Soil for ground growing raised bed?

timhutson1

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any idea what your soil costs will be? That seems to be a major limiting factor for a lot of plans.

I am not sure of the total yet but it will be a hefty price. My beds will be bigger and deeper than most and will require about 4.5 cubic yards in the end. The haydite that I now have in my driveway is 6 cubic yards at $85 a cubic yard. It is usable as is but does contain some larger sizes between 3/8" and 1/2" and smaller fines mixed in. I am now working on sifting this material because I am crazy and a perfectionist (I do not recommend this level of anal-retentiveness). I built a trommel specifically for this job but it will also be my new, awesome way to sift my regular bonsai soil. In the end I expect the boxes to be filled for under $600 in soil prices and the left over haydite will be used to make an in ground grow bed at another location in my yard.

You can look up "DIY soil trommel" on youtube and get an idea of what I built.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a difference a few months make! Japanese maple seedlings are anywhere from 2 to 4 feet tall. Acer ginnala is about 6 ft. Tridents up to 5 ft tall.

IMG_1631.JPG

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am surprised that noone uses wicking beds for growing out trees. For those who dont know about them, they are simple to make and have some great advantages over other growing beds. They are made of a box, or a hole, with a liner. 10 cm/4" of gravel go in first, and a pvc pipe under or with the gravel, with elbow and verticle piece. On top of the gravel is a layer of shade cloth or landscape fabric. Then 20 cm/8" of whatever soil and compost mix. You only add water to the tube, enough to fill the gravel most of the way. The soil wicks it up from underneath. You dont water as much because you dont loose much. The surface stays dry, so weeds dont germinate nearly as much as normal beds. The roots grow down to a comfortable depth, then spread out. There are open and closed versions that allow rain to fill up to a drain hole to avoid over filling, or in a greenhouse they can be closed. WBs work very very well for veggies, so why not trees? Im working on my greenhouse with WBs and will be putting trees in to see how they do, behind my veggies. When I do, I will make a thread with pics. Til then if you want to know more, just google them. Thats where I learned about them, because theyre better than aquaponics for root crops. I have a small one with lettuce, basil, bell peppers, and chinese cabbage, just to see how it works. And it is a success so far, even in a kinda shady spot. The plants are healthy and growing very nicely. I think its worth trying and finding out how trees do in there too. Its hard to imagine them not working. Getting trees out later should be easy since theyre in a box with plastic liner, and with good soil and with air getting in to the roots, the soil should not compact much. Putting worms in the soil works well too, and with a "bio box", you add organic waste and the worms eat it. Then the fert and make passages for air. Idk yet for sure, but they sound close to perfect.
Btw my trees in my aquaponics grow beds are doing well still after several months, and I think others should try it too. Organic veggies, fish, and trees can all grow together and it waters itself. Again the dry surface doesnt promote much weed growth.
So maybe more folks who didnt know about those two systems would like to try them. If theyre as good for trees as they are for fruits and veggies, you cant go wrong! I use my AP water to fill the gravelbof the WB, further adding great plant food- fish poo. So, give'em a try.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Keeps fungus gnats down too, problem is the cost. 4 in of gravel (any inches) is expensive, at least up here. Worm box or compost is a good idea IMO. My compost box stays pretty broken up with the worms eating everything.
I've just kept it simple with a mix of native soil/sand/compost/bark/garden compost/sometimes granite grit. Never tried mushroom compost but heard it was good. Ph needs to be kept in mind also, you could add peat/compost if you need more acidic plants.
Next year i'm going to fiddle with herbs and flowers that keep pests away and nitrogen fixing Alder trees.

Top Bottom