So not new, just nit advanced in Bonsai

BonsaiWilly

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I was misinformed and thought coconut coir was a alright thing in bonsai.

Well I added it to my soil recently and transpalted a few trees that began to bud recently.

I live in New England, so it gets pretty cold, I also live in an apartment; so I kind of have to deal with limited storage and have to store the trees on a porch.It’s farmers porch so it’s not attached to the building; with weak insulation it does go bellow 0. For the most part I keep the plants insulated in a cooler, with crumpled up bags. I wanna say this keeps them safer, but still there’s nothing I can do when it drops below 0.

But, this time of year, it also gets warmer then I’d like, thus the early budding.

Anyways I’ve heard that the coconut Coir will turn mushy and freeze pretty solid in the winter, this might not be good for me. I’d say each tree has approx anywhere from an 5th to a 10th part coir in it now. All are deciduous trees.

Now if you were me, would you let them be, or while they’re still freshly planted would you pull them out and replant them in a coir-less soil?

Last edited:

BonsaiWilly

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should also add, that the other parts of the soil are equal part sifted compost, about 50 percent of a local bonsai shops pre-made soil ( that consists of turface.) and sifted perlite.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How long ago did you do the repotting? If the tree has not had time to regrow roots, you'd be ok to redo it if you were very very tender and careful.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What kind of trees do you have? You can get a turface, pine bark, and grit based soil at Bonsai West. New England Bonsai Gardens have a pumice, akadama mix.

Top Bottom