systemics? Anti fungal and insecticide

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dear All,

Later this year I might be headed to Mexico. I thought I might look for some systemic insecticide (and perhaps miticide) for my indoor plants. Every winter they get some pest which is really jard to get rid of with non-professional over the counter stuff available in the EU.

Similarly, I have a pine with fungal infections, for which no products are available to "the public" within the EU. In early spring needles of last year turn yellow and drop, up to 90% of the needles drop off during candle expansion.

Could those of you in the americas that use this kind of stuff make recommendations of active ingredients/brands that I should consider? Mexico will probably have the same brands available as in the USA I suspect..

I have heard of bonide crystals I think as good systemic insecticide? But strictly indoor use, correct?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonide Granules are made for inside and outside. I use both, there is little difference. The outside formula I have also has plant food. Not enough to be of any great concern though.
When I bring my tropicals in for the winter season I put Bonide Granules in nearly every pot. It is not the end to all my insect problems but I feel it is a big help.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had good luck with this for pests and bionide infuse granules for fungus.
I use the Bayer just after flowering on those species for the bees safety.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a couple links for stuff that you can order from BE and the UK.
Maybe saves you the hassle of border security.

Also, if you want to receive a couple samples of my natural antibiotic producing fungi, let me know. I'm in the process of making new inoculants anyway.
But I have to mention that thus far, only scots pines seem to do the mycorrhizal dance with them. Still in the testing phase for everything else.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BE and the UK.
Belgium? Hm.. that would be nice but do they not follow eu rules? Or are de and nl so much stricter?

UK will not work as all non eu parcels are held at customs in germany and you have to show the content. ..

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Belgium? Hm.. that would be nice but do they not follow eu rules? Or are de and nl so much stricter?

UK will not work as all non eu parcels are held at customs in germany and you have to show the content. ..
I was able to order Roseclear ultra without any issues.
Belgium has quite relaxed rules when it comes to insecticides. Karate compo and KB multisect are both banned here, but you can order those online from Belgian webstores. Pretty decent systemics.

PieterVE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was able to order Roseclear ultra without any issues.
Belgium has quite relaxed rules when it comes to insecticides. Karate compo and KB multisect are both banned here, but you can order those online from Belgian webstores. Pretty decent systemics.

Tx for the info, I'll have a look at them for my trees !

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
@Wires_Guy_wires
If I google on the brand names you mentioned in your post #7 I can find them online in the Netherlands.
Most of those shops also sell bio insecticide products of the brands Ecostyle and Edialux.
Can you say something about the bio products of those brands?

Another question: Which product would you recommend to use on junipers with tip blight?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If I google on the brand names you mentioned in your post #7 I can find them online in the Netherlands.
Yeah, that's how I found them too, but they are shipped and sold from Belgium.

I'm always cautious with bio products because when I use insecticides at all, I want them to work immediately and as effective as possible. I've dabbled with biological treatments for a decade, from concentrated garlic to DE powders, and my results boil down to: if you want to do biological control, make sure the plant is healthy and neem oil. That's about all there is. I remember Ecostyle selling sodium silicate to treat mildew, and daaaamn did that work! It defoliated entire plants and nearly killed them with sodium! They should have used potassium silicate instead, sold in art stores as kaliwaterglas. I don't trust companies that sell stuff that kills plants.
Nematodes and bacteria are cool, but they're usually meant for soil use and they have a hard time infecting insects on the foliage.

For tip blight I recommend having a good look at your soil. Most cases of tip blight are root issues and misdiagnosed as tip blight. A antifungal treatment wouldn't help fix drowning roots.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I have heard of bonide crystals I think as good systemic insecticide? But strictly indoor use, correct?
In the US this is indoor use by law, not because it only functions indoors. The active ingredient is imidacloprid which is a neonicatinoid and is highly toxic to pollinators (bees). As such it works very well on outdoor trees as well and I have used it to get rid of adelgid infestations that plagued some pines for years. It crushes most piercing, sucking, boring insects. Precautions can and should be taken, this is important to me as we keep bees here as well. The trees can be wrapped in “no-see-um” mesh which is a fine netting that is used to keep tiny biting insects off you in the woods and works to keep pollinators off treated trees. The trees should also be kept inside a greenhouse or garage if possible. I have an insect proof mesh tent. This stuff should only be used on infestations that have no other course of action and are life and death to the plant… if it’s indoor plants then no one seems to care and use it to your hearts content 🤷🏻‍♂️

Disclaimer: Check the laws where you are and I may or may not have ever done any of this (in the past) but if I did this is how.

*edit: also, refrain from applying within 4-8 weeks of the plant flowering. This is to avoid the toxin in the flowers which is how pollinators end up effected.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the US this is indoor use by law, not because it only functions indoors. The active ingredient is imidacloprid which is a neonicatinoid and is highly toxic to pollinators (bees). As such it works
thx, yes, well aware of the reasons. Buut, if you have plants that for they umptith year have woolly aphids that live in the soil you need a good systemic. In spring we decided to toss out the 2 worst infected but alas.. it is back in force again. I have not been able to find something in the EU that really works. And indoors is should be ok. Still a long time for plants to move outside again.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
thx, yes, well aware of the reasons. Buut, if you have plants that for they umptith year have woolly aphids that live in the soil you need a good systemic. In spring we decided to toss out the 2 worst infected but alas.. it is back in force again. I have not been able to find something in the EU that really works. And indoors is should be ok. Still a long time for plants to move outside again.
Those insecticides I mentioned get rid of whooly aphids. And scale. And spider mites. And bees, and probably cats too.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
BONUS POINTS!!!!
As much as I am neutral about cats.. Cats lack the enzymes to break down a whole lot of insecticides so it builds up in their organs and fat tissue.
Reptiles lack those enzymes too by the way.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As much as I am neutral about cats.. Cats lack the enzymes to break down a whole lot of insecticides so it builds up in their organs and fat tissue.
Reptiles lack those enzymes too by the way.

The last time we tried to exterminate cats, we killed a third of the poplulation of Europe.

Top Bottom