Styling advice for a very big ficus

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Hello, new here! I just acquired this large ficus pre-bonsai and need styling advice. Trying to avoid falling victim to the temptation of artificial alternating pads, looking to try something a bit more dramatic or natural. Would appreciate your help. Thanks!

IMG_20180921_082348.jpgIMG_20180921_082422.jpg

jtanch

Seed
Reaction score
i would wait till summer to do major work on this guy. super pretty. maybe for the winter time you can let it grow, encourage lots of humidity to work on aerial roots. it doesnt really need to thicken the trunk up anymore (IMO) and banyans usually do well with multiple trunks, i would try to cut the lateral branch maybe and let the top grow like heck to get some aerial roots

Reactions: Meh

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I see wicked potential in this tree - awesome score.
The aerial root holding down the side branch will be a strong feature of this tree imo.
looks like there is another aerial root opposite it to hold down the other side branch...

Reactions: Meh

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
i would wait till summer to do major work on this guy. super pretty. maybe for the winter time you can let it grow, encourage lots of humidity to work on aerial roots. it doesnt really need to thicken the trunk up anymore (IMO) and banyans usually do well with multiple trunks, i would try to cut the lateral branch maybe and let the top grow like heck to get some aerial roots
Thanks for the advice!

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
I see wicked potential in this tree - awesome score.
The aerial root holding down the side branch will be a strong feature of this tree imo.
looks like there is another aerial root opposite it to hold down the other side branch...
Thanks, the aerials are what had me so excited about this.

There is a challenge with the first two branches: the one that comes off the trunk first (on the left) is super thick and bends up, while the next branch (right) curves downward so aggressively it ends up looking like the primary branch. I doubt wiring can resolve this. What do you think about repotting at an angle like in the attached photo? It is a "static" position, but feels much more balanced.IMG_20181004_200243_1.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where do you live? Adding a location will help people give seasonally appropriate advice. If it were mine I'd reduce the top and go with a short, wide banyan style.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Where do you live? Adding a location will help people give seasonally appropriate advice. If it were mine I'd reduce the top and go with a short, wide banyan style.
Chicago. Growing in south window with supplemental grow lights. Not planning major work now, but want to do some primary wiring and a little thinning to get a head start on the spring. More just trying to determine the overall direction to take it. I like the Banyan style, but have never styled one before. Not sure how I would develop a new apex--there are three low branches then a long section of trunk, three more branches, then awful apex.

Top Bottom