Struggling boxwood

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
This boxwood20210109_203854.jpg20210109_203755.jpg has been struggling all year, and now some trips are dying. I've just repotted in 50:50 spahgnum:perlite in hopes of reviving it.

I'm considering bringing it inside to grow under lights and break its dormancy early (I've read they can be grown indoors), alternatively I can leave it in an unheated shed until spring (3-ish months away)

Which is the best course of action?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would be curious to know too. I've had a couple of boxwoods do this too. A horticulture graduate tells me it's some kind of disease that can't be cured consistently.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What was it planted in before?
Same pot?

Lack of attention kills em real good.

Sorce

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
What was it planted in before?
It was in a poorly-aerated compost mix (I didn't know about bonsai soil when I potted) in a slightly bigger pot, and didn't really grow any roots for a year.

I've read they prefer slightly drier soil so I guess that's the culprit.

Ollie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Possibly, I might give it an anti-fungal spray.

So bring in or leave outside?

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
When you repotted how much of the root system did you prune back? I suggest keep outside in a sheltered spot such as against a wall and protect the roots eg with free draining mulch or wrap pot in bubble wrap - as its in quite a small pot .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought repotting might reduce its hardiness?
We should rewind to how that tree got in the old pot situation, the one it suffered in.

The idea is to avoid "confusing" the tree. If you are in a position where you think further confusion, ie, bringing it indoors, will help, we should be figuring how to prevent this in the future.

Sorce

Top Bottom