Strange plant friends…

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Good to see some Aussie natives thriving in UK. This variety seems to have narrower leaves than the type I'm familiar with, probably one of the newer dwarf forms.
Syzigium is moderately cold tolerant, probably down to around zero C. They are a rainforest tree so can tolerate indoor conditions and probably better treated as a 'tropical' in most cases.
They also respond better to summer repotting than the traditional early spring timing used for most temperate species.

Don't get too stressed if Bob throws a tantrum and drops a few leaves. They are tough and almost always shoot again after conditions return to normal.

Until you are comfortable with repotting processes just pull or cut the oxalis leaves to reduce competition.

Bonsai boo

Seedling
Reaction score
Good to see some Aussie natives thriving in UK. This variety seems to have narrower leaves than the type I'm familiar with, probably one of the newer dwarf forms.
Syzigium is moderately cold tolerant, probably down to around zero C. They are a rainforest tree so can tolerate indoor conditions and probably better treated as a 'tropical' in most cases.
They also respond better to summer repotting than the traditional early spring timing used for most temperate species.

Don't get too stressed if Bob throws a tantrum and drops a few leaves. They are tough and almost always shoot again after conditions return to normal.

Until you are comfortable with repotting processes just pull or cut the oxalis leaves to reduce competition.
Well it's certainly going to be a challenge! I just hope that I have what it takes to look after this little guy. I have noticed that Bob has dropped a few leaves but my friend said that she found him sitting next to the entrance of the shop so I think he's recovering from the cold... Poor little guy.
So if I'm treating Bob as a tropical plant would I need to get anything aditional beacuse the UK isn't that warm on the best of days. Maybe a Jar like a terrarium? or a scarf?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
So if I'm treating Bob as a tropical plant would I need to get anything aditional beacuse the UK isn't that warm on the best of days. Maybe a Jar like a terrarium? or a scarf?
I'm assuming you intend to keep Bob inside? It's unlikely your home will get below freezing to bother him so scarf is probably only going to be a fashion accessory rather than necessary. Jar or terrarium is overkill and introduces a whole lot of new problems.
Location in your home is important for any indoor plants. Trees need much more light than humans so close to a well lit window is desirable without allowing hot afternoon sun (UK?) to burn or overheat the plants. Cold can also come through windows in winter so give some thought to placement for light. Many indoor growers use grow lights to supply extra light of the correct spectrum for plants that otherwise would not have enough sun.
Indoor humidity can be low with heating and cooling. Indoor plants often benefit from humidity trays - shallow tray of pebbles or sand that are regularly filled with water to provide additional humidity close to the plants. You'll need to do some research to fin different options that may suit your specific conditions.

Leaf drop is common for many indoor plants as they adjust to changes in light, temp and humidity after coming to a new home. It can be frightening but is usually temporary. Just supply the best conditions you can and let Bob deal with the change of location.

Bonsai boo

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm assuming you intend to keep Bob inside? It's unlikely your home will get below freezing to bother him so scarf is probably only going to be a fashion accessory rather than necessary. Jar or terrarium is overkill and introduces a whole lot of new problems.
Location in your home is important for any indoor plants. Trees need much more light than humans so close to a well lit window is desirable without allowing hot afternoon sun (UK?) to burn or overheat the plants. Cold can also come through windows in winter so give some thought to placement for light. Many indoor growers use grow lights to supply extra light of the correct spectrum for plants that otherwise would not have enough sun.
Indoor humidity can be low with heating and cooling. Indoor plants often benefit from humidity trays - shallow tray of pebbles or sand that are regularly filled with water to provide additional humidity close to the plants. You'll need to do some research to fin different options that may suit your specific conditions.

Leaf drop is common for many indoor plants as they adjust to changes in light, temp and humidity after coming to a new home. It can be frightening but is usually temporary. Just supply the best conditions you can and let Bob deal with the change of location.
Thank you this has been very helpful!
So Bob has a nice well lit space on a shelf which seems to be the best place since there are no drafts or direct sunlight. The room is warm because it likes to trap heat so that should be good. Good call on the humidity tray - I'll definitely get on that.
Thank you again and for taking the time to respond in depth ☺️

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I like that the nursery tag is still on Bob.
Thats gangster. I think I will start doing the same.
thank you. And good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Boo. Whatever happens to Bob, if this hobby (art form) is of interest to you, don't give up. It's a journey rather than a destination. If you get on the rollercoaster, you might not want to get off.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol yes Bob will be better off without friends sharing his living quarters (pot). A friend in an adjacent pot would be acceptable if you want him to have a friend.

Bonsai boo

Seedling
Reaction score
Boo. Whatever happens to Bob, if this hobby (art form) is of interest to you, don't give up. It's a journey rather than a destination. If you get on the rollercoaster, you might not want to get off.
I often forget that failure is a lesson and not a sign to give up😅 so thank you for reminding me :)

Bonsai boo

Seedling
Reaction score
Lol yes Bob will be better off without friends sharing his living quarters (pot). A friend in an adjacent pot would be acceptable if you want him to have a friend.
Oh that's actually a really good idea - do you have any friend recommendations? I was tempted to plant the Oxalis but then I read about the exploding seeds so that's a definite nope :(

Bonsai boo

Seedling
Reaction score
🤣😂 hi Bob
Lol
Are we sure this is an indoor tree though? Leaves look very olivish and very outdoorish
Bob says 'Hi' - The tag does say that he's an indoor plant but with further reading, I have found that he could be an outdoor plant if conditions are favourable.
He looks like he's enjoying his spot on my shelf though so I'm happy if he's happy😁

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bob says 'Hi' - The tag does say that he's an indoor plant but with further reading, I have found that he could be an outdoor plant if conditions are favourable.
He looks like he's enjoying his spot on my shelf though so I'm happy if he's happy😁
There are no "indoor" plants. Only plants that can tolerate being indoors to varying degres.

Tropical species can sometimes fit the bill, particularly ficus and schefflera.

Indoor conditions are pretty stressful for any plant. Extremely low light (even with supplemental "grow" lights), extremely low humidity levels (lower than a desert's with air conditioning and/or central heating) --humidity trays do VERY little to help and can actually make things worse if the tray holds enough water to come in contact with the bottom of the pot, which can keep the soil soggy. The only way to reliably and effectively provide humidity is to dedicate a room and get a humidifier for the entire space, which can lead to other problems like mold. Air circulation is critical also, as indoor plants tend to develop mold and spider mites. A small fan set on low directed at the tree would help.

The optimal solution for indoor plants is to put them outside for half the year, from late spring (once frost danger has passed) to autumn (back in before frosts arrive). That gives the plant a chance to recharge and grow without the stress. The tree will limp along inside until the spring comes again using the resources it stored up when growing outdoors.

Keeping bonsai inside greatly complicates the entire learning curve for bonsai, forcing people unfamiliar with bonsai to also learn how to care for a houseplant along with bonsai needs (some needs are similar, but others not so much)

FWIW, I've found Australian brush cherry becomes very unhappy being inside all the time. They lose all of their leaves over a few months, then sulk until they die or become shadows of their former selves. Sorry...That's been my experience. I had two of these when I started over 20 years ago.

Of course if you have no "outside" options, you're stuck and have to deal with the situation. Best place for the tree is the brightest spot in a room Windowsills are not the greatest place, as they can be drafty in the winter, and intensely hot in the summer.

Top Bottom