The rock thread.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
A few of my favorites:

Bowl or pool stone, found in a pile of landscape river rock. Daiza by Jerry.

Twin peak mountain. Found in a creek on the ranch where I grew up in Healdsburg, CA. Daiza by me.

Limestone/volcanic stone found in Northern California. Daiza by me

The day I found the above stone.

Doha, plateau stone from Northern California. Daiza by me.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few of my favorites:

Bowl or pool stone, found in a pile of landscape river rock. Daiza by Jerry.

View attachment 266586

Twin peak mountain. Found in a creek on the ranch where I grew up in Healdsburg, CA. Daiza by me.
View attachment 266587

Limestone/volcanic stone found in Northern California. Daiza by me
View attachment 266588

The day I found the above stone.

View attachment 266593

Doha, plateau stone from Northern California. Daiza by me.
View attachment 266590

Very, very nice! I love water pool stones probably more than anything and am always looking, hard to find good ones or at least I haven’t had much luck yet.

Nice to see them set in daiza too, I have carved a couple but generally consider it a job for another day and they wind up hanging around here and there being used as doorstops and stuff. 51A529F5-159F-4FDC-9320-E91122278531.jpeg

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the larger lip on this daiza. I don't feel like I see that quite as often, but it complements it nicely.
Thanks... knowing nothing of daiza...I left everything to Sean. I'm not really knowledgeable in this aspect of viewing stones. But think it brings more to the table with it having a daiza under it. One that will permit it to weather on my bench from spring-fall. Is pretty cool. I chose not to use wood as the material chosen. But a weather proof material to last in the elements on a bench. Since I don't do shows and it's more for my amusement and enjoyment anyways.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just randomly discovered this great video that Mauro Stemberger posted of a visit to Sean Smith where he talks about the artistry of Suiseki. Came here to post it and I see a number of people working with the same Sean Smith, good deal. Anyway this video was really informative.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks good. Is this rock planting going to have plants too? If so where are you planning to plant?

Here is my rock Garage Sale special
I’m currently forgetting the name of it.
And I doubt I'm clever enough to use it in bonsai but I still like it

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Looks good. Is this rock planting going to have plants too? If so where are you planning to plant?
Thanks. The plan is to use it for a cascade field maple bonsai I have that needs repotting. There is a cavity all the way down inside the rock arrangement so there should be plenty of room for roots.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I've seen stones like the one you show before, but I can't remember the name either! Nice as a curiosity / display object in its own right, without being used with bonsai.

Top Bottom