Small/chopped pine bark source?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have run across pine bark that was cut as trees and moved thru salt water for processing.
end result was dead bonsai, that sickened slowly.

Salt is a totally different factor...note that same can happen to deciduous tree bark supply.

FYI, most probably were exposed to salt water while being transported. That is how they are done in Asia at least and most if not all wood there are broad leaf. YMMV

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just thinking. If one wanted to check if there is salt in their bark supply I think you could go to an aquarium supply place. Get some kind of basic salt test kit (for salt water aquariums). Soak some bark in water and then test the water to see if there is an elevated salt level. I haven't looked into this, no reason to, but it should be a simple thing to do.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The stuff I'm going to sell is made for gardening.

jesseblunt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Pine sifting

Nevermind...:)

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 59
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 67
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 66
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

AutumnWolf13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Be carefull of kalamar quality

You're looking for the wrong thing;)

You have to ask for "soil conditioner" BUT you have to find one that uses composted pine bark as the main ingredient. Soil conditioners are used to lighten up clay-based soils. I've bought Gardner's Pride soil conditioner at Home Depot in 25 lb bags in the garden department over the years. I don't know if they still sell it though.

There are other products out there though:

See 'pine bark fines" here:

http://www.kamlar.com/KamPPsoilcond.html

These particular brands probably aren't available in your area, but they can give you an idea what to look and ask for locally.

I used Kalmar pine mulch/soil conditioner happily for 4 years, I got a bad bag here and there, but last year I got 3 bags of mostly red colored dust.
I have the dubious distinction of being the only person that ever returned bags of mulch to the garden center!!!

I switched to Agway brand "Pine Mulch" and I think it is a much better and much more consistant product.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I used Kalmar pine mulch/soil conditioner happily for 4 years, I got a bad bag here and there, but last year I got 3 bags of mostly red colored dust.
I have the dubious distinction of being the only person that ever returned bags of mulch to the garden center!!!

I switched to Agway brand "Pine Mulch" and I think it is a much better and much more consistant product.

LOL, that must have been funny.

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
At my local. Home Depot

I have found this soil conditioner at the local store and wanted to know if it would be ok.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Garden-Pro-2-cu-ft-Claybreaker-Soil-Conditioner-CLAY2G/100142173/

The reason I'm not sure is it list gypsum as one of the items in the product. See the description below. Would that be an issue?

DhD

Description
Garden Pro Clay Breaker 2 cu. ft. Soil Conditioner contains gypsum and aged bark fines. It is designed to help break up heavy clay soils. This 100% organic soil amendment improves drainage and aeration to enhance growing conditions.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wouldn't use a product for pine bark that has other ingredients. You loose control of your mix that way. And gypsum is likely very small particles or even dust from a gypsum mine that would clog your drainage.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just found this one as well but will it work? I don't think it is composted at all.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-4-qt-Fine-Pine-Mulch-Resealable-Bag-MULCH3357FNPNE/203920297

DhD
Of the two I'd go with this. Sift it to get the fines and dust out. You use such a small amount anyway that composted or not it wouldn't make any difference in your mix.

And buy several bags and put a couple of them to composting now and you'll have composted bark for next spring potting season.

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Don't think gypsum can be good

I didn't think that having gypsum in the soil would be good. Isn't gypsum used to make plasters. Not likely a good soil mix.

To compost the fines what would you cover them with to get the composting going? Just under some cut grass or would that not work?

Dave

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
No luck getting Pine Bark Fines

I ran over to the local Home Depot and they didn't have any fines a bonsai grower would want. Now I'm stuck with breaking up the oversized chunks I got from Lowes or pay a high price online. For the amount I need right now I really can't buy that much.

What I would like to know is if I'm mixing my soil and I have 1 part grit, 1 part akadama, and 1 part bark. What can I use to substitute the akadama and the bark? I was thinking I would use 1 part grit, 1 part perlite, and 1 part ?? (bark replacement).

I hope I'm not to far off topic for the thread with this post. I just thought it was still in line with the conversation.

Thanks,
DhD

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look for something called soil conditioner. Then check the ingredients.

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Blended pine bark

I tried to grind up the oversized pine bark chips I had purchased. The results seem good. I'm not totally sure as I ran out of light. I left it to drain and will take a photo tomorrow.

The blender worked as long as you have enough water and you use pulse. I have a extra blender I got for free so I don't care if the blender is fried.

DhD

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I ran over to the local Home Depot and they didn't have any fines a bonsai grower would want. Now I'm stuck with breaking up the oversized chunks I got from Lowes or pay a high price online. For the amount I need right now I really can't buy that much.

What I would like to know is if I'm mixing my soil and I have 1 part grit, 1 part akadama, and 1 part bark. What can I use to substitute the akadama and the bark? I was thinking I would use 1 part grit, 1 part perlite, and 1 part ?? (bark replacement).

I hope I'm not to far off topic for the thread with this post. I just thought it was still in line with the conversation.

Thanks,
DhD

Did you look in the area where they keep orchid growing supplies? Usually there will be bags of Fir bark there.

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Did you look in the area where they keep orchid growing supplies? Usually there will be bags of Fir bark there.

I did look there and the only stuff they had there was with fertilizer added to the mix. I figured since I never heard it mentioned before I figured that wasn't a good idea. You don't know what's added.
DhD

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I use composted bark as something to soften the soil and provide somewhere for bacteria. I think sometimes I over do it , but I do get excellent results.
I use :: Akadama , Lava , Pumice . hen grit , Moler , Composted Bark, Orchid chips and Very small Aquarium Pebbles. Does anyone think anything here is not good.??

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use composted bark as something to soften the soil and provide somewhere for bacteria. I think sometimes I over do it , but I do get excellent results.
I use :: Akadama , Lava , Pumice . hen grit , Moler , Composted Bark, Orchid chips and Very small Aquarium Pebbles. Does anyone think anything here is not good.??

I don't know what Moler is. everything else you listed has been called not good at one time or another except pumice. I can't recall anyone calling pumice not good. Everything else yep, no good at all depending who is giving opinion.
All that stuff is also good enough, very good or sometimes absolutely necessary again depending on who's opinion. Some of the soil threads are great reading! I like them, hopefully this one will fire up now. If you're satisfied with the health of your trees and not finding problems due to soil it's probably pretty good.
Sorry, not so helpful but that's what it is, there are many very strong but varying opinions out there from very capable and experienced people all with great healthy trees.

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I may be wrong , but I use Orchid bark which is sold for reptile beds. Here in the UK there are quite a few outlets with various qualities. I pay about £8 for 10 litres and it`s very good.

Top Bottom