The 2023 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My choke cherry is finally pushing buds.
That means prime collecting season!

Spent a few hours out in sticks today hunting around. Finally found this little but weathered piñon pine.
View attachment 479423
I don't like the way it came out of the ground, but the only way I could have asked for better is if we had any significant precipitation in the past month.
I like it hope for the best . Can you explain to the north easterner what the black stuff is

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it hope for the best . Can you explain to the north easterner what the black stuff is
Just wet bark from watering. There were many in the area that had black from fungal infections, and I'll be treating heavily for that. Some great weathering on the trees up there, but a good portion of that I think is the rampant infection. Otherwise, a relatively wet winter has the piñons looking as healthy as I've ever seen them.
Dry the past month, though, so getting a root ball out intact is hard.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Except you freezing🥶

Unless something has changed, I seem to recall that @Cajunrider is moving to the Philadelphia area. I would hardly describe it as cold. Daytime temperatures have been above freezing almost all winter. I live about about a half hour south of Philadelphia by car, and I keep my satsuki azalea outside on the ground all winter.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Unless something has changed, I seem to recall that @Cajunrider is moving to the Philadelphia area. I would hardly describe it as cold. Daytime temperatures have been above freezing almost all winter. I live about about a half hour south of Philadelphia by car, and I keep my satsuki azalea outside on the ground all winter.
I lived in Philly and currently work 25 min outside of it , it’s more USDA zone 7 for sure

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I figure it is 6b and my BCs and Mayhaws should be OK.

Bald cypress grows just fine around here. It’s a common parkland tree. There’s a bunch of big ones at Longwood Gardens. I can’t comment on Mayhaw. I’m not familiar with it.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I figure it is 6b and my BCs and Mayhaws should be OK.
Zone 4 here I planted a BC in the yard last summer . They have a very wide zone range but I am at the limit . My understanding is there heat and cold tolerance is seed source dependent . Trees from dryer north/ west are most cold tolerant . Zone 6 :7 should be no problem even for your south swamp trees . Suspect the mayhaws will be fine . In fact the cold should offer them increased pest and fungal resistance ir at least less around

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wet bark from watering. There were many in the area that had black from fungal infections, and I'll be treating heavily for that. Some great weathering on the trees up there, but a good portion of that I think is the rampant infection. Otherwise, a relatively wet winter has the piñons looking as healthy as I've ever seen them.
Dry the past month, though, so getting a root ball out intact is hard.
I would water several times for a few days before collecting if you have access .it’s not dry here . But people have used drip irrigation to improve the collectability of rock crack/ pocket trees a close friend used a cheap collapsible 3 gallon water jug with a single micro irrigation drip emiter .

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would water several times for a few days before collecting if you have access .it’s not dry here . But people have used drip irrigation to improve the collectability of rock crack/ pocket trees a close friend used a cheap collapsible 3 gallon water jug with a single micro irrigation drip emiter .
I thought about it, but not practical where I found it. Some crazy terrain.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought about it, but not practical where I found it. Some crazy terrain.
I here that when I search for collectable material in the summer . I carry my hori knife and 2 large zip lock bags with sifted DE and peat moss . ( both very light when dry and very absorbent ) here opportunities exist I. Rock pockets and on top of large rock formations with very little soil . So I pre treat the root ball . Lift the trunk from the rock or pocket slightly . Add the substrate and a slow dissolving fert spike , and most important if there is a cell phone signal drop a pin in maps .

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I here that when I search for collectable material in the summer . I carry my hori knife and 2 large zip lock bags with sifted DE and peat moss . ( both very light when dry and very absorbent ) here opportunities exist I. Rock pockets and on top of large rock formations with very little soil . So I pre treat the root ball . Lift the trunk from the rock or pocket slightly . Add the substrate and a slow dissolving fert spike , and most important if there is a cell phone signal drop a pin in maps .
I tend to treat it the same as game hunting. No telling when or even if I'll be able to get out there again, so get what you can, but don't bag just anything that comes along.
Cooler temps and possibly some moisture coming next week, so maybe I'll get better conditions then if I have the chance.

Top Bottom