Soil mix

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes Eric,

there is a Seaweed Fertiliser. Very nutrious, NPK, micro-nutrients and lots more.

Make sure the seaweed is well washed, before composting.
Compost with little free water, otherwise it washes out.
You can buy the stuff in bottles.
Good Day
Anthony

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Okay, it doesnt hurt to ask. Or to hear that its a bad idea. Sea sponge might work out as a fertilizer also since it will break down. Synthetic may last quite a while. But maybe its like rooting in potatoes, could work but there are tried and proven meathods. But we cant advance without new things to try or ideas at least. I come from a line of inventive people.
Before I learned "better" my first ficus was in pure shredded, decomposing wood. Now its in a fast draining mix of pebbles and its growing slower. That was a couple years ago when I didnt know "better' and my logic was that as a strangler fig thats what it had before I found it. Now I think I should mix in some shredded or chipped wood from the jungle to see if it speeds up again.. The poor thing has been slip potted several times so another wont hurt it.
Source, I put some pics of blue euch on my cr tree thread. Check out the tuber I found under the soil..

Before it gets buried in the depths of this thread I will give you my opinion (for what its worth) before I forget what it is. LOL The problem with using a sponge to help keep moisture in the soil is that you are inserting a source of moisture that will attract the roots at best and cause them to abandon other portions of the soil mix. I don't think this is what you want to do.

It is possible that getting the sponge wet in the first place could start a cycle of root rot if it were not carefully monitored. What you are essentially doing is artificially creating the kind of imbalance in the soil that we have been trying to get rid of and, one of the major reasons for failure in collected trees. What you do must be done to the entire soil mass or you are creating an imbalance and a possible source for root rot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before it gets buried in the depths of this thread I will give you my opinion (for what its worth) before I forget what it is. LOL The problem with using a sponge to help keep moisture in the soil is that you are inserting a source of moisture that will attract the roots at best and cause them to abandon other portions of the soil mix. I don't think this is what you want to do.

It is possible that getting the sponge wet in the first place could start a cycle of root rot if it were not carefully monitored. What you are essentially doing is artificially creating the kind of imbalance in the soil that we have been trying to get rid of and, one of the major reasons for failure in collected trees. What you do must be done to the entire soil mass or you are creating an imbalance and a possible source for root rot.

Further.....

That is why we should be using one component.

Be it pumice or DE.

There is no way, short of glueing particles together, yes, each individual piece of pumice, lava, and akadama.....
To make absolutely sure you are not creating pockets of particulars....

Let's say that pocket of particulars(the shitty ones) is around that root you need to grow, simply cutting back the others won't work to achieve the balance you seek, because that root is in a shit pocket, if all your soil is EXACTLY the same, cutting back the other roots will work...

Control balance.....
ALL balance.

Sorce

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I totally disagree with this concept. You wrote: That is why we should be using one component. You are not real specific about defining what you are talking about here, that seems to be the way you roll and that's OK, but if you are trying to get a point accros you should at least make it understandable. I don't understand what you are trying to say and I have been buried in this subject for more than fifty years. By one component do you mean just Pumice or DE, or the combination of that and other stuff, making the one component. You don't make sense.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It doesn't matter what the one component is.......I just don't see it being anything but Pumice or DE.... Shouldn't have included that opinion.....

This of course hinges on belief that, no amount of mixing multiple components can scientifically ensure we are not creating shit pockets....
The Boon repotting video is testament to the possibility of even chopstickin wrong can create these pockets.
aviary-image-1452698455441.jpeg

In this scenario pictured. Let's say I need to grow out the thin root of drawn nebari.
Popular teachings, say a simple cut back of the big roots will allow the little one to catch up.
But, if that little root hits a shit pocket, it's catching up will be slower, and we essentially slowed the trees progress for less of the balance we sought....

However....this will be easier to do and achieve our goal of balance if all the soil is the same.....

Yes.... The chances of this happening are slim....but in this game....I'll take a little help anywhere I can get it...

The point of trying to reach perfection while understanding it is impossible.

It's more than a theory.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe it's confusing because roots aren't green.

I think the drawing may have been missed due to the phenomenon of replying to things anxiously before reading down...

This phenomenon is also responsible for missing everything above a "someone quoted you" of you do not go back up to check....
They all become read....and you miss them.

Mmmmmm....

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That is why we should be using one component. If I am a beginner and run into this one statement, followed up with the rest of the post, which immediately contradicts it with what follows. I am left confused.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What you do must be done to the entire soil mass or you are creating an imbalance and a possible source for root rot.

Your context was part of my explanation...
Hence, further....

There is no way, short of glueing particles together, yes, each individual piece of pumice, lava, and akadama.....
To make absolutely sure you are not creating pockets of particulars....

That was my statement agreeing with yours, but expanded.

I understand how it COULD be confusing to A NEWB.

F the internet....I wish we could be holograms in a room!
Rather than words on a page!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The best soil......

One component.

But who believes that!?

You and I are allies in this soil War Vance...

We're bullshitting and someone is gonna lob a live turdcake on us!

"You lean against me, and I'll lean back against you, this way we don't have to sleep with our heads in the mud!" Bubba the Shrimpin Boat Capt.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Your context was part of my explanation...
Hence, further....

That was my statement agreeing with yours, but expanded.

I understand how it COULD be confusing to A NEWB.

F the internet....I wish we could be holograms in a room!
Rather than words on a page!

Sorce
If what you write or post on the F--ing INTERNET means nothing and you don't want it to be useful to someone then why post it???

Our posts must have crossed in posting.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One component
I'll be trying different multi component mixes this year.
I've found straight D.E. is great for decidious trees just straight. But for comers that like it a little on the dry side that it should be cut with something. I'll be trying lava and pumice and haydite and whatever else I can think of to mix in that won't turn to mush.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just laughing!

Loving you guys!

I truly hope it Does make sense....
Cuz it's real!

And Mike is bout to figure it out! Lol...

Seriously.....

I been thinking of conducting a nationwide experiment with seedlings grown in straight 8822, and in BOON mix.

An unsoil, unwar, uncontest, experiment....

To put it all to rest.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'll be trying different multi component mixes this year.
I've found straight D.E. is great for decidious trees just straight. But for comers that like it a little on the dry side that it should be cut with something. I'll be trying lava and pumice and haydite and whatever else I can think of to mix in that won't turn to mush.
Let me know Mike if you find a source for Pumice that does not require selling my house.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let me know Mike if you find a source for Pumice that does not require selling my house.
I will. I look at all agricultural supply places I come across. Going to start hitting feed stores and tack houses. My mother in law has a stable and I'm having her look too.
If there is any to be had in Michigan I'll find it. Or maybe we can get the members of the bonsai club to go in on some. Get a pallet shipped and split the costs.
In the spring I'm ordering from bonsai jack. I'll have some to bring for you to try at least. I still need to get you a bag of fresh picked sphagnum anyways.
I'll never come visit empty handed.

Top Bottom