Strange plants growing around my bonsai tree

Deadwood

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any experience with artillery fern? I bet not. You can clip it and use it as a ground cover for your tree-it won't hurt a thing. You think its killing that tree.................its probably sick because its indoors on window ledge.
Not to mention a "ground" cover...intended for ground applications in which case the tree would be in a soil that can support a large tree, planted in the ground and not a pot, As well as any groundcovers (mostly read invasive species)....not to sound snooty...but id spend more time with a closed mouth and an open ear...you learn more that way!

lape99

Seedling
Reaction score
A lot of you are saying that it could be a serissa, I googled it and it looks a lot like it, although I didn't notice any bad smell when poking the root or soil as Brian Van Fleet suggested.
Was it a bad idea to keep it on a window sill? I thought this way it would get more sunlight and during summer it looked pretty good.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
A lot of you are saying that it could be a serissa, I googled it and it looks a lot like it, although I didn't notice any bad smell when poking the root or soil as Brian Van Fleet suggested.
Was it a bad idea to keep it on a window sill? I thought this way it would get more sunlight and during summer it looked pretty good.
You've just chosen a difficult plant to keep in your situation. Many experienced growers have problems when they bring serissa inside, even when using supplementary lighting. Also, bonsai in general do better in soil that drains quickly. This one appears to be in soil that is sort of like muck. The roots are probably not happy. I'm not sure that repotting now is a good idea though. My advice is to give it as much light as you can and don't overwater it. Maybe it will pull through. Good luck.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, the tree is inside all the time. I attached a photo where you can see the leaves.
I live in Lithuania.

Is it wise to take it outside since it is pretty cold, around +5 degrees celsius, windy and rainy.
It would really help if you update your profile so we can give you better advise.

It is likely not a good idea to put it out now but as Mat mentioned, give it as much light as possible and hope it sustains it until spring. Then take it outside that time.

Good luck!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
...and really be careful NOT to overwater...the soil looks very heavy and the tree, with its withered leaves, won't be pulling much water from the soil. In fact, I suspect the soil may be the reason your tree is in such poor condition.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The weed probably wasn't helping matters, but I think it's a stretch to blame the poor health of the tree entirely on that. Serissa are known for being difficult to maintain in cold locations. This one has been kept in a window sill in what seems to be pretty lousy soil. I doubt it would look much better even if the artillery fern was never in the equation.

I don't know why any of you would spend time defending ground covers used in bonsai. It is true you MIGHT get away with them for a long time but in the event you start having problems with a tree it is always best to get rid of any ground cover. They are living things that do two things: They use the same resources your tree does and their roots occupy the same soil your tree does. Both resources are important to your tree and if the tree is in trouble the first thing to go should be ground cover. You have to decide which is more important: The ground cover or the Bonsai.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
...and really be careful NOT to overwater...the soil looks very heavy and the tree, with its withered leaves, won't be pulling much water from the soil. In fact, I suspect the soil may be the reason your tree is in such poor condition.

At this point that is probably true but the activity of this Artillery Fern may be mostly responsible for the break down of the soil.

Darija

Seed
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m new here. i had my first bonsai for a 3months now. In a first few weeks I notices new leaves growing on one side of a trunk, leaves were slightly lighter and thinner from the rest but I thought nothing weard of it, since they were young new leaves. That have grown into a branch allready and it stayed that colour and texture. I’m a bit confused, looks like another plant. I want guys your opinion. I will attach some pictures. I’m really curious to hear what you think. :)FCA8449D-6DDE-43F1-95D9-C8832456F2E5.jpeg86E2B948-D2D2-49A9-82F7-B8BFF79DF810.jpeg1431806A-F88C-4067-8D95-4E544A089712.jpeg16EB51D5-40F1-41E2-A426-29EDBF1AE3FE.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone, I’m new here. i had my first bonsai for a 3months now. In a first few weeks I notices new leaves growing on one side of a trunk, leaves were slightly lighter and thinner from the rest but I thought nothing weard of it, since they were young new leaves. That have grown into a branch allready and it stayed that colour and texture. I’m a bit confused, looks like another plant. I want guys your opinion. I will attach some pictures. I’m really curious to hear what you think. :)View attachment 410836View attachment 410837View attachment 410838View attachment 410839

It looks like growth from the rootstock.

The smaller "more preffered" foilage is grafted above it.

Sorce

Darija

Seed
Reaction score
It looks like growth from the rootstock.

The smaller "more preffered" foilage is grafted above it.

Sorce
Should I trim it? I just noticed there is more. Thanks for the reply :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should I trim it? I just noticed there is more. Thanks for the reply :)

I reckon yeah.

I'd probably take some cuttings from the small foliage stock and get it on its own roots.

More plants more fun!

Sorce

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
OP, i have several serissas and I almost didn't recognize your tree because the trunk has not lived outdoors so it's so clean. Rain, wind and other natural elements cause the trunk and branches to discolor but the tree can be cleaned with a toothbrush. Also, it appears you haven't been clipping the tips of the branches to shorten the internodes and reduce the size of the leaves. You need to do that!

Your tree appears on the verge of death to me. How long has it lived in the windowsill? How long have you had it? This is a tree that likes sunlight. Please invest in a grow light. Don't blast it right away but it needs additional light desperately. Put the grow light on it and start slowly and work your way up. I've never used a grow light but many here have and I would ask them for advice after you get one.

Also, come spring it needs to be potted in bonsai soil. It's time to take it out of potting soil. It's not bad that's it's been in potting soil but it's plenty big enough to repot in bonsai substrate. You can buy a bag on many sites online and a grow light asap. Don't repot until spring!

Slow down on watering this plant in fall and winter.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1638518804445.png

OP has not been here since the last post in this thread 9 years ago. I doubt the serissa is still alive.

@Darija welcome to the nuthouse. For your next tree, please do not post in an existing old thread but start one of your own. That is less confusing to people.

Top Bottom