Species Study - Ulmus Davidiana var Japonica

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
As I said if work was. Done on these trees in Canada . Then it was done at the experimental farm . Which is ran but the government . The national arboretum is part of the farm . Which 100 years ago was on the fringe of Ottawa know it’s a park. In the middle of the city . Like I said I was fairly confident there might be a tree there .there is 2 the smaller one on the left in the pic and the main one . I did not see any evidence of seeds growing . The arboretum is interesting place sizeable park in a bit of a bowl in the landscape micro climate . Research says 1/2 a zone warmer than the city I was surprised this trip was not aware there was a JBP there it’s mature and the top 1/3 is dead don’t look healthy but it made it that far there is some impressive trees from all over there was cold hardiness testing done on a lot of species . There is apparently a bristle cone pine but I have not found it but lots of cool stuff rare crab apples biggest mugo I have ever seen multiple west coast trees
AWESOME!!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the most important point . Is it proves the cold hardiness of the trees you should have no problem growing them in wisco . As I said the arboretum is a micro climate . But Ottawa winters can be harsh The city itself is slightly better than the outlying area because the river moderates the weather . But it’s harsh regardless of what the climate change idiots say . Not sure you guys want to go there with me 😂😂😂😂😂😂

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You get SLIGHTLY colder than I throughout winter.. AND SLIGHTLY
warmer in summer!

But "broad swings".. our climates are reasonably similar.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've had American elms in development for five or six years. With full, unrestrained growth you get leaves the size of your hand. With ramification in a bonsai pot you can get them down to the size of your thumb, maybe a bit smaller.

I think It depends ON the American Elm...

Every seed-grown tree is different.

In Areas where American Elms are uncommon.. they are probably cutting grown.

I have some AE, only three years in development.. large pot... with leaves SMALLER then my thumb...

So I think it really depends on what characteristics that SPECIFIC seed-grown/collected tree "leans into".

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You get SLIGHTLY colder than I throughout winter.. AND SLIGHTLY
warmer in summer!

But "broad swings".. our climates are reasonably similar.
Your proximity to the Great Lakes . Is the main difference . The huge mass of water a lot of which does not freeze in the winter . Has a lot stronger influence on weather . They moderate the weather the closer you are the more you feel this effect .but it has far reaching effects . Ottawa and Moscow are often used to show this the 2 capitals. Are almost the exact location north on the globe but Moscow is far colder . No water near by . I evenget the effect at home . There is always a degree of 2 difference between Ottawa and Chesterville where I live . Look at a. Map you will find me1/2 way between Ottawa and the border crossing at Cornwall southeast of out away . The closer you get to the St Lawrence river and Lake Ontario the more you feel this moderating effect

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Sheffield's is a good ethical source for rare seed. I have noticed that Sheffield's sometimes relies on Wikipedia information for rare species. Hardiness might be listed as a certain zone but the reality can be a little more or a little less hardy. Often published hardiness ratings are simply guesses from where a tree's native habitat is. Which can be misleading.

For example Osage orange, Maclura pomifera, it's native range was small mostly in Texas, and would suggest it only hardy in zone 7, but it has been planted in all 48 contiguous states and has proven hardy through zone 4.

So view info on websites and catalogs as what is generally thought to be true, but there can be surprises and exceptions. Not everything written in Wikipedia is the result of years of research. Some is just educated guessing.
Absolutely 💯 agree. I'm zone 5/6 (depending sites new and old) and hav3 ossage oranges I've seen in countryside and even further in the upper Michigan I've seen some along roadside of old farm steads. Sadly was never able get any but have recently from a member here so stoked.

Top Bottom