stewartia monadelpha - in development

WEI

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was fortunate enough to nab some great stock from the cedar rose stewartia class of '24. will be posting updates as I go since relatively few of these are documented on this forum, compared to other more popular deciduous species.

fresh out of the box (packed very well, only a few tiny twigs snapped during shipping)
IMG_5734.jpeg

preparing the pot: deep chinese production with a mound of aoki blend (80% akadama, 18% kiryu pumice, and 2% fuji suna lava)

IMG_5735.jpeg

after combing out the outer roots, I left a bit of perlite-heavy (?) soil near the center. chalk it up to inexperience but I was too timid to completely bare-root given all the advice not to bare-root some deciduous species, and into the pot it went. while choosing the front, I thought the first image had balanced side branching, but the trunkline felt a little static. so I opted for a more graceful leaning front. this will be subject to change and am open on suggestions here

IMG_5736.jpeg

nothing like some sweet iced tea on a rainy repotting night after work. here it is balancing precariously for a glamour photo:

IMG_5742.jpeg

and that's it for now. the tree will sit on a shaded southern-facing balcony before transitioning to full virginia sun, and will receive some biogold fertilizer in a few weeks or so. I'm leaning toward just leaving it alone to grow this season, though I'm itching to wire/do some minor pruning (yes/no?). the eventual goal is a show-worthy tree. it'll be another 3-4 years minimum to develop this into a minimal viable product on those lines. I'd like any and all advice from folks familiar with this species - is this a sound plan? any errant steps made already?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So far, so good. I’d be marking some branches to prune in May after the first flush starts to harden off. It will respond with more growth.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I like it - for me I would be chopping the long trunk about here - but I'm not sure what plans you have for the tree but a nice score for sure!

IMG_5742.jpeg

Reactions: WEI

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
So this is where they all went! I waited a day too late for #17...🤣

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’d be marking some branches to prune in May after the first flush starts to harden off. It will respond with more growth.
When removing branches, do you cut flush to the trunk or leave a stub to be removed later?

Top Bottom