Species Study - Ficus Pumila

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
These Specific Species Study Threads will serve for the documentation and discussion of growing young plants, upwards, together, towards a common “TinyTree” presentation goal.

Here we have Ficus Pumila... slowly becoming my favorite Ficus...

I have many... like... many. 🤣 But will be proceeding with documentation of THIS specimen. (I will obviously burrow information from my other ficus thread as needed)0FE4BE1C-ED55-4119-9991-7E2FCC7F3850.jpeg

@liquid_back_draft came and picked Out/up a pretty sexy lil starter Pumila... if you’d need one for group documentation.. and you are somewhat “chilly” like us.. feel free to grab one.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
You are going to have fam or friends come buy and visit. They are going to find you in the air dangling all tied up by the creeping fig ;) Stuff takes over in 10b.

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have the 'Quercifolia' cultivar of pumila growing at home as a houseplant, and was planning on using it as an accent plant for Saikei. Been growing lots of small cuttings, so you've inspired me to try turning one into a standalone bonsai.

1645486055301.png

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have the 'Quercifolia' cultivar of pumila growing at home as a houseplant, and was planning on using it as an accent plant for Saikei. Been growing lots of small cuttings, so you've inspired me to try turning one into a standalone bonsai.

View attachment 421388
I have been unable to find a good source for the quercifolia!!
they are SO cool!

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have been unable to find a good source for the quercifolia!!
they are SO cool!
I had a lot of trouble too, and I kept seeing SerpaDesign (youtube channel) use Quercifolia in really neat ways in Terrariums. Ended up buying them a while ago here: https://www.groovyplantsranch.com/p...ifolia-oakleaf-creeping-fig-string-of-frogs-6

Looks like they're out of stock right now, but I think they've done a few restocks since I bought mine.

Edit: They do have this in stock, if you don't mind variegation: https://www.groovyplantsranch.com/products/ficus-repens-variegated-variegated-creeping-fig-3

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I had a lot of trouble too, and I kept seeing SerpaDesign (youtube channel) use Quercifolia in really neat ways in Terrariums. Ended up buying them a while ago here: https://www.groovyplantsranch.com/p...ifolia-oakleaf-creeping-fig-string-of-frogs-6

Looks like they're out of stock right now, but I think they've done a few restocks since I bought mine.

Edit: They do have this in stock, if you don't mind variegation: https://www.groovyplantsranch.com/products/ficus-repens-variegated-variegated-creeping-fig-3
I love Connor!!!!!

Also.. I asked the local florist fot quercifolia. and that was what she got.. so I DO have one.. but it is variegated.. 😂😂.. aaaaand I haven't picked it up. 😬

chuckwc1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I love Connor!!!!!

Also.. I asked the local florist fot quercifolia. and that was what she got.. so I DO have one.. but it is variegated.. 😂😂.. aaaaand I haven't picked it up. 😬

You honestly might have to purchase it from somewhere online. I go to alot of local plant nurseries and have yet to see it anywhere.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ficus pumila has always been a temporary resident in my house. It seems intolerant of drying out. I've killed a dozen over the last couple decades. Always intending to be more diligent, always remembering to water it a day too late.

I see several varieties, irregularly at either my local Walmart or Home Despot. Exotic Angel is the wholesaler. Without a predictable pattern, every now and then they will stock hanging baskets with the normal form of Ficus pumila, or sometimes Ficus pumila quercifolia, and sometimes a variegated form of the regular leaf Ficus pumila. But it is irregular as to when it shows up. Look at the hanging baskets. THere will be a mix of various species, and you might find one or two baskets of Ficus pumila.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ficus pumila has always been a temporary resident in my house. It seems intolerant of drying out. I've killed a dozen over the last couple decades. Always intending to be more diligent, always remembering to water it a day too late.

I see several varieties, irregularly at either my local Walmart or Home Despot. Exotic Angel is the wholesaler. Without a predictable pattern, every now and then they will stock hanging baskets with the normal form of Ficus pumila, or sometimes Ficus pumila quercifolia, and sometimes a variegated form of the regular leaf Ficus pumila. But it is irregular as to when it shows up. Look at the hanging baskets. THere will be a mix of various species, and you might find one or two baskets of Ficus pumila.
Thanks, Leo!!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here's the Variegated Pumila (definitely NOT quercifolia) I received as a gift earlier this winter... So I'll love it.. push it's boundaries over the next bunch o'years...see what can be produced.9F24B436-D2D9-480A-95DD-FC4EBC6E5993.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
And seeing as everything is "waking up" from tropical winter in my cool rooms...I think It'll get some decent soil today... a light haircut/adjustment... while reducing the roots JUST a "lil"

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

View attachment 421388
If I could keep this happy then I would absolutely grow these into bonsai. This is probably my favorite ficus and I can not keep it alive.
I dream of seeing a fat base sumo of this or maybe a raft since they will root easily at a node.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I do remember in my plant groups someone called Quercifolia - string of frogs- I now I can’t unsee it. Lol

Top Bottom