Sorce 6 Year JBP contest entry.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pines are pretty funny. I have grown a number of species and sometimes it's the weirdest ones that do well for me... banksiana/tabuliformis/pungens/taeda. I avoided JBP because they just didn't do anything for me, then I decided I was missing out so I purchased 2, and killed them very quickly. I guess the species feels the same way about me. I would highly recommend you restart this experiment with Jack pine, they are one of the fastest growing species of pine on earth during their first 15 years of life. I can verify that stat but won't bother until provoked. Extremely cold hardy but don't mind intense heat. They have a bad reputation for being fickle but that's only when they are collected from the wild.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
You won't believe me but JBP are very healthy and thrive here in Brazil. The only issue is keeping them dryish but seeds sprout, seedlings grow, saplings are reppoted and decandling brings a second flush of growth in autumn. I find them easier than JRP in the tropics.

rawlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would highly recommend you restart this experiment with Jack pine, they are one of the fastest growing species of pine on earth during their first 15 years of life. I can verify that stat but won't bother until provoked. Extremely cold hardy but don't mind intense heat. They have a bad reputation for being fickle but that's only when they are collected from the wild.

Well said.

Jack pines have (so far) been pretty good to me. A coworker gave me one of those bookstore bonsai kits, including five jack pine seeds, a tiny block of some sort of soil and a (broken) minuscule pot, and I figured what the heck, stuck the seeds in the fridge (coincidentally, about the same time this contest was starting) and had at it. All five seeds sprouted, I root cut some, and planted all in whatever spare pots I had lying around, and miraculously the two that have survived are now about a foot tall and thriving.

69FDA7B8-7B4A-4B54-B833-2D9BA21958EF.jpeg

Now I just need to figure out what to do with them next in order to turn them into something resembling bonsai. I’ve been monitoring the contest to get some ideas - especially about timing of eliminating “excess” growth.

- Mike

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
timing of eliminating “excess” growth.

If you need new buds cut around nowish.

If you don't need new buds cut before spring Growth.

Sorce

VERMONT USA !!!!

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pines are pretty funny. I have grown a number of species and sometimes it's the weirdest ones that do well for me... banksiana/tabuliformis/pungens/taeda. I avoided JBP because they just didn't do anything for me, then I decided I was missing out so I purchased 2, and killed them very quickly. I guess the species feels the same way about me. I would highly recommend you restart this experiment with Jack pine, they are one of the fastest growing species of pine on earth during their first 15 years of life. I can verify that stat but won't bother until provoked. Extremely cold hardy but don't mind intense heat. They have a bad reputation for being fickle but that's only when they are collected from the wild.
Please tell me more about Tabuliformis! I can buy them and was interested.

Top Bottom