The Little Christmas Tree Contest (2020 - 2023)

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Would be a fun concept. I was toying with the idea of having two amps with one bass playing a singular tone via feedback, like a shruti box, with me playing leads over it...
Sounds very cool. I‘ve never thought of doing anything like that, but there’s a band over here called Royal Blood that has just bass and drums. He might do something like that because their sound is huge considering.

Nah. Simple: rhythm bassist and lead bassist.
I do wonder why I’ve not seen two bassists actually. You could make for a massive sound with the two switching between the highs and lows. Who needs guitars eh?

Im more of a metalhead that plays bass, than I am a bassist that plays metal. Im sure Woocash would best me.
I doubt it mate. I haven’t played in a while and when I did I had the same mindset as you. Typically though, not long after I left the band I played in got signed off the back off the stuff I wrote!

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm noob enough to admit that I will consider it a personal victory if I have a tree from this contest alive and even vaguely looking like a bonsai in 3 years. It's a good exercise and I'm sure I'll learn a few things.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I doubt it mate. I haven’t played in a while and when I did I had the same mindset as you. Typically though, not long after I left the band I played in got signed off the back off the stuff I wrote!

This is why the best material I write never gets heard lol. Anyway back to trees.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I do wonder why I’ve not seen two bassists actually. You could make for a massive sound with the two switching between the highs and lows. Who needs guitars eh?
Meshuggah does something like that. I think they play two 8 string guitars with bass strings if I'm remembering correctly. Don't quote me. It's something very unusual, but it's crazy on the low end.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Meshuggah does something like that. I think they play two 8 string guitars with bass strings if I'm remembering correctly. Don't quote me. It's something very unusual, but it's crazy on the low end.
Well there’s a blast from the past. I haven’t listened to them in probably 15 years or so. Added to tomorrow’s playlist. 🤟

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In a non metal vane King Crimson used two Chapman Stick players back in the 90s I believe. Similar to a bass in range.

BckCntry

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
BckCntry is in... as long as I can find something in those days between the 25th and the 1st.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
sooo.. The thread sais "Little" christmas trees contest. The rules do not mention size. Does this mean.. Regular sized trees are OK too?
Mine’s currently 4 ft. The thing is that they’re being sold as christmas trees, either to be made to look like a christmas tree or as an actual christmas tree. I think it is meant to be sold in a pot though so size is not the determining factor.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
sooo.. The thread sais "Little" christmas trees contest. The rules do not mention size. Does this mean.. Regular sized trees are OK too?
If you wish to wire up an 8' tree I say go for it. Sounds like a lot of work though! Would be crazy whether the rules permit or not

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All I will say is that I would suggest not to keep your tree 8 ft. 😂 Little is in the name. I suggest getting a tree 4 foot or under tree so we don't have any giants compared to everyone else's potted trees. The judging will be based on the creativity, and progress you have unleashed in this short time period.

Top Bottom