Sterilizing soil using Hydrogen Peroxide

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think there is some misunderstanding of the term 'sterile' in this thread.
Air, water and most other substances all contain many spores and micro-organisms and as @Wires_Guy_wires pointed out even effectively sterile media is quickly contaminated when exposed to air or water so very little materials we have access to is sterile and the more sterile the substance the more likely pathogens can invade and build up numbers.
For plant purposes we just need to get rid of the worst pathogens that might affect the plants, seeds or cuttings we are trying to grow. Pasteurization gets rid of enough pathogens to be an effective solution. The results are not 'sterile' just 'sanitized'. The dry and wet cycles mentioned are another way to reduce the numbers of pests and diseases and make the media safer for use. It won't sterilize the media but will make it safer for the plants you intend to grow.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've mentioned before that I spray a solution of 300 to 1000 ppm peroxide (by diluting 3% peroxide from the pharmacy/grocery) every few days to maintain humidity in the rooting 'terrarium' and nix pathogens that might show up. This also works well, IMHO, to prevent loosing new seedlings to those thingies that cause 'damping off'.

Including mico😟which is needed by many plants other than conifers
Maybe, but they will undoubtedly be back soon (spores wafting in the next breeze).

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've mentioned before that I spray a solution of 300 to 1000 ppm peroxide (by diluting 3% peroxide from the pharmacy/grocery) every few days to maintain humidity in the rooting 'terrarium' and nix pathogens that might show up. This also works well, IMHO, to prevent loosing new seedlings to those thingies that cause 'damping off'.
I also do this and have been doing it for several years.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Radiation. Cobalt-60 lol

Seriously, how long do you think it would stay sterile?

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Today I used diluted peroxide to sterilize re-used soil and plant a Taxodium seedling, wish me luck xD

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shibui has no credibility.
I'm not even gonna go there...

Happy Thanksgiving!
DSD sends
I'll go there. Don't know you @A. Gorilla ...haven't seen enough of you around here, but be sure, i'll take Shibui's advice over you each and every time.
Plz, just stay out my thread...best is to fit your mask...and move on that way 👉

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So why not join the fray, I can only speak form my experience but azalea cuttings I do know about. I have had no difficulties using the following approach. Sift all components used for cuttings to the same size, rinse thoroughly to remove all dust. Dry in the sun and store foe later use or re-use. Water with dilute hydrogen peroxide while waiting for rooting to occur. Sift, Rinse, dry and repeat if wishing to re use.
I use 30 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per litre/ 2 tablespoons per quart for watering and or misting seedlings, cuttings and the surfaces within the propagation unit to control fungus, algae and other nasty things that may interfere with healthy development. Air exchange is important if keeping enclosed.
I use a combination of small akadama, pumice and lava for cuttings. You can always use straight coarse sand sold for children's play boxes. they advertise it as sterilized, but I would rinse thoroughly for dust free use and then dry before using.

Top Bottom