Some undecided trees...

FOX7591

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi i have these 2 trees that i dont know how to style.

A mountain hemlock and a tsumo cypress (not sure of the spelling)

i need some help with getting some ideas.

for the hemlock, i know the deadwood isnt supposed to be there and is kinda ugly but that part was dead so i was practicing :p...

on the cypress, i need to figure out how go fix the top part, the three branches.
and i have to still get rid of the pompoms but i need an image in my head first, so im asking for your help. virtuals do a lot of help:)

thanks,
Wil

Attachments

• phpJOzEgPPM.jpg
    phpJOzEgPPM.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 70
  • phpr7YqF4PM.jpg
    phpr7YqF4PM.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 74
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have more pictures of the cypress you could post? Different angles and closer shots?

Will

FOX7591

Yamadori
Reaction score
sry, tomorrow i will go out and take some more if i have the time.well i do that i will get some pics of the other too for your help.:)

-wil

FOX7591

Yamadori
Reaction score
other angles,

Attachments

• php1cjBGLPM.jpg
    php1cjBGLPM.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 27
  • php8cQUINPM.jpg
    php8cQUINPM.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 36
  • phpOTcHQOPM.jpg
    phpOTcHQOPM.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 17
  • phpLG4sSdPM.jpg
    phpLG4sSdPM.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 18
  • phpwFEXw2PM.jpg
    phpwFEXw2PM.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 22

FOX7591

Yamadori
Reaction score
pic 1 = left
pic 2 = back
pic 3 = right
pic 4 = top
pic 5 = close up

in pic five, the close up the wire is pulling the branch downwards, it used to be straight up... it isnt how i want it though it look ugly, and as for that twig, i can trash it, just throw anything at me :)

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fox,

Pic 2 is your best front although labeled the back, just from a photographic representation. We have not yet looked at the roots. In your original post the bottom branch crosses the trunk and thats a nono.

At this stage you need to do some detail wiring of those branches, flatten the foliage out and that will also reduce the pompom.

I do not know about Tsukumo by cypress Chamaecyparis are reluctant/donm't to back bud on old wood. So be careful of what you remove as it is gone for ever.

Once this wiring as been completed, there are tons of photos to inspire you on the net.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Tsukumo Virtual

Hello Fox...

I have always liked this species of tree for its fine foliage and beautiful trunks. IMO though you have a challenging tree. The presence of only 3 branches makes it difficult to create a convincing image. In addition the thickness of the branches will limit their ability to be significantly moved. However, I do think there are several things that you can do to improve this tree.

The most important would be to significantly thin the foliage pads. In the process I would try to create 2 or 3 pads from each of the existing pads. I used the back view to create a virtual that roughly illustrates what I am describing. From the back, your biggest challenge will the upper back branch. Its current placement tends to break up the silhouette of the image.

When using photographs, offering really specific advice is hard to do. If the tree were mine I would sit down and with the tree held in front of me. I would then rotate and change the angle of tree while evaluating the placement of the trunk and the position of the branches. Pay attention to all aspects of the trunk line...is there taper? how is the movement? does it move toward the viewer (can I change the angle to improve it?). Where is the apex in relation to the root base? You will likely find more than one position that is pleasing to you...at this point begin to examine the branches...perhaps the most important thing is their location in relation to the trunk... do they come out of the trunk in a natural way? how are they placed in relation to the others... is there anything that crosses or creates a conflict with the eye? are they placed on the outside of curves?

For me, it is the above process that will ultimately reveal the best tree to my eye. Once you have found the tree its time start revealing it. I will be anxious to see what you can make of this tree. Good Luck and please keep us posted.
John

Attachments

• virt1.jpg
    virt1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 40

FOX7591

Yamadori
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the roots, this picture was taken from the "back" of the tree.

thanks for the virt, and by the way how do u do such a good virt, is it a program that you use?

( i put a little bit of pumice ontop of the soil for more contrast to make it easier to see. :D )

if any other pics are needed just let me know

thanks

Attachments

• php0IRBqdPM.jpg
    php0IRBqdPM.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom