The future of our planet

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
An interesting article, signed by 15 364 scientists from 184 countries, published in the review "BioScience" (American Institute of Biological Sciences) :

https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/advance-article/doi/10.1093/biosci/bix125/4605229

Alain you continue to spout drivel when talking about what goes on on the earth and especially what goes on in the US. You continue to be the definition of a Euroweenie.

A_E

Who's insulting who?

"An interesting article": you may or may not agree with science, but facts are facts. It's apalling to see how some are totally blinded by ideology.

"An interesting article", that's what I wrote before reading your stupid comments. Wanna play stupid? I can come down to that, and you're not sure to win! I can be so much stupider than you if that how you can only play! Er... o_O

Eppur, si muove... :(

Last edited:

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
When I hear about the latest catastrophic effects of AGW I tend to think of a few concepts regarding this phenomena.
First, there seems to be an almost hysterical religion like flavour to the believers. This has been explained by some as a human need to believe in something greater than ourselves. In that way, the AGW theory has become a handy alternative for former Christians (among others) who have finally accepted the lack of any evidence of a God. ie:....if we don't repent what we do we will face great suffering!.......Ring any bells?
Secondly, there are those who contend that the increased co2 emission is a good thing as co2 is actually a life promoting gas as is evidenced by the greening of the planet since the increase.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36130346
Thirdly, It is well accepted that the best way to reduce the world human population is to increase wealth. Therefore to deny third world countries the access to cheap fossil fuel is to deny their future prospects for increasing their wealth thereby ensuring a continued increase in population.
Fourth, No one has come up with an optimum temperature for the planet. It may be 2 degrees warmer just as much as it may be 2 degrees cooler. Generally, warmth leads to increased life processes and cold reduces them.
Fifth, It should be obvious to any observer that life forms - especially plants - have an inbuilt ability to thrive in changing temperatures. This is not just an accident. It is a part of the makeup of a plant to continue to function in a climate which is different to it's native one. Plants are generally more tolerant of extra heat than extra cold. (as an example, I have many mature Pin Oaks on my property, the average temperatures here are several degrees warmer than their native habitat yet they produce viable seeds each year. Why?) They have evolved from a warmer climate. This to me is evidence that the climate in the past was anything but stable. The same can be said of coral reefs.
Sixth. The call to reduce global warming has nothing to do with saving the planet. The planet will be just fine long after we've gone. The real reason is that we want to save our TVs and our wine.
Do I believe in AGW? I'm not sure yet but I tend to think no. Personally I suspect that deforestation have much to do with climate change and not because of the increased co2 the lack of cover, and reduced humidity and the cooling effect this has on the planet.

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Coh: (another screen name -- Frary where are you on this?)

"Besides, even if we're not correct about global warming, the types of changes that would be implemented would still be beneficial to ourselves and the planet."

Such as?

A_E

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
People change when it is too expensive not to, and usually after the damage is done. We will commit suicide collapsing our ecological niche, and still point and yell partisan thetoric while we choke on our own shit.

Isolated communities will live on. Most of us that rely on massive infrastructure and frozen pizza won't. Crocodiles will get their planet back.

Hyperbole aside, the planet will go on, we won't. This isn't nihilism, nor is it helpful or comforting.

Personally, I don't like shitting in my bed or anyone elses. Most anti-environmental rhetoric seems oddly pro-bedshitting.

I have a hard time trying to relate to that position.

Last edited:

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
"We will commit suicide collapsing our ecological niche, and still point and yell partisan thetoric while we choke on our own shit."

This has been predicted since at least Malthus in his 1798 book An Essay on the Principle of Population. Still no signs of it even beginning to happen, so I will happily contribute to the destruction of the "environment" in every way that you environmentalists think will cause said destruction. The only thing that will happen is that your heads will explode not the "environment".

"Malthus observed that an increase in a nation's food production improved the well-being of the populace, but the improvement was temporary because it led to population growth, which in turn restored the original per capita production level." He was wrong then and he is still wrong now. There are allegedly 7 billion humans on the earth. The only places where there are "shortages" are where politicians such as those in Venezuela, Cuba and N.Korea hold sway.

I really can't understand that people who grow trees as a hobby can think like this. Have any of you run out of trees. Even without your help they multiply every year as their seeds germinate. In the first census in 1790, the population of the United States was enumerated to be 3,929,214. We are now about 100 times that many and still have not run out of anything despite the civil war, ww1, ww2, the Korean war, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan or any other major disruption you can think of.

My reactions on this thread are based on 75+ years on this planet. You gloom and doomers have no clue.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"We will commit suicide collapsing our ecological niche, and still point and yell partisan thetoric while we choke on our own shit."

This has been predicted since at least Malthus in his 1798 book An Essay on the Principle of Population. Still no signs of it even beginning to happen, so I will happily contribute to the destruction of the "environment" in every way that you environmentalists think will cause said destruction. The only thing that will happen is that your heads will explode not the "environment".

"Malthus observed that an increase in a nation's food production improved the well-being of the populace, but the improvement was temporary because it led to population growth, which in turn restored the original per capita production level." He was wrong then and he is still wrong now. There are allegedly 7 billion humans on the earth. The only places where there are "shortages" are where politicians such as those in Venezuela, Cuba and N.Korea hold sway.

I really can't understand that people who grow trees as a hobby can think like this. Have any of you run out of trees. Even without your help they multiply every year as their seeds germinate. In the first census in 1790, the population of the United States was enumerated to be 3,929,214. We are now about 100 times that many and still have not run out of anything despite the civil war, ww1, ww2, the Korean war, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan or any other major disruption you can think of.

My reactions on this thread are based on 75+ years on this planet. You gloom and doomers have no clue.
Nice summary. I'm not quite as old as you but have seen the cultural Marxists indoctrinate our society with great success over the past 50 years. You have to hand it to them. They correctly realized that a violent revolution was not going to work here, so they infiltrated all of our institutions and warped the minds of our youth. Their plan has been to reverse the historic violence-subjugation path with psychological subjugation-violence instead. It was interrupted last fall, but probably only for a time. There's at least an entire generation of individuals who lack the capacity for critical thought, and have no sense of history.

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Our population has been able to grow because of cheap energy, which has and will grow more expensive.

No seriously. I'd be happy to be on the wrong side of history here. I hope to be wrong for a long, long time. But I also believe in hedging your bets. Good runs don't last forever and as they say in the stock market: Past performance does not predict future gains.

This isn't politics. It is self defense.

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
"Our population has been able to grow because of cheap energy, which has and will grow more expensive."

I doubt that energy -Coal,Oil,Natural Gas and Nuclear or Hydro will cease to be cheap unless we elect another Community Organizer like Obama to screw things up as he did for 8 years.

Notice I did not include Solar or Wind or fairy dust because they never were and never will be cheap.

A_E

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An interesting article, signed by 15 364 scientists from 184 countries
Yup, one of them.

And the rest of the thread is clear evidence we will never fix it. People who think "it ain't true" cannot come up with anything else then "There are natural cycles" and "If you do not agree, I will find an insult to get you of my back."

Sad, really.

Reactions: coh

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So, I guess these global warming-spouting politicians will just continue to race about the globe spewing tons of toxic chemicals and pollutants out of their government jets in order to tell people in third world countries that they can't have the FIRST car of their lives. I may not agree with the actor Ed Begley Jr., but at least he's practicing what he preaches. He lives a modest life, growing some of his own food and riding a bicycle as much as possible.

I've read that one major volcanic eruption spews out more pollutants than all the human activity that has occurred on Earth. So, is someone going to put a catalytic converter on those things?!!

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yup, one of them.

And the rest of the thread is clear evidence we will never fix it. People who think "it ain't true" cannot come up with anything else then "There are natural cycles" and "If you do not agree, I will find an insult to get you of my back."

Sad, really.

The funny thing is those natural cycles are proven using.......wait for it.......Science.

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
People who think "it ain't true" cannot come up with anything else then "There are natural cycles" and "If you do not agree, I will find an insult to get you of my back."

Says another Euro-Weenie

You have to prove it and so far you and your ilk have not proven any of your Chicken Little claims.

A_E

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Coh, it just goes to show ANY information you read is suspect.............on both sides.

Let's ponder on this for a moment. More carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Plants use c. d. More c.d. is better for plants. More and better plants produce more oxygen. More oxygen is better for people.

Now, I'm not saying there is no global warming or that we can continually pollute our atmosphere. All I'm saying is that the Earth has a way of correcting itself if given a chance.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Coh, it just goes to show ANY information you read is suspect.............on both sides.

Let's ponder on this for a moment. More carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Plants use c. d. More c.d. is better for plants. More and better plants produce more oxygen. More oxygen is better for people.

Now, I'm not saying there is no global warming or that we can continually pollute our atmosphere. All I'm saying is that the Earth has a way of correcting itself if given a chance.
Interesting reasoning. So, as we destroy the rainforests and reduce the number of plants, just who or what is going to take in that excess carbon dioxide and produce oxygen? Get back to me on that one. Some of the excess carbon dioxide will be taken up by the ocean, but guess what...that acidifies the ocean and makes it less able to support life. Yep, things are looking good!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So, Coh, will you be the first to give up your car, turn off the A/C and heater, TV and computer, refuse to buy anything wrapped in plastic, decline buying anything from the Earth-raping China? Get back to me on that one.

Top Bottom