Stunning Mid Century Japanese Woodblock of Lilly

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From my old days of framing, I am offering this authentic beautiful Japanese Wood Block Print. Honestly, having forgotten so much of this, I do not remember the artists name, though I am sure I would recognize it upon hearing it. Because I am done framing, I have to be very selective with the prints I still have unframed, and it makes no sense to keep this print in the closet. The print is in its original presentation folder and though the folder has wear and tear, the actual print is in very good condition. The image size is about 10-1/2 x 15-1/2 inches. I am offering this print first here before I move it to another venue. Price with shipping within the USA is $80 by MO or PayPal.
IMG_7585.JPGIMG_7587.JPGIMG_7590.JPGIMG_7589.JPGIMG_7588.JPG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice woodblock! 1950's era. Hanmoto Uchida is the publisher. He handled many Shin hanga woodblock artists' work. I don't know the artist, but Kawarazaki Shodo was a pretty active maker of woodblock prints of flowers back then. Also Nisaburo Ito. Don't know if it's one of theirs however. I'd bet even money its a Shodo.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice woodblock! 1950's era. Hanmoto Uchida is the publisher. He handled many Shin hanga woodblock artists' work. I don't know the artist, but Kawarazaki Shodo was a pretty active maker of woodblock prints of flowers back then. Also Nisaburo Ito. Don't know if it's one of theirs however. I'd bet even money its a Shodo.
Thanks rockm, I knew I would recognize the name. It is by Shodo.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @rockm . I bought this print at an antique shop years ago for like $30 bucks. I just loved the composition. Never put any thought into the origination. With your knowledge though, do you recognize the style or the mark at the bottom? The frame has a paper back which I’ve never cut open, so maybe my answer is back there, but I figured I’d ask you first.
IMG_5849.jpegIMG_5850.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @rockm . I bought this print at an antique shop years ago for like $30 bucks. I just loved the composition. Never put any thought into the origination. With your knowledge though, do you recognize the style or the mark at the bottom? The frame has a paper back which I’ve never cut open, so maybe my answer is back there, but I figured I’d ask you first.
View attachment 485624View attachment 485625

This is a Kawase Hasui. A top Shin Hanga artist. Shin Hanga prints which translates to "new prints," came after the Ukiyoe prints everyone typically associates with Japanese prints. Hokusai's "The Great Wave off Kanagawa" is a classic Ukiyo-e print. Shin Hanga artists were producing art from the beginning of the 20th century to the mid-60's or 70's, some even into the 80's. They were a combination of Japanese artistry, but had adopted a more western flavor in composition. There subject matter can cover landscapes, Kacho-e/kacho-ga (bird and flower) and Bijin (women's portraits).

Prints come in many versions, originals and reprints. Some reprints are more valuable than others, depending on color saturation, color choices, versions (some prints have night or day versions created by using different colors on the same blocks, etc) I'm not an expert, but I think the red circular seal indicates this is a posthumous edition of the print, made after the artist died. That is typical of Japanese woodblocks where the printing blocks survive well after the artist it gone. Some are re-carved, some are reused outright. By and large posthumous prints aren't as valuable as original prints made during the artist's lifetime. However, that's a relative thing.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a Kawase Hasui. A top Shin Hanga artist. Shin Hanga prints which translates to "new prints," came after the Ukiyoe prints everyone typically associates with Japanese prints. Hokusai's "The Great Wave off Kanagawa" is a classic Ukiyo-e print. Shin Hanga artists were producing art from the beginning of the 20th century to the mid-60's or 70's, some even into the 80's. They were a combination of Japanese artistry, but had adopted a more western flavor in composition. There subject matter can cover landscapes, Kacho-e/kacho-ga (bird and flower) and Bijin (women's portraits).

Prints come in many versions, originals and reprints. Some reprints are more valuable than others, depending on color saturation, color choices, versions (some prints have night or day versions created by using different colors on the same blocks, etc) I'm not an expert, but I think the red circular seal indicates this is a posthumous edition of the print, made after the artist died. That is typical of Japanese woodblocks where the printing blocks survive well after the artist it gone. Some are re-carved, some are reused outright. By and large posthumous prints aren't as valuable as original prints made during the artist's lifetime. However, that's a relative thing.
Well how do ya like that! Reprint or not, I’m happy to know the original print and artists origin! Thanks Rock!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well how do ya like that! Reprint or not, I’m happy to know the original print and artists origin! Thanks Rock!
You can't really tell what edition this is unless you look at the seals in the margins. Those are currently covered by the matting. The Doi seals are publisher's marks that tell what is going on with the particular print, edition, date, etc.

I frame prints to allow those seals to show--the Hasui print below is mine. Some don't like to leave them visible when framing. And in some bad cases (which devalues the print significantly--they have been trimmed off by someone trying to fit the print into a frame. Since yours is in a matted folder, it probably has NOT been trimmed and has been in storage. FWIW, many, many many of the shin hanga prints sourced in America originate from the Robert O.Mueller Collection. He was instrumental in getting shin hanga popularized and even produced. He worked with many of the shin hanga artists and publishers in the 50's. His collection was donated to the Smithsonian's Museum of Asian Art a decade or so ago. Before that, Muller sold thousands of them to the public and art dealers around the country.

Attachments

• hasuiseal.jpg
    hasuiseal.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 8
  • hasui.jpg
    hasui.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom