The Great Roberts Mt. Bonsai Project

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hopefully he enjoyed your company?
I hope so, though sometimes, it was hard to tell. When he wasn't telling a story or cracking a joke, he liked to point out everything I did wrong in my day to day life:confused:. You know how that goes.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope so, though sometimes, it was hard to tell. When he wasn't telling a story or cracking a joke, he liked to point out everything I did wrong in my day to day life:confused:. You know how that goes.

I have a three year old son......I do that all day!!!:eek::D

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 111499
;)
I got a relative who used to BE Smokey the bear in Oregon.

Hey @Vin ..... Was she a hooker?

Sorce
I'll never know but I think it was my drop dead gorgeousness that attracted her. I would say you know how that goes but you probably don't. ;)

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 111499
;)
I got a relative who used to BE Smokey the bear in Oregon.

Hey @Vin ..... Was she a hooker?

Sorce
Yeah,well, thanks for the tip, but what makes it a good place is that it's all rock, and the view is awesome.

Trust me when I say no one is more conscious of fire on the mountain than this old boy. It is an ever present danger and we take it very seriously. I was not willing to occupy the land until I had first established a source of water and delivery system.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that live oak looks nothing like the huge ones I grew up with in Fl. But good luck, I hope you can save them, it would be a shame to loose good material for bonsai, while building a place for bonsai! Kinda counter productive. I wish I had some help for you, but dont. I hope it goes well!
There are two types of Live Oak that grow in this region. Most common is Coastal Live Oak, Q. agrifolia, and Canyon Live Oak.

I think the main reason they're so different from the southern variety is the mountainous terrain and mixed forest they habitat. They naturally tend to grow more slender and lack the spreading crown that is common in the southern region.

It's a funny thing about the Canyon Live Oak trees is that it depends upon who you're talking to they are very different. For instance, the Audubon Society says they are perhaps the most beautiful trees in the whole Western region and truly they deserve it. However, if you discuss the trees with forest management or wild fire personnel you learn they are considered the devil's own trees. It's often referred to as 'grease wood ', and their tendency to flash into a raging balls of fire makes them extremely dangerous in wildfire situations, especially when there's entire hillsides covered with it.

From my view point they are quite magnificent as bonsai subjects and the more we remove the better.

Reactions: Vin

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Rick. Last one you pictured with lobed leaves is Q. garryana Oregon White oak but stunted. Very nice trees:D!
Question of other one? Is chrysolepis winter hardy your location? With some research can answer own question with a Yes. Apparently is native to southern Lane county. Did not know. You may also find Q. sadleriana Deer oak which is also native your area. Mature acorn and bud could give positive ID. Most interesting trees indeed! Also please why passing of full moon?
Yes, I looked and you are correct on the Q. Haryana. Many great specimens to be found up here.

So, what about the moon? It's no big secret the moon has a great influence on this rock we live on. When the moon is getting fuller the ground gets harder to dig. Everything is stiff and tight, barren and dry. Vegetation also becomes tighter in the ground as they resist the pull of the moon's gravity. During the waning phase as the moon gets smaller everything relaxes. This makes it easier to dig and remove trees. There is also less stress and strain on the trees at that time so the trees have a period of recovery before demands are made for roots to supply water. There's some old school thinking for you. Many folks live by the moon, especially those effected by the tides, best clam digging is on the lowest tides when the most beds are exposed. You can check the tides chart to see what day that is or check the moon chart to see the strength of each lunar cycle. The highest tides are on the fullest moon i.e.

when the moon is closest to the planet, is also the hardest time to dig a hole in the planet or extract something from the ground.(and you want it to live)

Top Bottom