So you think squirrels are bad...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree they are smarmy little bastards.:D I'd like to the the mace, ammonia, etc. thing, but my house is attached to my neighbors on both sides (townhouse community). I don't want to be in the position of explaining why I maced my neighbors to the police, should any of those fumes get into their homes through the roof. As far as firearms go (including air rifles), can't really go there either. I live in a suburan area near a military base. Standing around shooting at stuff can make people REAL nervous...Again, don't want to explain to the county mounties or the military police why I'm lurking around a populated area with a gun...(I really miss living in a rural area where this kind of thing can be dealt with simply and quickly with a one shotgun shell)

I have a professional trapper setting live traps on the roof and on the ground (we've already caught one of her offspring) around the house. Hopefully, the @#$%^& thing will end up in one soon.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As much as all the lethal and near lethal options appeal to me, there are too many "what ifs" involved in using them. The biggest of those: What if the beastie isn't killed instantly? He will most likely retire to the interior of his "shelter" (my house) to have his confab with Jesus...That means the carcass left behind when he slips his mortal coil will remain in my house--during a heat wave. I have no way, short of ripping up the roof or pulling down the ceiling, to remove the body. The stinking remains will be left to ooze into my spare room's ceiling.

And no Klytus, a spinny thing on a stick is unlikely to faze him...:D

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Those might sooth rockm, but I doubt the coon would care much, unless it was ear bleeding metal, then the neighbors are going to get him. From what you have done so far, I think I'd get a chair, a big drink and watch for the Cuuuuuute little weasel in disguise to make it into the trap. The long ride to the country, for release, might be a more fun than rock might want to admit to though.:D

Although a fifty in one of the local soldiers pockets might find that 50 cal sniper rifle available.;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a pretty simple rule about taking a life... If I won't eat it... I won't kill it. Get someone to tranq her. Heck... To save her life and get her relocated I'd even pay for it gladly. :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vic,

Normally, I would agree. The raccoon is just trying to survive.

Thing is, we have a VERY bad rabies problem in these parts. They've taken to dropping vaccine-laden raccoon chow from helicopters to try and stem the disease in the local raccoon population. Hasn't worked. Wet springs bring an avalanche of new raccoons and the disease picks up anew.

I killed an obviously rabid raccoon in front of my house last summer--it was staggering around in broad daylight. One of the more sane kids in front at the time called me. The others were laughing and following the damn thing around.

Anyway, this thing (and its brood) sleeps, poops and pees on the reverse side of the ceiling literally a foot above where my son sleeps in a loft bed. When it comes to wildlife endangering my family, too much sympathy is not a great thing.

I am paying a trapper to use live traps(Hav-a-hart). If you care to contribute to the trapping program (And it is a program, since we have caught several local racoons that have been relocated already), the total for trapping/relocating and repair of the soffit currently stands at $1,200. I'll take checks, money orders or even dimes and nickles.:D:D

I can't tally up the to repair costs for the damage the animal has done to the roof, but I have a sinking suspicion it could reach $5,000 or so....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The saga is at an end because the raccoon is also. He literally got hit by a bus. I love self-resolving conflicts. Not really happy about how he met his end, but I can't say I'm all broken up about it (at least not as broken up as the raccoon...)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soffit was patched yesterday.:D

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congratulations! Maybe now you can sleep in peace and not worry about needing an umbrella if you wanted to hang out in front of your house :D

But wasn't the raccoon squatter a "she"?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good for you rock.

anyone see the latest about the snake house, in I think Indiana, thats a doozie.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Loop a wire snare over the entry hole. Next time she looks out, yank her down.

If that doesn't work - or if you feel squeamish about killing her - at some point she has to leave to eat, drink, etc. If you get truly desperate, wait until she is out scavenging (middle of the night) and then staple heavy metal mesh over the hole. The next morning you can do a more permanent repair without worrying about a mad raccoon coming after you :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nut,

the county of Fairfax took care of my problem with one of their commuter buses...The raccoon is now a leather frisbee.

Bill,

I saw the article about the "snake house." If you're not into reptiles, it would be unnerving or downright scary. The place seems to be built over an overwintering den for garter snakes. It's a seasonal thing--in the spring once they warm up, they leave, but come back in the fall. Of course all the snake S&%# would probably be a health hazard...

Mike,

The current (now ex) squatter was a "he" who was looking for the she that had the litter up there, apparently. The mother and babies left a week or so ago. According to the raccoon trapper, the male squatter was camping out waiting for the femaile. It seems that male raccoons seek out females who have recently given birth so they can kill and eat the babies--the absence of the babies brings the female back into heat -- ain't nature beautiful? :D

KABUDACHI

Seedling
Reaction score
Agreed! Nothing a dart can't fix. Don't kill it.. Its just trying to survive. She just picked a wrong location.

James Hilaire

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about playing a Taylor Swift CD real loud. I know it makes my ears bleed.

Top Bottom