The $30 dollar 30 minute junk pile Mugo pine.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I can tell I have been watching way too much of the Office when I was wondering which episode Stanley wore that hat in. And then I smacked myself for offending the Legend of Chubs Peterson. Don't worry. I will discipline myself.
Hahaha!
I love Stanley too though!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just wanted to practice before I ruin my JWP this spring.

You wanted to practice ruining a tree? o_O

Sorry, I am being a dick now. :D

I just was rereading this thread and it reminded me of Happy Gilmore:
"I eat shit like you for breakfast"
"you eat shit for breakfast?"

scottc

Mame
Reaction score
To the people that replied with some good advice thanks. It still was just a way to try out a few things I watched videos on without trying it on a JWP I have in the garage till spring. I didn’t want my first time cutting a branch or wiring to be on that tree. I’ll make sure my posts are well thought out when I post on here. I have named the tree now by the way. I named it osoyoung and will make a nameplate and display it at the next local Bonsai show.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You wanted to practice ruining a tree? o_O

Sorry, I am being a dick now. :D

I just was rereading this thread and it reminded me of Happy Gilmore:
"I eat shit like you for breakfast"
"you eat shit for breakfast?"
632e7199f883551ee80ce80231ad3fc8.jpg
Happy Gilmore memes are the best!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
To the people that replied with some good advice thanks. It still was just a way to try out a few things I watched videos on without trying it on a JWP I have in the garage till spring. I didn’t want my first time cutting a branch or wiring to be on that tree. I’ll make sure my posts are well thought out when I post on here. I have named the tree now by the way. I named it osoyoung and will make a nameplate and display it at the next local Bonsai show.
Haha!
That's funny, good name!

Hey man, don't get all bent outta shape about it.
I think many of us here have been in your shoes before.

Many times I swift kick in the ass is the best way to progress in your bonsai journey.

I'm still quite a noob too, as 2018 will be my 4th year in the world of bonsai.

The people on this sight, friendly or not, can surely teach people like us, and they do.

All you need is some thick skin, which I think you already have now, and a stick-to-it attitude, and you'll be happily on your way down the rabbit hole of bonsai!

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Lol, this is why I don't really share my practice trees. I know they aren't good and I'm doing bad things to them so I wait to see if they live first. Being a noob myself and even less experienced with conifers, I learned something from this post. I had no idea that mugo didn't back bud. Glad I didn't strip mine when I reduced the roots last year.

scottc

Mame
Reaction score
Wow, I could have got 5 mugos to practice on for 30$ lol
Pines are so expensive here in Salt Lake City. I’ll just go wire up some wild trees in the mountains. I’m going to bring my saws all home today and trim up the roots. Drill some holes in the branches and glue clipping in. Wont back bud ya say? Drill and glue will fix that problem.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
. I’m going to bring my saws all home today and trim up the roots. Drill some holes in the branches and glue clipping in. .
Seems as if your dead set on killing this thing, why wouldnt you wait hope/help tt recover and maybe learn something about the approach you took to this thing. I would watch spring growth if you get any and feed all the way thru 2018. Dont even touch it again til you can repot 2019, by then you'll have learned a bunch. Thru watching and research, and know better on what not to do. You really havent ruined this tree yet, if but if you keep fucking with it you will. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just speak from a position of someone who would take that tree and in 5 years have something nice and on its way to a decent bonsai. Find the mugo train thread and start reading up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn @scottc !

I didn't realize you were Sooooo new to us at barely a month!

I like the way you are rolling with this shit!

Can we get a refresher on how long you been doing this?

#bottombranchplanB

Sorce

scottc

Mame
Reaction score
Damn @scottc !

I didn't realize you were Sooooo new to us at barely a month!

I like the way you are rolling with this shit!

Can we get a refresher on how long you been doing this?

#bottombranchplanB

Sorce
I havnt really done any Bonsai. I got a JWP in the mail just in time to put it in the garage for the Winter. Watched some video’s realized my JWP is going to be hard to shape. Took some native plants and messed with them a bit. Thaey are doing very well in their tiny new home. Just got a tree that looked about as ugly as my white pine and wanted to try my Bonsai set of tools and get the feel for how that wire works. The first guy was just kind of an asshat. I did learn some simple stuff. Won’t make the mustache look again I see that for sure. The advice of some was useful. After looking I could actually let this live and chop down to a lower position and let it grow and maybe have something. Something for me. If one of you guys makes a mistake on a motorcycle and posted a picture I’d just give you my two cents and you could take it or leave it. But I would not be a jerk about it. If someone put the wrong rocker arms on a small block chevy I’d let em know. Not try and make an ass out of them. 1 guy said my thoughtless tree gives a bad name to Bonsai. HA! Stuck up jerks that criticize a new guy for making a mistake give Bonsai a bad name. I was actually going to sawzall the roots in half. Drill holes and transplant branches from two other type of pine on this to show trees are super durable. But it would have a super slim chance then. Now I’ll let it get better then reshape without the handlebars and let it grow for a few years. Maybe even transplant mid branch so it’s not a POm Pom as someone said. Whatever I do I’ll learn. I went from not knowing anything about growing a weed to having some of the best plants anyone had ever seen for medical use a lifetime ago in another state in 5 months. Trees take longer. I’ll make a million mistake again. But I’ll get it. I’ll end up with a killer tree in about 20 years if I live that long. But I’ll certainly take other trees and push and poke and trim and cut instead of just staring at my one tree for months on end.

Top Bottom