Syzygium Buxifolium Help - Brown Leaves

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
I got a fairly large well established Chinese Myrtle (Syzygium Buxifolium) it had a lot of new shoots and looked generally happy when i got it last week.
I put it outside in a fairly sunny location but the leaves have been slowly getting brown spots and going more and more brown.

any idea what the problem is?

20180521_213429.jpg20180521_213447.jpg20180521_213454.jpg20180521_213500.jpg

It's it possible that they are sun/wind burned? if it was indoors it may not be used to the sudden change. Not that it's a huge deal but it looks like Syzygium australe. I will confess I've never seen Buxifolium... Also looks like it needs a repot into better draining soil at some point. you might try watering with a 20:1 solution of water/ 3% peroxide.

It's it possible that they are sun/wind burned? if it was indoors it may not be used to the sudden change. Not that it's a huge deal but it looks like Syzygium australe. I will confess I've never seen Buxifolium... Also looks like it needs a repot into better draining soil at some point. you might try watering with a 20:1 solution of water/ 3% peroxide.
I'm just going by what the label says as this species all looks the same to me. It's from a fairly reputable place so I trust this.
Yes it is possible it's just reacting to the change in poaition. The soil is terrible, I dunked it before I went away for a few days and it took about 10 mins for all the bubbles to stop!!
I have some 30% peroxide so I'll do some dilution to that and give it a try. Really want to report it but I know it's totally the wrong time

I'm just going by what the label says as this species all looks the same to me. It's from a fairly reputable place so I trust this.
Yes it is possible it's just reacting to the change in poaition. The soil is terrible, I dunked it before I went away for a few days and it took about 10 mins for all the bubbles to stop!!
I have some 30% peroxide so I'll do some dilution to that and give it a try. Really want to report it but I know it's totally the wrong time

Make sure you dilute accurately, that strength will kill it dead... You as well BTW

I'm a biochemist by trade but serial dilutions were never my strong point so I might just be lazy and go and buy 3% :(

I always try to caution people when they talk about the stronger stuff. Many think it's totally harmless because it's "just peroxide." The 30-50% stuff can be pretty... well... strong.

I always try to caution people when they talk about the stronger stuff. Many think it's totally harmless because it's "just peroxide." The 30-50% stuff can be pretty... well... strong.
We use 30% is gaseous form to sterilise rooms. It will kill everything in the room. Very nasty stuff!

Hi, Im having the same problem here. The leaves are browning and dropping for me. Can you give an update?

All was well. Post some pictures this will help.
I just had it in a shady area to get used to being outside and it soon caught up. The soil had a couple of holes liked in it and I dunked it in water occasionally just to clear any dry patches. Still a happy tree now, just needs a hair cut,!

20190727_200955.jpg

Back
Top Bottom