Taking the plunge...on an azalea from Don Blackmond

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Very interesting! Sooooo does that mean that the variety can have any three of those colors...or those three colors can be found on one tree? Wasn't quite sure...thanks for the write up on the history of my tree. :cool:
Yes, any of the 3, including mixed colors like in the photo. Its similar to Komei, imo.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cool! Thanks Don...that is a perk. :D I am unaware of varieties of azaleas. Loving this tree more and more!
Not sure the variety...but it came up with the name you mentioned under Komei. Love the variety of colors...thrilled I may get a similar show.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 59

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
To late to edit above post...but I would love one day to have developed the tree I purchased into a canopy as above photo.:oops:...in my head...I feel it's obtainable.

yes it is but you'll have to repot it into the ground or better(for movability) is a collider. That will help thicken the trunk and just get a main trunk line then work the branches.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
yes it is but you'll have to repot it into the ground or better(for movability) is a collider. That will help thicken the trunk and just get a main trunk line then work the branches.
I'm not worried about the trunk...it's only 10" tall thinking it would be fine for a feminine tree. I may change that thought at a later date. But after losing an azalea this winter that is in the ground...I doubt I go that route with the arctic nature our winters have taken. Colander...something to consider. But my main focus is the canopy, thinking to keep a delicate feminine feel to it. Of course I may change that once I see it. But...for it's height...I think the base is decent.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm not worried about the trunk...it's only 10" tall thinking it would be fine for a feminine tree. I may change that thought at a later date. But after losing an azalea this winter that is in the ground...I doubt I go that route with the arctic nature our winters have taken. Colander...something to consider. But my main focus is the canopy, thinking to keep a delicate feminine feel to it. Of course I may change that once I see it. But...for it's height...I think the base is decent.

The plant will change your thinking for you. It wants to be full and will be no matter what unless you tend to it almost daily :eek: Sorry to hear you lost one outside but I suspect it was not just the weather unless it was 100 years old. For the record I lost every single greenhouse Azalea a few weeks ago in a one week period except for some newer Taber cuttings - reason unknown. It happened so fast I never really had a chance to investigate:eek:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The plant will change your thinking for you. It wants to be full and will be no matter what unless you tend to it almost daily :eek: Sorry to hear you lost one outside but I suspect it was not just the weather unless it was 100 years old. For the record I lost every single greenhouse Azalea a few weeks ago in a one week period except for some newer Taber cuttings - reason unknown. It happened so fast I never really had a chance to investigate:eek:
I'm fine with it full...:D...just with it being a shorter tree I think the trunk is fine.

It was also place near a leaking propane tank. :mad:...though not sure that could have done it or not...it still has leaves...but, not as green as once was. Hoping it's just an odd bronze...but...I'm thinking it's toast and more brown than bronze. Not battling the ice to investigate.

Sorry to hear about your azaleas...I know you were very knowledgable on them...to lose them so quickly is shocking!!!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm fine with it full...:D...just with it being a shorter tree I think the trunk is fine.

It was also place near a leaking propane tank. :mad:...though not sure that could have done it or not...it still has leaves...but, not as green as once was. Hoping it's just an odd bronze...but...I'm thinking it's toast and more brown than bronze. Not battling the ice to investigate.

Sorry to hear about your azaleas...I know you were very knowledgable on them...to lose them so quickly is shocking!!!

I bet it's burned due to the extreme cold you've had in the last 4-6 weeks. If the leaves are still on it, I doubt it's dead. You'll know for sure by May.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

No worries - they are one the replace list is all. The large ones I cut down and treated last year back budded insanely and I will be pulling and potting them in a few weeks. They look much like the one you have outside right now and that is perfectly normal. I bet you just never noticed other winters before you Bonsai Journey began! :)

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We can only hope...my husband said it looks worse than it did last year...I can't say I paid it any attention last winter. The husband will be pleasantly surprised!

Glad to hear your plans are to get more azaleas...I always thought of you when I heard one mention them.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We can only hope...my husband said it looks worse than it did last year...I can't say I paid it any attention last winter. The husband will be pleasantly surprised!

Glad to hear your plans are to get more azaleas...I always thought of you when I heard one mention them.

Thank you for your compliments and thoughts. So you and Bill know the worse the winter in the NE the worse they will appear but I have never seen a Evergreen Azalea killed by it. The ones I cut back here for example were enormous, never watered or fertilized for 40 years and the still grow just fine even after my mass cutbacks. After a couple short weeks of true Spring weather you will be grinning :)

Grimmy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Very interesting! Sooooo does that mean that the variety can have any three of those colors...or those three colors can be found on one tree? Wasn't quite sure...thanks for the write up on the history of my tree. :cool:
Yes it can, all three at once and differet variations of each too, not just the three. You must be careful when pruning off complete branches as it might be the only one that produces a particular color. Nice one, not really fond of the deadwood, but that is just me. it works with the design. I have one or two with deadwood, due to overzealous pruning.

John

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Satsuki in winter will "brown" their foliage. Just part of going dormant.

Satsuki from Northern Japan are far more cold hardy than ones from Southern Japan. You have to know which is which. Generally speaking, the northern varieties have significantly smaller leaves.

There are hundreds of cultivars of satsuki.

I only know enough about them to know there's more I don't know than I know!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Satsuki in winter will "brown" their foliage. Just part of going dormant.

Satsuki from Northern Japan are far more cold hardy than ones from Southern Japan. You have to know which is which. Generally speaking, the northern varieties have significantly smaller leaves.

There are hundreds of cultivars of satsuki.

I only know enough about them to know there's more I don't know than I know!

That's good to know about their foliage being brown. When he glanced at it we were in the midst of -40F wind chill and -22F regular temp. The leaves were curling and brownish...but...actually curiously I went and looked at it...and they are just a really deep bronze and not curled now at all! So...they must have curled with the temp change? Having more hope now...hearing what you all said...and then seeing it look much better without the curled leaves.

That's interesting the difference of northern and southern satsuki. It sounds like much knowledge is to be had on the subject.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
love this tree...can't wait to see it develop after a while (I hope you post updates!)
I have a feeling...ones will get tired of seeing it. I am told...I may need to warn the family it's on it's way...because I might be distracted by it. I guess satsuki can draw one in...in their beauty. ;) Thanks for the kind words though.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Darlene
Actually marvel the artistic curves of this tree. I envision that you have done well. Don's price point? Fair price--Either good guy which he deserves the price requested for the fruits of his labors, which i will compensate---- or good salesman which also deserves its merits although less deserving .Ultimately comes down to supply and demand. Or more precisely for bonsai ---WANT and HAVE .

I know your excited about with this one !! Keep us updated.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene
Actually marvel the artistic curves of this tree. I envision that you have done well. Don's price point? Fair price--Either good guy which he deserves the price requested for the fruits of his labors, which i will compensate---- or good salesman which also deserves its merits although less deserving .Ultimately comes down to supply and demand. Or more precisely for bonsai ---WANT and HAVE .

I know your excited about with this one !! Keep us updated.

Thanks John...it was the curves that got me. That it was a single trunk over a clump...and that it has a few years under it's belt in training already. I appreciate what Don has brought to the table. I never questioned his price. I seen the tree...glanced at the price and was shocked that it was so affordable to me. It was well worth it...without batting an eye.

It will be a joy to have this material to work...Is got a good start on it already.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Don for the updated photos... (He is still holding until my return trip back to the states mid June. Again much appreciated your doing that for me Don)

We have buds... :)
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Top Bottom