Stone Pines

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Rick, the single needle is the juvenile growth needles. Don't even consider doing any work until they produce mature two needle growth.

That's not happening until they reach 5-10 years old..geeze talk about patience. This is a shame because they do have good branch structure.

Rick

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think the biggest issue with these as bonsai is that the mature needles are HUGE - many times longer than the juvenile foliage.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's not happening until they reach 5-10 years old..geeze talk about patience. This is a shame because they do have good branch structure.

Rick
As I said earlier there is always inverse taper on mature specimens so keep an eye on it, I can't wait for the progress of these guys.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's what I've read. Also said if you work on a tree with juvinelle foliage, make sure shoots have hardened off.

Rick

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rick, the single needle is the juvenile growth needles. Don't even consider doing any work until they produce mature two needle growth.
Gary, have seen this immature growth mentioned for these trees on here before. Is this unique to P. pinea or are there others that do this at this size? There are some at neighborhood Safeway store.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is a pretty good read, after I translated it

Rick

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Gary, have seen this immature growth mentioned for these trees on here before. Is this unique to P. pinea or are there others that do this at this size? There are some at neighborhood Safeway store.
I know pinus edulis aka pinion pine does this also I see it all the time here.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When the time is right I'm going to work these trees

Rick

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rick,you do know these trees are zone 7 right.
What about overwintering in a zone 5 location?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Been eyeing this species up the last few weeks, glad to see someone else doing the trailblazing on this one. Didn't have enough faith to take the plunge

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Making me a little greenhouse for these guys.

Rick
I did a fair bit of research because of this thread and learned they can live into zone 11 areas like South florida, and northern Africa is a native region so I figured they naturally have a somewhat shorter and more mild winter. So I've been seeing the same stone pines at home depot since late winter so I know theyve been in cold for awhile now so I pruned and wired mine into the natural flat top form, and put it into my tropical greenhouse which is very much like florida. That's why I said I was playing god I figured leave it out as long as I can each year then start its spring when I decide lol I guess I'll see if it survives.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I did a fair bit of research because of this thread and learned they can live into zone 11 areas like South florida, and northern Africa is a native region so I figured they naturally have a somewhat shorter and more mild winter. So I've been seeing the same stone pines at home depot since late winter so I know theyve been in cold for awhile now so I pruned and wired mine into the natural flat top form, and put it into my tropical greenhouse which is very much like florida. That's why I said I was playing god I figured leave it out as long as I can each year then start its spring when I decide lol I guess I'll see if it survives.

I would like to see your tree. Did you branch prune it already

Rick

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would like to see your tree. Did you branch prune it already

Rick
Yes sir, also the woman at my work said she had them in the tropical greenhouse for like 3 years before they all sold and she said they did great. Here's a quick pic of mine I'll do a thread with better photos though. It definitely will need some time

Attachments

• 20151217_091051.jpg
    20151217_091051.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom