The Bonsai Master Myth...

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
As we say in the South when we're talking to pains in the ass--"Bless your heart" Bolero. Your passive aggressive attack on Mr. Degroot hasn't gone unnoticed, even if you wont' take any responsibility for it...

What part of "To create a Forest Planting he started with several (maybe 6 or 8) small Starter tree's placed randomly in a 24" ceramic pot and then added some non descript Greenery and Moss, it took him about 30 minutes and any Grade schooler could have accomplished the same..."
did I "misinterpret/see through"?
The sound of you grinding an axe comes through quite clearly despite the "I don't mean to run Dave down" BS...
Your quoting Out of Context speaks volumes.... you are also probably a Left Wing Liberal Democrat stuck to MSNBC....

Palmer67

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Is there a way to block or ignore a user on this forum? Seriously, if Bolero wants to keep pushing his politics, I'm leaving. Good information or not. Fuck this.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
So why dont you ever show us some.of those? All I see are starter plants in your care. Would love to these top works of arts, showing you are more than an old guy faithfully watering his trees.

For the Record … "Yes I am just another Old Guy who Faithfully Waters his Bonsai LookAlikes...I have pictures all over the BN... if you can't find them that's too bad.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the Record … "Yes I am just another Old Guy who Faithfully Waters his Bonsai LookAlikes...I have pictures all over the BN... if you can't find them that's too bad.
Sure. I have seen lots of plants in pots from you. But you were referring to your price-winning landscapes, selected out of thousands. I would love to see those. For sure they are not on the forum yet!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jeez, yeah. People want to put their own mark on things. Doesn't mean the new term is "something completely different." And "Amateur Professional" is simply silly. It's like saying "Jumbo Shrimp" you can't be an amateur and a professional. YOU ARE ONE OR THE OTHER...

Mostly these are invented euphamisms for the word they're trying to replace. "Naturalistic looking small trees" is just a longer version of simply saying "bonsai" Since the meaning of "bonsai" in the west isn't directly translatable, the word itself conjures up a specific image for western users, which includes "naturalistic small trees." Putting "Traditional Asian" in front of bonsai implies some sort of familiarity with bonsai. The vast majority of people around the world will make none of these distinctions and multiplying the terminology only confuses the issue.

This kind of thing is making a distinction without any difference. The group of people who are able to hack through the multi-level meaning of "naturalistic looking small trees" BS is tiny and inconsequential. Forcing such stilted terms onto already established nouns borders on the Precious with a Capital "P" Precious in this case meaning "excessively refined," i.e. Affected...

A good read for those prone to thinking in "precious" new ways
I rather like Bill Valavanis’ term for “traditional” bonsai. He calls it “Classical Bonsai”.

And, if anyone in the country could create some official bonsai “Certification”, it would be Bill. I cannot think of anyone else who has the education, the experience, the deep connections to the global bonsai community that he has.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Sure. I have seen lots of plants in pots from you. But you were referring to your price-winning landscapes, selected out of thousands. I would love to see those. For sure they are not on the forum yet!
Here is what I said no more no less ...
I have Entered and been judged with several of my Penjing and classed in the Top 10% among hundreds of Entrys, i am not in the habit of justifying my work however for your benefit I make this exception and BTW David ranked me 1st in his 2 day class...FWIW

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anthony I resect your postings however I need to clarify one thing... with the exception of M Angelo almost all the Old Master's of Europe died as NoBodys and were only discovered as Masters of their particular style many years after leaving the planet for the other side....
Hardly. Leonardo daVinci was well known and revered. As was Rembrandt. Monet and Manet were well known, as rebels!

Maybe you’re thinking about Vincent Van Gogh. You’re right about him.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bolero,

do some reading up on the lives of Da Vinci, Raphael, Tiziano, Rubens......
See who were their friends and who kept their work.
Always fun reading your typings, and the heated discussion.
Good Day
Anthony

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your quoting Out of Context speaks volumes.... you are also probably a Left Wing Liberal Democrat stuck to MSNBC....
Huh? WTF, dude. I'm a Southerner, I own guns, I drive a pick up, I have pit bulls, you can take that shit and shove it up your Yankee ass...

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I rather like Bill Valavanis’ term for “traditional” bonsai. He calls it “Classical Bonsai”.

And, if anyone in the country could create some official bonsai “Certification”, it would be Bill. I cannot think of anyone else who has the education, the experience, the deep connections to the global bonsai community that he has.

I agree 100% and consider Bill V. and Walter P. Bonsai Gardening Legends in their own time...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is what I said no more no less ...
I have Entered and been judged with several of my Penjing and classed in the Top 10% among hundreds of Entrys, i am not in the habit of justifying my work however for your benefit I make this exception and BTW David ranked me 1st in his 2 day class...FWIW
Jee, I am not asking for a justification. I am asking to see some of those top penjing you made.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I do think Bill V. should think about this. He has the connections and rep for it, as well as the personality and drive. He pulled the National show together and has pulled it off successfully for years. That takes some doing and some know-how.

Penjing-Darren

Sapling
Reaction score
Isn't being a bonsai Master means you have recognition in the Bonsai world? I say we have Bonsai Masters here is South Africa who have studied under other masters from Japan or even from other countries. Do you have to be Japanese to be one? I would say no. Do you have to be dead 1000 years ago. i would say no. Its some-who has has advanced knowledge and recognition thats all it is.

The picture is a pine that was grown from seed from an old South African Bonsai expert and the tree was bought my the next generation and improved upon, If you think this tree is not from a master then i am speechless. Cant show his face, dont have permission.

Attachments

• SA-Master.png
    SA-Master.png
    242.2 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom