Anti-theft devices

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A friend asked if a tracking device could be placed in the pot...to be found if stolen. unsure if possible. But, we have discussed theft of bonsai in the past.
This tech has shown some promise with bonsai. It's the same tech that is used for IDing lost dogs.

A rice grain sized chip with electronic ID info, and/or tracking device is injected ainto a dog or cat, or whatever. That chip contains contact info and registration info for the chip's owner. The chip is read by a hand held device that veterinarians have -although readers are available generally. Tracking chips are also out there, but they're bigger and more expensive.

I have heard that a few bonsaists have put those chips in their trees--as in drilled a small hole into the trunk and inserted a chip. The small hole heals up, chip can't be easily seen or removed. Of course if a tree is stolen, someone would have to know the particular tree even HAD a chip. A decent way to show you actually own a recovered tree and to help with the legal case against the thief (if they're caught)....

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tech has shown some promise with bonsai. It's the same tech that is used for IDing lost dogs.

A rice grain sized chip with electronic ID info, and/or tracking device is injected ainto a dog or cat, or whatever. That chip contains contact info and registration info for the chip's owner. The chip is read by a hand held device that veterinarians have -although readers are available generally. Tracking chips are also out there, but they're bigger and more expensive.

I have heard that a few bonsaists have put those chips in their trees--as in drilled a small hole into the trunk and inserted a chip. The small hole heals up, chip can't be easily seen or removed. Of course if a tree is stolen, someone would have to know the particular tree even HAD a chip. A decent way to show you actually own a recovered tree and to help with the legal case against the thief (if they're caught)....
Wow, very creative indeed!

-norwegian_blue-

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Yep, those chips (they come in a syringe) and their readers can be purchased online. I've seen them on eBay for under $10. May not be a bad idea for high dollar trees!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure. In practice, trees that are stolen are rarely recovered. And with a number of good pictures you can proove it is your tree. A real tracking chip requires a battery and needs to be exposed enough to send out a signal.

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm looking into putting a gps tracker buried in the substrate or attached to the bottom of the pot. They need to be charged once a week and cant be tracked if the unit is outside a 15 mile radius. This only works if you have a (nest) camera that has motion activation tech and notifys you via email. So say your at work and your phone buzzes and it's an email notification and holy smokes your watching some prick or pricks jacking your trees you still have a chance with that tracker in locating them for law enforcement. I think it's worth it especially for those trees that are specimens...and as tech gets better and better charging the unit will go from once a week to once a month and that radius will get larger every 6 months. I looked into these a few months ago and I would bet I find one now for cheaper or the same price with better tech.

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
I say it only works with a security camera because of the tech limitations and so your notified right away.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't use any... I use dogs, lights, cameras, and an alarm system.

If you are just looking for ideas of how you might secure them, a nursery here runs a pipe down the middle of the bench and literally chains the expensive trees to the pipe. Ugly, but effective.
What alarm system? Interiors or exterior? I'm thinking to put a large tree in my front south facing garden but anchoring to the ground with a hidden thick wire from inside the bottom of the pot (so it won't fall over and making it harder for the thief) to a buried screw-in dog ground anchor stake and underneath the monkey pole some sort of personal alarm 'rape alarm' tied to the pot.. I don't think it is very easy to just pull a tree from a pot as we all have noticed while repoting.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What alarm system? Interiors or exterior? I'm thinking to put a large tree in my front south facing garden but anchoring to the ground with a hidden thick wire from inside the bottom of the pot (so it won't fall over and making it harder for the thief) to a buried screw-in dog ground anchor stake and underneath the monkey pole some sort of personal alarm 'rape alarm' tied to the pot.. I don't think it is very easy to just pull a tree from a pot as we all have noticed while repoting.
Especially if it is anchored in with wire😉

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You'd be surprised how fast someone will run once they realize they're trying to be pecked by chickens.
yes yes yes. as an adrenaline rush we used to approach my buddy noahs roosters and then get chased by them trying to drive 3" spurs into our backs. great times

"In extreme cases, aggressive, overly territorial roosters will attack their humans. Even the sweetest young rooster can change his attitude suddenly so never turn your back on him or you may have a spur in your calf.

Spurs. Just the sound of the word makes me nervous. The pain that’s been caused by these bone-like structures has given a name to other devices intended to cause discomfort (think cowboy spurs).

If you have roosters, you know spurs are one of the most nerve-wracking things about roosters, or your barn in general.

A rooster spur to the back of the leg is excruciatingly painful, and could even be deadly, and it can cause infections and a newfound fear of your rooster. "

Last edited:

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yes yes yes. as an adrenaline rush we used to approach my buddy noahs roosters and then get chased by them trying to drive 3" spurs into our backs. great times

"In extreme cases, aggressive, overly territorial roosters will attack their humans. Even the sweetest young rooster can change his attitude suddenly so never turn your back on him or you may have a spur in your calf.

Spurs. Just the sound of the word makes me nervous. The pain that’s been caused by these bone-like structures has given a name to other devices intended to cause discomfort (think cowboy spurs).

If you have roosters, you know spurs are one of the most nerve-wracking things about roosters, or your barn in general.

A rooster spur to the back of the leg is excruciatingly painful, and could even be deadly, and it can cause infections and a newfound fear of your rooster. "

Yea I will always remember a friend fighting cock as the most boldly, aggressive animal I have encounter (fortunately) needles to say that it didn't give me chance to do anything but to run for dear life.. 😂

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yea I will always remember a friend fighting cock as the most boldly, aggressive animal I have encounter (fortunately) needles to say that it didn't give me chance to do anything but to run for dear life.. 😂
we thought it was a big joke, but we were fast and athletic; the joke could have been over real quick

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We had a flock of 7 guineas when we lived in the rural farmlands. They are very entertaining to watch. We bought them as chicks, and did the brooder-to-box-to-pen, thing, and once they were big enough, would open the pen door each morning so they could pick and scratch, and they’d return to the pen to roost at dusk. Eventually, they quit roosting inside the pen, opting to roost on top of it. I’m told they are good to eat, and prolific breeders, but we sold ours before they reached that point.
They are all dark meat, if I remember correctly. The meat is a lot like ringneck pheasant.🤗

I do want to also agree about how a Tom turkey can be nasty. The same is also true of a male goose (gander). Problem is those lazy buggers insisted on sleeping at night and for some reason the guineas were more alert.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Taken before my new home, I can breath easier now I’m not in Philly, he barks at everything In the backyard past 8 pm

Attachments

• AC99736C-4393-4744-A193-DF6F08102C57.jpeg
    AC99736C-4393-4744-A193-DF6F08102C57.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom