Stand build off

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have been stuck the last few days on a design myself. I'm making a small stand so not much usable area to work with.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Now I am looking for free pdf book on Japanese joinery.
Going down the rabbit hole....

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've made a start too.
Yesterday: Raw materials - Red gum from old roadside guide posts and some old fence palings.
IMGP5485.JPGIMGP5487.JPGIMGP5488.JPG

I'm planning several stands in this run. Not entirely sure of the designs yet but will work out the details as I progress. Not sure if the lighter colored fiddle back board will be part of these designs yet......

Today's progress:
Made up a couple of tops. So far so good.....
IMGP5490.JPGIMGP5491.JPGIMGP5492.JPG

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
You guys are studs. Beautiful stands. Me I just got my planer blades replaced and hooked up to the dust collector.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Feet fitted followed by a few hours sanding - lots of hand sanding when you include curves and the tighter the curves the more difficult sanding becomes.
IMGP5518.JPGIMGP5519.JPGIMGP5520.JPGIMGP5521.JPG

Now to decide on what finish to use........

Meanwhile I've cut more components for the next couple. There's probably enough material for 3 this time........

stewarjm192

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Feet fitted followed by a few hours sanding - lots of hand sanding when you include curves and the tighter the curves the more difficult sanding becomes.
View attachment 404094View attachment 404095View attachment 404096View attachment 404097

Now to decide on what finish to use........

Meanwhile I've cut more components for the next couple. There's probably enough material for 3 this time........
in my experience, tru oil or tung oil with a wax finish looks best, danish oil does not have the solid content that gives a good finish

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You wasted no time building your stands.
Back was playing up last week so on light duties. Bonsai stand building is perfect to keep active but little heavy lifting. Real work has still been accumulating so it could take a little longer to complete these next ones.

Top Bottom