The Houseplant Thread - what do you have?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
A frosty peperomia. Three plants that I topped at multiple levels. Started too fail. Put it outside and the thing exploded.
2 hrs full morning sun. I love the spike blooms. Huge leaves outside. Perfect.
very nice, and becoming harder to find with the new demand for indoor gardening, etc. (i was thinking of the watermelon ones) i heard about that from onlyplants on youtube. hes very good. could be worth propagating...do you ever try?

i have two peperomia i posted side by side. they are strong and healthy and new growth/spike on one of them.

i want string of turtles and a few more peperomias before the hoyas and dischidia take over lol

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
The monster is now outside in 1-2 hrs of morning sun. I took a cutting to keep inside.
Aerial roots going crazy. WRT the poster above, I may moss a 1/2”x6” deck board to get it growing upward.
Pretty sure it’s epiphytic....

Attachments

• 8B6999DB-F559-4EC6-A8D2-01589B15A586.jpeg
    8B6999DB-F559-4EC6-A8D2-01589B15A586.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DFCD3F27-7401-442B-A45F-1602ABB4B8AF.jpeg
    DFCD3F27-7401-442B-A45F-1602ABB4B8AF.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 7F903CBE-E9B2-4704-9962-A64D0DAFEA7E.jpeg
    7F903CBE-E9B2-4704-9962-A64D0DAFEA7E.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 11

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
very nice, and becoming harder to find with the new demand for indoor gardening, etc. (i was thinking of the watermelon ones) i heard about that from onlyplants on youtube. hes very good. could be worth propagating...do you ever try?

i have two peperomia i posted side by side. they are strong and healthy and new growth/spike on one of them.

i want string of turtles and a few more peperomias before the hoyas and dischidia take over lol
I have pulled side shoots and planted. Easy to prop I hear.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The monster is now outside in 1-2 hrs of morning sun. I took a cutting to keep inside.
Aerial roots going crazy. WRT the poster above, I may moss a 1/2”x6” deck board to get it growing upward.
Pretty sure it’s epiphytic....
awesome!

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Man, chopping the roots and the disturbance from indoors to outdoors got the aerial roots growing inches a day.
I guess the thing was really worried about dying.

With moving them outside, I really noticed they are not as particular about too much water. The pep could be really bitchy with too much water inside.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Man, chopping the roots and the disturbance from indoors to outdoors got the aerial roots growing inches a day.
I guess the thing was really worried about dying.

With moving them outside, I really noticed they are not as particular about too much water. The pep could be really bitchy with too much water inside.
so in MA cold winters, 1 in four of my indoor plants are just overwintering in there. i have enough bonsai tree, bougainvillea, citrus, hibiscuses, etc. to keep outside than to bring all my tropical houseplants out there in summer. no doubt they would love it like you said though - they always rather outside if temps are okay, the natural predator bugs help them a lot compared to inside pests, airflow, watering needs. outside wind and temp factors often call for or permit more water usage i think. your monstera looks kickass, id look into something for it to grab onto like you said - then they really take off i heard. im going to look into monstera propegating for that little third one i want in clay balls semi hydro

i run a fan inside for my plants and humidifier as mentioned...

tempting me on bringing everything outside haha but im going to end up doing it to some of them anyways and additionally most likely lol

we have hard frost in a week from now - where are you located in the world?

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
In southern cal. There is hardly a chance of a frost ever here in coastal CA.
In January, I may eye ball the weather for anything approaching 30F.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
In southern cal. There is hardly a chance of a frost ever here in coastal CA.
In January, I may eye ball the weather for anything approaching 30F.
lucky you, although i have come to enjoy the four seasons here. i even surf in winters here but am jealous of lack of continental shelf and constant deep water ground swell you have.

im not trying to get into cactus much for a few reasons, but another i have my eye on in the future is this: frizzle sizzle plant. i guess its not a cactus per se, south african succulent
1602705233599.png

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Not the same or as cool but similar, checkout juncus spiralis. Maybe be easier to grow and find....can do low light.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i proplifted this wandering jew. i bought a rosemary and this leaf was on shelf near it, broken off. i put the leaf in my rosemary pot
was ironic because i had just said that wandering jew is nice, but not for $19 and
rooted it in rainwater (literally it rooted in 2 days and i had 3, 1" roots by day 4 and potted it. looking forward to this in the future.
20201015_071112_resized.jpg

my monstera threw this big new leaf off recently. its started to unroll now
20201001_070616_resized.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Bromelia Guzmania, I have it for twenty years, very easy to grow and to multiply .

View attachment 334863
looks wonderful. needs a yellow pot and squarepants @HorseloverFat

i thought these died after they flower but those are bromeliad...same family? i wrote those off because of that, and you had yours twenty years. well done

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
looks wonderful. needs a yellow pot and squarepants @HorseloverFat

i thought these died after they flower but those are bromeliad...same family? i wrote those off because of that, and you had yours twenty years. well done
LOVE Bromeliads, also!

I squashed one with a mattress last year... named Khalil...

The plant... the mattress wasn’t named at that point.

🤣🤣🤣

Pineapples contain an enzyme called Bromelain... super good for you..

Bromelain (sp?) ALSO aids in fermentation... Pineapple “Hooch” was drinkable in 2.5 weeks... eeeeeesh.

🤓

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've had the Joshua Tree for about twenty years, so you're looking at successors of successors. They do not trunk up so you have to keep them under 3" tall and keep the canopy, meaning the number of foliage balls to a minimum to keep them vertical. They are really procumbent by nature so you have to start with short pieces, bury them deep for support, and not let them get to many balls on top or branches too long. I put rock between them for the first six months, or so, like this Ivy treated to the same...
a if 20200401_135847 (4).jpg
...and these Portulacaria...
a Ps f 20200401_150136.jpg
They do go on for years and I have lots of them in many kinds of tiny pots. They never die, and root easily. They just get to the point of needing dividing and reassembly.

Top Bottom