh water to keep things moist. I do have a fan that keeps air moving during the day. Without the fan the soil gets moldy.
Just took this picture. The walls are dripping wet from humidity. Water is on the inside.
20171029_110321.jpg

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
My 10 x 10 Homemade greenhouse can get over 100 in spring without fans, but i dunno how you guys keep the humidity up. I have to run a mister or it gets too dry. Maybe i need to pack more trees inside. :D

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
dunno how you guys keep the humidity up
I use humidifiers in mine, 3 of them with timers. They alternate being on for 30 minutes every few hours, so it stays reasonable even when the heater is running.

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wow sick setup! I love the transformation!

Top Bottom