Soil mechanics regarding particle size

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A little soil mechanics lesson, if I may. The idea struck me that I should share this when I read an exchange on another thread about inexpensive Turface.

Imagine two identical bonsai pots filled with Turface (or any soil component), where pot A has only 1/4" sized particles and pot B has 1/16" particles. These two different particle sizes have the same water holding properties per individual particle: they absorb the same amount of water per cubic inch of particle, and water adheres to the surface of the particles in the same amount per square inch of particle surface area. However, these different size particles behave very differently as a planting medium simply because of their respective sizes.

There are 2 things at play here. The first is the density with which the particles can be packed into a given volume of space. If you imagine the individual particles as spheres (large bearings and Bbs, respectively), it's easy to see that you can pack a greater volume of the small particles together, whereas the larger particles have larger air spaces (voids) in between them. Something like this:

OOO
OOO

OOOOOO
OOOOOO
OOOOOO

Hopefully you can see that there is a larger Turface-to-air ratio in the smaller particles. This higher density of the smaller particles means that more water can be absorbed in a given pot space. Now, some soil components absorb little to no water, but that's where our second principle, adhesion, comes into play.

Looking at the illustration above, you should also be able to see that there would be an exponentially greater surface area per pot volume in the smaller particles. This greater surface area in the smaller particles gives water much more surface to adhere to than in the larger particles. This is where the lower limit of particle size comes into play. If the particles are too small, the water can stick to itself (cohesion), filling all of the voids and not draining from the pot, as in fine sand. The smallest screen I would recommend using is 1/16” (1.5mm).

This illustration also points out something that some people take for granted, and that is, soil components need to be sieved to a uniform size. Using particles of differing size causes the voids in between the larger particles to be filled. This makes it hard for the soil to dry out when wet, hard to wet the soil when dry, and hard for air to move in or out. Basically soil compaction.

I have just recently begun using the same 3 basic ingredients (Turface, scoria and coarse sand) 1:1:1 for most of my soil, adding pine bark or charcoal to adjust pH where necessary. (No scoria in Azaleas!) To retain more water, I can simply use smaller particles, instead of changing ingredients or percentages. However, there are no universal formulas for mixing soil because material cost, pot size, stage of development, local climate, fertilizer regimen, and watering habits all play a roll in what properties we want or need in our soil.

[Disclaimer: I’m not advocating using these specific soil components. This thread was initiated by a question on another thread originally about inexpensive Turface. If you can afford akadama and pumice, by all means use them. But I think we as a group tend to make mixing soils more complicated than it needs to be. This is meant to be a discussion of soil mechanics, not soil chemistry. Don’t even get me started on cation exchange capacity: if you use humic acids, it doesn’t matter. Also, I understand that there are indeed other factors at play, like particle surface geometry, dissimilar particle interfaces, porosity and capillary action. However, these factors are very minor in comparison to the above particle size principles.]

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Turface is very porous and actually wicks water unlike other material. There is basically no cohesion or surface tension unlike what you would find if you do the same experiment with sand or stone.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don’t even get me started on cation exchange capacity: if you use humic acids, it doesn’t matter.

Actually what I have found that using high percentage humic acid in addition to a strong fertilizing program can be problematic with a soil that has a high CEC -for fertilizer sensitive plants. Learned that one the hard way this summer....

I appreciate this post, as I've been reading all I can about soils, as I'm changing over from mostly turface to a different mix next spring. So it's been great to read all the posts about it.

The one thing that I still don't get is that some people use a "drainage layer" I thought that in pot culture, that will lead to a perched water table, something that would be bad. What am I missing here?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Judy,

The drainage layer is supposed to consist of larger particles...which should drain faster and aerate better. It basically turns the bottom of your pot into a giant drain hole.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Very interesting, Stan. Thanks for posting.

(edit) Is scoria the same as lava rock?

Last edited:

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I tried the whole drainage layer thing this past year.
Next year I am going the cotton wick route. I have read that it works amazingly and a few swear by it. Plus it makes complete mechanical sense!!
Lol I even took the time to wait and watch for mop heads to go on sale so I got a huge mop head for $5. There are enough strands for probably 100+ pots.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Kevster, are you not able to water your trees daily? I'm not sure how a cotton wick would improve on regular watering of well-draining soil.

Tim_T

Seedling
Reaction score
At our bonsai club I attended a lecture and demonstration by Al Fassezke. Al says experiments have shown that a coarse drainage layer does not increase drainage. It moves the Perched Water Table higher in the pot. Which basically causes the pot to be shallower because of the drainage layer.
Here is a link to an article posted by Al on this subject:http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg112015049996.html

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
At our bonsai club I attended a lecture and demonstration by Al Fassezke. Al says experiments have shown that a coarse drainage layer does not increase drainage. It moves the Perched Water Table higher in the pot. Which basically causes the pot to be shallower because of the drainage layer.
Here is a link to an article posted by Al on this subject:http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg112015049996.html
Initially looks well written and great information about the basics. Makes it sound very credible but I do not agree with some of his final analysis and conclusion. JMHO sorry.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Mat the purpose of the wick is to take the place of the drainage level. You feed a cotton wick up through the drainage hole and lay it across (the length) the bottom of your pot leaving the rest hanging out of the bottom of the pot. Then you go about filling the pot with your tree and medium as you normally would.

What happens is after you water the wick pulls the water out of the bottom of the pot eliminating the water perch by leaking the extra water through the cotton wick onto your stand or bench.

I'll try and find one of the links.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I see. The wick is to take water out of the pot - different than what I was thinking. Not always an issue for me here (that I know of), but I'd like to see some more info on it and the idea of a "water perch" in general.

Haven't read all of the link to Al's post above yet, but I will soon.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
JudyB said: "Actually what I have found that using high percentage humic acid in addition to a strong fertilizing program can be problematic with a soil that has a high CEC -for fertilizer sensitive plants. Learned that one the hard way this summer....

I appreciate this post, as I've been reading all I can about soils, as I'm changing over from mostly turface to a different mix next spring. So it's been great to read all the posts about it.

The one thing that I still don't get is that some people use a "drainage layer" I thought that in pot culture, that will lead to a perched water table, something that would be bad. What am I missing here? "

Sorry, for some reason I'm having trouble posting, and can not reply with quote at all.

Judy, the great thing about humic acids is that you don't need a strong fertilizing program. They make fertilizing much more efficient. But that's a whole other thread.

You are correct in that a "drainage layer" can lead to perched water tables, especially under two conditions: 1) when non-absorbing medium (like coarse sand) is used on the top, here the adhesion will not allow the water to drain and 2) where the drainage layer is significantly larger than the upper layer. One way to overcome this is to step the drainage layer, eg. 3/8" drainage layer, 1//4" transition layer, 1/8" top medium. But it's still not perfect.

The problem people are trying to solve is the fact that typically the bottom of the pot stays wet, whether it's because of the flat bottom of the pot or the complex interactions at the particle-pot interface noone is really sure. [side note: I am a chemical engineer by training, and we have still not completely figured out the interactions between particles and vessel surfaces.] Wicks will help this phenomenon, but where others have suggested cotton wicks, I would suggest something synthetic like rayon. The problem with cotton is that it will rot and it can become "clogged" with fertilizer salt buildup more easily than synthetics.

Tim_T

Seedling
Reaction score
Stan beat me to it but Rayon strands from a mop work much better than cotton for acting as a wick.
Rayon string mops can be really hard to find for some reason though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am surprised this is one of the only threads that mentions Al.
I apologize for bringing up a very old thread but for anyone interested in basic info regarding soil physics and the effects that particle size has on container grown trees should check out this link containing all of his best articles. I go back and read them a lot.

Top Bottom