Some photos from GSBF Convention 20122 "California Dreaming"

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks very much for sharing. Those Mendocino Cypress are really nice trees.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks very much for sharing. Those Mendocino Cypress are really nice trees.

They're even better in person. Foliage like a shimpaku only greener that smells like lemons.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
ryan deno.jpg
One more, Ryan's headline demo. He made an amazing transformation on a yamadori Utah Juniper. Sorry I don't have a completed picture. ( I stole this one from Cary's facebook page)
We bought this tree for the convention from the Judds and they were so impressed that they bought it back when it was auctioned. Ryan is going to take it back to his nursery for a couple of years ans graft new roots to shorten the tree so the base is where the top of the white plastic is. I can't wait to see it when the Judds get it back.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im a big fan of the buckeye! (Im on team Aesculus)

great job paul, I wanted to go so bad, but I ended up spending the weekend moving... drove through sac like four times... looking whistfully and the cap city 80 going off to the north....

what other blogs, forums, etc. are covering this exhibition?

timhanson81

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you to everyone who helped put this show on! It was very inspiring to see bonsai of this caliber in person, let alone all California natives. It was a great weekend to be from northern California: world-class native bonsai in Sacramento and World Series Champion San Francisco Giants!

Here are some additional/complimentary pictures of the trees in the show.

P1050242.jpg
Nice light
P1050244.jpg
The shadows were almost most perfect on some of the trees
P1050224.jpg
This California juniper has already been posted above but I had to include it again because it was a big, beautiful tree, and the people's choice award winner
P1050188.jpg
It was cool to see some quality Monterey Cypresses. Very natural looking too

timhanson81

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
P1050226.jpg
Sierra Juniper, winner of the judged contest (This wasn't all California natives but one of them won anyway!)
P1050228.jpg

P1050222.jpg
Ryan Neil's demo tree on Friday. I was sad to have missed the demo on Saturday; hopefully someone will share a picture of the final product.
P1050202.jpg
Little Juniper

timhanson81

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Close-ups. I have some carving to do this winter and I found plenty of inspiration at the show.

P1050217.jpg
Deeply furrowed bark on the Monterey Pine Paul mentioned above. The needle reduction and bark on the Monterey Pines in the exhibit was amazing.
P1050207.jpg
California juniper. Supposedly there was a black widow hiding in one of the hollows of this tree.
P1050204.jpg
Same California juniper
P1050248.jpg
Sierra juniper

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Thank you Tim! Amazing photos. You must have waited for the perfect lighting for each one.
I will save the deadwood photos for carving inspiration also. One thing Kevin Willson said in one of his demos is that he keeps a scrapbook of deadwood close-ups and practices recreating them.
Paul

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
"California juniper. Supposedly there was a black widow hiding in one of the hollows of this tree."

Also an ant nest. I made an emergency run to OSH to buy Johnny some ant poison!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
View attachment 27253
Monterey pine collected by Mr. Kinoshita about 50 years ago. The furrows in the bark are over an inch deep and the old bark extends out to the smallest branches.

Anyone have any more pictures of this Monterey Pine, close ups of the bark, or more info on this tree? I've never seen one with such nice bark. Really Cool!

-Thanks Tim for that picture! sorry I just saw it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone ... and World Series Champion San Francisco Giants!

Tim, thanks for the great photos! I almost put you in my "Gentleman & Scholar" category until you made the comment about the Giants - too bad! I will admit they do have great pitching.

You can redeem yourself by doing one of two things, retract the Giants comment or post more pics of the convention.

JC

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone have any more pictures of this Monterey Pine, close ups of the bark, or more info on this tree? I've never seen one with such nice bark. Really Cool!

-Thanks Tim for that picture! sorry I just saw it.

This tree is just a memory of its former self. Two large branches died about 5 years ago.

This is my teachers tree. It says above that the tree was collected.

It is not.

It also says about 45 years it was collected by Kinoshita.

It was not.

The tree was given to him by his former mentor, as were many of his large cypress all of which were grown from cuttings well over fifty years ago. The monterey pine is not a pine from California, as in, Monterey California, but a pine from Monterey Spain. It was not collected. It was grown from seed.

This photo is from the first Kazari at the Clark Center for Japanese Art.

Attachments

• DSC_00341.JPG
    DSC_00341.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 86

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Make sure to scroll down on the left side to a shot of the huge tree Harry Hirao worked on during the convention. There is a pic of me next to the tree. That was only 9 years ago. I was about 35 pounds lighter and had some brown in my hair.

Who knew?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
very interesting, thanks for the info Al. That bark is just really nice and also differnt from the, "Monterey Pines" i've seen before, don't know if i've seen bark that looked like that on anything but JBP before. thanks

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
very interesting, thanks for the info Al. That bark is just really nice and also differnt from the, "Monterey Pines" i've seen before, don't know if i've seen bark that looked like that on anything but JBP before. thanks

It does not have bark like a JBP at all. The deep fissures are long and the bark is stepped and tight. It is not flaky like JBP.

I have a close up somewhere. I only have about 129.6 thousand pictures to sort thru.

I also noticed that there are about five companies selling seeds with my picture of my teachers tree as a model. Talk about copyright infringement!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Al. I'll post the photo here to show the tree in its prime. Sadly, it is not looking so healthy now...
montpine.jpg

On consideration, Mr. Kinoshita did tell me that the tree was given to him by a friend and I inferred that it had been collected. I wonder about the Spain connection though.

Regardless, this tree and the black pine in the Lake Merritt collection that belonged to my teacher, Mas Imazumi, may be, in my opinion, two of the finest pine bonsai in America.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
It does not have bark like a JBP at all. The deep fissures are long and the bark is stepped and tight. It is not flaky like JBP.

I have a close up somewhere. I only have about 129.6 thousand pictures to sort thru.

I also noticed that there are about five companies selling seeds with my picture of my teachers tree as a model. Talk about copyright infringement!

Not all Black pine bark is flaky and Black Pine bark can be very diverse in look. What I really meant was I've never seen a Monterey Pine with such deep fissures or such thick bark. The only type of pine I've seen with similar bark is Black Pine.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the link, Al. I'll post the photo here to show the tree in its prime. Sadly, it is not looking so healthy now...
View attachment 27365

On consideration, Mr. Kinoshita did tell me that the tree was given to him by a friend and I inferred that it had been collected. I wonder about the Spain connection though.

Regardless, this tree and the black pine in the Lake Merritt collection that belonged to my teacher, Mas Imazumi, may be, in my opinion, two of the finest pine bonsai in America.

Kats, estimates the tree is nearly 80 years old.

Top Bottom