The starter Ficus repository!

DurMan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Heya folks! I'm brand new here and just starting my bonsai journey. How you ask? With a variegated ficus benjamina!
.eJwNw0sOgyAQANC7sJfhX8Zr9AQTJGCjQmBcNb17fcn7inscYhWVuc8VYNtnamOTk9ugkmVprRyZ-j5laicQM6V65osnGIxeIZqgVfAGXxjAauuCjdrF8IzaILwv6qkSL05567yzKD-9iN8fi7clEw.MjFuzrHDE3kLU5hIKYTGCYtmSi8

Now keep in mind I'm very new at this. If the following ends up killing the plant, then oh well, I learned NOT to do the following. Also note that this is all very much pre-bonsai work. Everything I have as of now needs gobs of work.

.eJwFwcsNwyAMANBdGAAb888CVQ6dIUIEkVRJQeCequ7e977iMy6xiIO5zwVgP2duY5eT20i1yNpavUrq55S53ZCYUz7u8uYJFIPFGMkpdJaijw60MtaSoaCDRqNtNLA-Hxuh8miV35RXAZ189Sp-f5mTJEE.wC2RAJAeZtAZ10Ojx9CSLhMyTk4

First things first I wanted to get it out of the pot it came in and into actual bonsai soil. I was pretty sure that the three trunks were separate trees and wanted to get them apart. This thing was EXTREMELY root bound.

.eJwNxlEOwiAMANC7cABKKwW7Cxg_PMNCGGEzmyxQv4x31_f1PubddzOZVfUcE8Cyjdz6Yoe2nmqxtbW6l3Ruw-Z2QFJNeT3KSweQXNmJUEAXmCRKgAt6ZvIUWFC8j47h_rjN5PBfjDNGCuTt86zm-wOaAiRD.AP5yd2yCJP_1hs4LXBmpfYb4iX8
.eJwFwdENgyAQANBdGICDk-M4F2j86AyGIEEbLQboV9Pd-95XfdqpZrWPcfcZYDt6qm3TfdQWS9al1nLmeB9dp3pBHCOm_crv0QElkBFBb40nFBYPk3VE6JBdEA4shmB5PlY0lg1ZXi2jn1C_7qJ-f5uzJFA.w-0zwEjv6eJ237g5reBCMRzDqoI

Well it was actually TWO trees, not three. You can see just how root bound this thing was in the bottom image. The two trunked ficus on the left I split, leaving roots on either side. This may have been stupid, but if it wasn't then that's one more tree!

.eJwFwdENwiAQANBdGIA7kOO4LmD8cIaGUEJrWiGAX8bdfe-rPv1Ui9rnbGMB2I6Rat_0mLXHknWptZw5tmPoVC-Ic8a0X_k9B1gJhCLWG_RkhcXDzTgi6yy7IBxY0MHjeV8tGkYyvBomRNKvVtTvD5t9JEw.Ls1RGgsj0q9WqLQGnYVxWUge69o

I ended up doing major trimming and root pruning to all three trunks. Most of the bigger roots were both TOO big and going in entirely the wrong directions.

Hu3R9Ta.jpg

Now they're all potted. This one I'm thinking of going for a sort of broom style with, hence the straight trunk. I also want this one on the tall side.

Jkp2I8y.jpg

With this one I think it's lending itself to a leaning trunk. I might see about encouraging aerial roots at some stage, but that's pretty far down the line.

zoX9lKf.jpg

Finally is this one, which I may see about putting into a twin trunk style. Not 100% sure about that, though.

slZyGSF.jpg

Also, here's my back-up plan. I took a mess of cuttings and will see if any of them will root. If they do I'll have a bunch more trees to butcher sometime in the distant future.

So, how did I do? Will all of my trees whither and die? Am I going to be swarmed with trees?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@AZbonsai ,

comment was made sometime around 2010, by Ms. Iris Cohen [ or Cohn ] I searched but couldn't
find her post on IBC. Apologies.

However, it was also known since the early 80's.

The idea is simple, observe how same size marbles touch each other in a glass.
Those spaces created by spheres, represent the optimum point for freely draining and O2 entry.
When the spheres are moisture absorbent, you add on moisture retention.

Using the idea, from a Danish lady on IBC, with the hydroponic balls as a soil.

The theory was Ficus might grow better or more efficiently.

So far, we have observed that ficus can live comfortably in 1" deep pot, with either 90 % inorganic
to 10 % inorganic [ by volume ] and with a 3' extension, will easily thicken the trunk.
Seen below is the worked example.
Hope this helps.
Good Day
Anthony

Grown only in this pot from a found pencil sized sapling ,

Soil is 90% 5 mm silica based gravel and 10% aged compost.

As a test. took about 5 years but we can do in 3 now, though the refining of branchlets will still take
up to 5 years more.

ficus.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, how did I do?

Usually you gotta make your own thread for a "Welcome", but There are exceptions for special circumstances.

This is one.

For....

I have never seen a tree in a paper bag...

And....

You know what they say about paper bags.....and where they belong....
Their...."other" use.....to cover ugly...

Put it back in the bag!

Lol...Just Playing!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So, how did I do? Will all of my trees whither and die? Am I going to be swarmed with trees?

The bag got me too.
:D

Cool start though, guess now it is wait and see time. I'm guessing the Texas weather is warm enough to put them outside now.

DurMan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have never seen a tree in a paper bag...
The bag got me too.
:D
To be fair there was a plastic pot inside the bag ;)

I'm guessing the Texas weather is warm enough to put them outside now.
That's the plan, but I've got a bench to build first. The only spot I have with full sun is in the middle of the yard, so that's where it's going! That said, I'm not gonna just sit these trees on the ground!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@AZbonsai ,

comment was made sometime around 2010, by Ms. Iris Cohen [ or Cohn ] I searched but couldn't
find her post on IBC. Apologies.

However, it was also known since the early 80's.

The idea is simple, observe how same size marbles touch each other in a glass.
Those spaces created by spheres, represent the optimum point for freely draining and O2 entry.
When the spheres are moisture absorbent, you add on moisture retention.

Using the idea, from a Danish lady on IBC, with the hydroponic balls as a soil.

The theory was Ficus might grow better or more efficiently.

So far, we have observed that ficus can live comfortably in 1" deep pot, with either 90 % inorganic
to 10 % inorganic [ by volume ] and with a 3' extension, will easily thicken the trunk.
Seen below is the worked example.
Hope this helps.
Good Day
Anthony

Grown only in this pot from a found pencil sized sapling ,

Soil is 90% 5 mm silica based gravel and 10% aged compost.

As a test. took about 5 years but we can do in 3 now, though the refining of branchlets will still take
up to 5 years more.

View attachment 146056
That is impressive! Thanks for the tutorial I appreciate it. Often wondered why bonsai folks do not use more hydroton in their pots. Now I know some do.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some cuttings from my OG Bulbass Walmart Ficus.

20170521_110929.jpg

Finally grew well last year....after 5!
20170521_111142.jpg
20170521_111150.jpg

In The ground. I want to see how big this root can get before it....or If it ever, breaks my basket. It's already almost 3 times bigger than the hole.
20170521_110922.jpg

Anew!

Sorce

Reaction score
Very good idea!

I got this tree three years ago for my 17th birthday:

View attachment 143416

As it sits now:

View attachment 143415

It needs carving, buds lower on those two grafted sticks, roots around the soil line and microcarpa grafting, as those two low branches are understock foliage.

I did some stuff today:

20170529_130115.jpg
Thinking of shortening everything. I hope I get back budding down low on the skywards pointing sticks.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Guys,

my stupid suggestion ---------- please --------------- get some form of an Elm / Zelkova / Celtis.
Grow them alongside your ficus attempts.
As you grow them, my suggestion will become transparent.
Good Day
Anthony

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Took awhile to find this thread again......new to bonsai gets buried......

time for some work and a "restyle"...:D:D:D:D:D
DSC02027.JPG DSC02028.JPG DSC02029.JPG DSC02030.JPG

I'll embrace the ugly and try to sort out some kind of apex. I'll update at some point. Any thoughts?:confused:;):D:D:D:D

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@LanceMac10 Nice little, difficult tree :p

The first thing I thought of when I saw the first pic was this (for what it's worth, I am no genius):

export.png

Top Bottom