some brush paintings I have done

Reaction score
I thought I might post some of my Chinese Brush Paintings, that I have recently been working on, to see what you all think ??? When I am not working on my plants, this is usually where I will be found !!!
Sorry if the photos aren't so good... these are about 5ft tall and a little hard to get a really nice photo of... any comments including bad will be greatly appreciated !!! thanks

Reaction score
I actually do these on Rice Paper, with Sumi ink, and watercolors...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice, you definitely have talent, now transfer some of that artistic ability to your trees.

Harry

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like them a lot! I am spending a lot of time looking at them. They are very literal (which is one thing I like about them) yet at the same time they lack some of the dreamlike figurative quality that exists in traditional paintings (which I may be missing). I wonder what they would look like if they were a little softer?

I do not like the title being placed in the center of the painting (personal opinion). I don't mind you signing it there, as long as the signature does not distract from the subject. Right now I think the eye is drawn too much to the fine printing...

Thank you so much for sharing! Do you have an online gallery somewhere?

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, very nice work. I agree with Bnut about not putting the title in the middle of the painting, but otherwise, these are fantastic.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know anything this type of painting, but they are very nice to look at. Thanks for sharing.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Very nice, particularly the vertical pine. Thanks for sharing!

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The vertical pine has a kind of angularity that is unusual in sumi-e, but it adds to the power of the image.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I also have no experience with this art, except to look at it, but I do like the pine very much. The color is so calming, and I love the way it fades out instead of concluding at the base. Very nice. Thanks for sharing it.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Relaxing just to look at them. I'd certainly hang anyone of these in my house! Have you thought about selling them? (Or trading trees for them?)

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies, and compliments... I really do appreciate it!!!
For my "paying" job as my wife likes to call it I paint Murals, and Signs for commercial businesses such as bars and restaurants. With times being a little slow and the frustration of often times having to paint rather dumb stuff, I decided I needed to start doing more of my own work... and try and move towards making this my new "paying" job...
B-Nut your comments are awesome thanks... I have always had a love for chinese / japanese brush painting, and really like working in this media, having said that I am trying to come about it in a slightly different approach than that of the traditional, and parhaps take it in a little bit of a new direction... Main reason being, that personally I feel that trying new things, just progresses the art form and takes it that much further... bullshit aside, I think one might find that there are a lot, and I do mean a lot of traditional paintings out there, a lot of them better than I what can do, without me adding to the collection.
As far as my signature / title I see exactly what you all are saying, and now that it is pointed out to me, I agree and will be making that change !!!
As for an online gallery, it is currently in the works and will let you know as soon as it is up and running...
thanks again for the replies!

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
By the way, I assume you are looking at a live model while painting these. I would be curious to see what it would look like if you tried to freehand a painting?

Regardless, I am one of your fans :) Like others have said, if you don't have a gallery, you need to create one :)

Reaction score
thanks Bill I appreciate it... will post some more that I am currently working on as soon as I am finished.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These are great, I would love to have something like this is my office. Keep it up!

Top Bottom