The 2023 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What happened? Is it a slinking rear end of the culprit we see in the background? 😉
Is it going to make it?
Yeah, I found him chewing on it. Most of the root is gone, and it was wilting pretty bad, so I'm not trying to save it.
I know where there are plenty more to be had. It's been so wet this spring that they're going nuts all over.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welp, going to collect some boxwood yardadori this morning. Not the best time of year but I got the call and it's now or the scrap heap. Thankfully boxwood are pretty bulletproof so I have hope.
Had an anxious day last summer and took it out on a boxwood, reducing the foliage by an easy 80%. It didn't bat an eye. Don't wire in summer, though. The sap is flowing hard, and the bark will slip. You'll lose the branch .

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Noooooooo

That looks a lot smaller than when in the pot. Is that the culprit escaping? ;)
Yup. He doesn't get chased through the yard with pots and branches any more, but he knows when he's in trouble. LoL
I have literal sticks in pots all over the place as decoys, but he knows the new ones and gets curious.

I've lost more trees to that dog this year than I have in the past 2 years. Good thing all mine are early stages. I'm wiring everything into the pot from now on!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
As my mother said, almost only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades.
That tree is awesome.
I was nice to that water moccasin. He tried to strike me and hit my shovel, making a little ding sound. That must have hurt his snout. He lost his aggression and swam away quick after that. I just let him swim away. If that was my back yard, he would be dead.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess the real question is, how long would you wait before deciding the tree is a goner?
July 4th. If there's nothing by then even if it is alive, it probably won't make the winter. You can wait longer if you want, but generally I give up on trees that have no growth or leaves on them by Independence Day.
@Gabler I'm on board with @rockm.
June-ish is what I generally look for around here most years, but depending on the sort of weather you've been experiencing you could reasonably wait a little longer.

This year, there's still a chance of me collecting something nice even now, the weather has been that mild. I wouldn't be sure if it made it until August.
One of the Bald Cypress Uncle @Cajunrider collected on 4/1 didn't show buds until 5 weeks later. I glad it did as I started to think it is a goner. You have nothing to lose to let it sit a bit longer.
5 weeks is still within the norm. I have had them go 3 months before budding.

The tree isn't a goner just yet. Let's see if we get enough foliage to survive the winter.

06CBA1BA-AEFE-48A1-81E0-E9A1CE8509DE.jpeg

Attachments

• C3D17834-B4E6-4CFA-9ED9-5AEE029FFC7D.jpeg
    C3D17834-B4E6-4CFA-9ED9-5AEE029FFC7D.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 1
Top Bottom