Some projects for next spring

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So, I've come to realize that my collection needs more nice Japanese Maples (thanks Mach5!). To that end, I've begun to collect material to develop over the next decade or two:eek:. Most of the material will be air layered from trees I've planted in my yard, though some will be created from stock I've purchased. I thought I'd post some pics of my upcoming projects now, mainly because I'm bored, and If I post now I'll have to follow through and actually start them next spring:eek::rolleyes:.

To begin, here are two A. p. 'Arakawa', purchased from Martin Sweeney. The double trunk is a 5 year old cutting that is already developing a nice nebari. It will get its roots worked this spring and get placed in the ground for a few years. The triple trunk is an air layer from this past year. It may eventually go in the ground, too, but not this year.

Attachments

• DSCF1784.jpg
    DSCF1784.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 375
  • DSCF1782.jpg
    DSCF1782.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Next is a 6' tall grafted A. p. 'Shishigasgira', purchased for $50 on discount at a local nursery. This one is going to get air layered in multiple places. The leaves on this one are super small and beginning to color up.

Attachments

• DSCF1815.jpg
    DSCF1815.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCF1816.jpg
    DSCF1816.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 272

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Next on the list is A. p. 'Pixie', apparently derived as a witches broom from 'Bloodgood'. The leaves are smaller then on 'Bloodgood' and really hold their color well in full GA sun.
I'm planning on air layering at a fork to get two trunks.

Attachments

• DSCF1814.jpg
    DSCF1814.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 244

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Then there is this one, a dwarf for which I don't have a name (lost it:mad:). The leaves are very small, but this one is VERY vigorous (planted as a 1 gal graft 4 years ago...canopy 5' across now), and the branching and trunks below the foliage are really thickening up.

Attachments

• DSCF1813.jpg
    DSCF1813.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 496

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Finally, e have A. p. 'Seiryu', an upright dissectum that is apparently easy to strike from cuttings. I'll find out in April...:cool:.

Attachments

• DSCF1800.jpg
    DSCF1800.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCF1798.jpg
    DSCF1798.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 176

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thought I'd post some pics of my upcoming projects now, mainly because I'm bored, and If I post now I'll have to follow through and actually start them next spring:eek::rolleyes:.

Good plan. LOL

I do the same but more to force myself to document. Otherwise, I will just keep chopping and not know what happened interim.

Very nice trees and looking forward the progression. :)

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Dario. Hopefully, this will be a fun one to update...maybe, by late June next year, I might have some of these layers in pots:cool:.
I had success in southeast pa when I started my layers in May as soon as leaves were hardening.I separated with 6 weeks before first frost and they were pushing roots out of the colanders I planted in by autumn.With your long season you should have success.I would love to find a shishigashira as I layered an ojishi,the male lion.Enjoy your trees,thanks for sharing.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had success in southeast pa when I started my layers in May as soon as leaves were hardening.I separated with 6 weeks before first frost and they were pushing roots out of the colanders I planted in by autumn.With your long season you should have success.I would love to find a shishigashira as I layered an ojishi,the male lion.Enjoy your trees,thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I've always done my layers as you have, but I'm going to start some of the layers before the leaves push. I think it will be easier to perform without the leaves in the way, at least as far as that short wide dwarf is concerned. I'm also planning on staggering the layers on the 'Shishishigira', starting a few high up on the tree before the foliage arrives, then performing a few more lower down after the leaves harden off. Hopefully, I'll get some meaningful results...stay tuned:D.

srunge55

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Then there is this one, a dwarf for which I don't have a name (lost it:mad:). The leaves are very small, but this one is VERY vigorous (planted as a 1 gal graft 4 years ago...canopy 5' across now), and the branching and trunks below the foliage are really thickening up.

That looks like Murasaki Kiyohime to me (maybe?). I have a small one in my yard also.

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice JMs Dave. I look forward to seeing the progressions. I also have a strong affinity for JM! I have 5 JM (4 Shinchisio and 1 Seigen) that I'll need to airlayer to remove the grafts in Spring and then ground plant.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can't beat 50 $ for the lions mane, they grow so slow, I have a five year old cutting and its about 8" high, the dwarf green maple looks like a lot of the cultivars, its really hard to say, if its murasaki, it should get yellow orange colors in spring I believe.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Lots to look forward to...and exiting material. I am jealous of your color...I only have reds when the leaves are pushing but never in fall.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I applied two air layers to the Shishshagira today. The buds were swelling and I'm doing a little experiment to see how important timing is when applying these air layers. Once the leaves have hardened off, I'm planning on applying several more layers to different parts of the tree. Hopefully, all layers will take:D.

Attachments

• DSCF3135.jpg
    DSCF3135.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF3136.jpg
    DSCF3136.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCF3138.jpg
    DSCF3138.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCF3139.jpg
    DSCF3139.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF3145.jpg
    DSCF3145.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 195

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave, now that you have interupted the flow of nutrients etc. with teh air layer on the main trunk do you feel it would be wise to do another layer above or below that one? Usually on multiple layers I do them on outer branches, I think once the main "artery" has been disturbed there may not be enough energy to sustain additional layers. Have you done a maple this way before, I have never layered a maple is why I ask.

ed

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave, now that you have interupted the flow of nutrients etc. with teh air layer on the main trunk do you feel it would be wise to do another layer above or below that one? Usually on multiple layers I do them on outer branches, I think once the main "artery" has been disturbed there may not be enough energy to sustain additional layers. Have you done a maple this way before, I have never layered a maple is why I ask.

ed

This tree has two main trunks with several smaller sub trunks. The two layers from yesterday were applied way up on smaller branches. The layers planned for later this month will be done lower down. One will be done on a sub trunk that hasn't had anything else done to it. Two others will be done down low, but will be in the same line of other layers. I've never applied multiple layers "in line" like this, but there will be plenty of foliage to support each layer, so I think I should be fine. The main trunk will be layered just above the graft next year.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My husband absolutely LOVES the small weeping maples in yards. Not sure their name...but they never get large. Their leaves toxic...I believe. But a good thought is to maybe...plant him one as a bonsai. Up on a bench much safer for keeping from the dogs.

Planning for spring is a good way to get through the winter blues. Yep...now that you've made a post thread...it is more set in motion the notion you must follow through. :D

Top Bottom