Some cold stratification help

jwrivers

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello BNuts,

This is my first winter as a Bonsai Nut and I have started several different types of trees from seeds (yes, I am crazy, I'm hooked) and everything seems to be going ok. To my surprise I have some seeds that are starting to sprout already. The Japanese and Tatarian Maple seeds. They have only been cold strating in my fridge for 2 months and all the info I have read says they should strat for 120 days which would not be until May.

Here is my question: What do I do?!!?

Do I leave them alone and wait?
Do I plant them and put them outside.( I live in northeastern Ohio)
Do plant them and put them under lights?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Attachments

• Sprout.jpg
    Sprout.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 50

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If they have sprouted they need light and water, and at that stage warmth. If you plant them keep from freezing.

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen a wide range of "suggested" cold stratification times for JPMaples. Ranging from 60-120 days.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I stratified Japanese Maples last year for 90 days which in my opinion was too short. I only got about a 25% germination rate. In my opinion you should keep the entire lot in the fridge until they start germinating - the seeds themselves will tell you when they are ready. Don't move the seeds until they start to pop.

In your case, if you have seeds already germinating it is a little more confusing. As the prior poster mentioned, any seeds that have begun to open need to be removed and planted. However I am not sure if your whole batch are ready. I know at one point someone on the boards had mentioned that he kept ALL his seeds in the fridge and just removed the ones that started germinating.

Top Bottom