Tall BRT!!!

Discussion in 'Tropicals' started by Petebak, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Petebak

Petebak Yamadori

Not sure how it ever got this tall but not sure where to go from here!

Attached Files:

sorce likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. fredman

fredman Omono

I think you'll have to start afresh with it. Its way to young, sleek and tall to make anything of it now. Zip it in the ground and let it do its thing for a few years...that's what i'll do ;)

sorce likes this.
  4. sorce

sorce Nonsense Rascal

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

5. Petebak

Petebak Yamadori

Problem is, i have no outdoor space, all my bonsai's stay indoors all year around! o_O

fredman and jrw like this.
  6. Lobaeux

Lobaeux Shohin

That's tough. If the trunk was thicker, it'd be a great little tree. That skinny, it's looking a little undeveloped. I'd just let it grow.

7. groverick

groverick Seed

I have worked with another specie in the genus, and in my experience, when cut to the ground, you stand a 50% change of death.

8. Petebak

Petebak Yamadori

Update........
    I reduced the leaves a bit and now the trunk is shooting out new growth which will help thicken the trunk!
    The only thing is that I forgot to remove the wires and the tree has some nasty scars now! :eek:

Attached Files:

9. pweifan

pweifan Mame

Pete, Is that a Veldt Fig (Ficus burtt-davyi) in the background? Do you have any pics of that? I think I also see a goldfish plant ;) Those are real pretty.

10. Petebak

Petebak Yamadori

Good eyes :p, yes it is, i'll post some pics later today!

pweifan likes this.
  11. Petebak

Petebak Yamadori

2 different figs!

Attached Files:

pweifan likes this.
  12. pweifan

pweifan Mame

I never thought of using goldfish plant as an accent plant, looks nice :)

I like the figs, how long have you had them? That second one is off to a great start!

13. Petebak

Petebak Yamadori

Goldfish plants grow like weeds, they tolerate low light and drought and flower all year long (here and there!), that's why i like them.
    The second fig i purchased in summer of 2015 as a bonsai about a few months back it was not doing well and lost all leaves, that's why it's in a potting soil mix now, I add a little bit of worm casting to the bottom of the pot, they love that stuff! gonna re-pot it back into a bonsai pot come spring or summer!

Attached Files:

pweifan and Lobaeux like this.
  14. Don't worry about wiring scars, you need to double or triple the trunk diameter, in that time the scars should disappear. Keep the BRT in the largest pot that is practical. Let low branches extend as long as is practical. Total volume of foliage is what thickens the trunk. To develop taper will be more difficult. Once you have a number of low branches, you will either have to keep the volume of low foliage greater than volume of upper foliage. Or you can trunk chop, but sometimes you only get awkward shoots, a chop might ruin the graceful trunk you have. Later, some or all of the lower branches can be removed.

Key is to build trunk diameter now while the tree is young. Once root pruned, and in a smaller bonsai pot, you will get little or no trunk thickening.

BRT grow really fast when they have good light, you can build a nice tree in less than 10 years, maybe less than 5.

Lobaeux and Petebak like this.
  15. Petebak

Petebak Yamadori

Thanks for all the info! :D