The Columbus Bonsai Show was nice.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey Ed, wasn't me. I haven't lost any trees this year... :)

Bougie, are you a member of this club? If so, I dont mean to offend... There were a few trees by Jeff Carr that were nice, and a couple by someone named KAS, other than that...
Have you ever made the Dawes show? I've never been able to get to that one, but wonder if it's better, or at least a bit broader in scope. I am still scratching my head about the s curve vendor trees. You'd think that we'd want to let the general public know that these are not what bonsai is. So why would they want a vendor selling the antithesis of bonsai?

Thanks Tom, I just don't know that showing trees is what the hobby is about for me. As far as joining the club, being in the biz I'm in, I'm usually working weekends, so I don't know that it'd be worthwhile.

I do understand what you're saying, but me personally I need a goal to keep me going. So part of my goals in bonsai is developing display able pieces for others to enjoy. My wife thinks I'm too competitive with everything I do, I call it drive...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Judy- No offense taken; I totally get where you are coming from. It is a very small club and as is typical with organizations like that, run by just a handful of commited volunteers. I was very active on the board until my family commitments became too demanding (i.e., teenagers!!). I understand you and Ed have demanding schedules, but at any rate we would be thrilled to see your trees in person. We did host an all-Ohio show a few years ago with the goal of opening things up to a broader group and it went pretty well. They may try that again.
I haven't been to a Dawes show lately, so I can't comment on the quality but the last time I was there, I really enjoyed it. They have the perfect venue for their show and have great support from the Arboretum. Unfortunately, I have heard grumbling that a lot of the horticultural societies are being snubbed by the Conservatory so we can't really rely on them to provide space every year.
I think some people tried to set up a Southern Ohio club. I'm not sure if it took off, but we used to joke that their signature style would be Root-Over-Nova.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just don't know that showing trees is what the hobby is about for me.

buuuut... ! you show your trees here, and we all really enjoy seeing them - what about showing your trees at a show so that even more people can enjoy seeing them up-close and personal, which is different than showing your trees for the sake of showing your trees :) I'm sure other people would really like to see your trees, even if they don't know it yet. just a thought ;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
buuuut... ! you show your trees here, and we all really enjoy seeing them - what about showing your trees at a show so that even more people can enjoy seeing them up-close and personal, which is different than showing your trees for the sake of showing your trees :) I'm sure other people would really like to see your trees, even if they don't know it yet. just a thought ;)

Well Daygan, you do make a good point... Ill have to think on that.....

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Yup, it's a natural progression...just ordered two custom stands for next years show.

Top Bottom