The Tree Thread

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Shore Pine, Pinus Contorta. This one requires major root adaptation prior to establishing a better planting angle. One advantage of a deep mica pot is the ability to change the shape with a saw and secure difficult trunk shapes in collected specimens. This tree is set for recovery and will not be worked until 2020. One of the trees i collected this fall. Excellent health for a Yamadori and more foliage than usual. Better than average options for design and definate age in the trunk and bark. Dropping a few old needles at this time.IMG_9539.JPGIMG_9540.JPGIMG_9541.JPG

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Little bit more work on a Hinoki cypress i posted a few pages ago. still new to the species, but after watching Ryan neil's hinoki stream i new i could go in and thin it out more.
IMG_7044 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

2018-11-03_07-42-33 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Last edited:

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw this image on dallasbonsai blog page. Good inspiration for me too. I have officially come down with JBP fever
View attachment 215899
Reading @Brian Van Fleet blog is gold for JBP information, and countless threads on here as well. They are amazing trees!
Here's a future literati scots pineScreenshot_20180930-095859.jpg

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Wilson im only getting into the pine thing now, studying every bit of information I can find. Waiting for my JBP to come in the mail so I can start looking at it

P.S. here’s my unrelated yet obligatory tree pic, Shenzhen university is also known as the litchi school because of all the litchi trees that are growing all over.
17223042-F548-4804-ABE4-6A8B9FE4FF9B.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Reading @Brian Van Fleet blog is gold for JBP information, and countless threads on here as well. They are amazing trees!
Here's a future literati scots pineView attachment 215902
In the theme of literati. Here is a future candidate from my recent fall collection trip. Pinus Contorta or Shore Pine. Once it is established with new roots it will be well on its way.IMG_9546.JPG

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice looking Tree Frank....west coast bog tree?

QUOTE="River's Edge, post: 604294, member: 23025"]Shore Pine, Pinus Contorta. This one requires major root adaptation prior to establishing a better planting angle. One advantage of a deep mica pot is the ability to change the shape with a saw and secure difficult trunk shapes in collected specimens. This tree is set for recovery and will not be worked until 2020. One of the trees i collected this fall. Excellent health for a Yamadori and more foliage than usual. Better than average options for design and definate age in the trunk and bark. Dropping a few old needles at this time.View attachment 215854View attachment 215855View attachment 215856[/QUOTE]

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice looking Tree Frank....west coast bog tree?

QUOTE="River's Edge, post: 604294, member: 23025"]Shore Pine, Pinus Contorta. This one requires major root adaptation prior to establishing a better planting angle. One advantage of a deep mica pot is the ability to change the shape with a saw and secure difficult trunk shapes in collected specimens. This tree is set for recovery and will not be worked until 2020. One of the trees i collected this fall. Excellent health for a Yamadori and more foliage than usual. Better than average options for design and definate age in the trunk and bark. Dropping a few old needles at this time.View attachment 215854View attachment 215855View attachment 215856
[/QUOTE]

Yes, and the trunk was not visible until a deep layer of duff was removed. Deep enough in the bog that hair roots were visible in parts of the trunk. A stream of water was running beside the hummock it existed on. It would be interesting to try and determine the time involved to create the layers of duff and the changing elevations of the roots as the plant adapts and evolves. I was worried that i would find an uncollectable situation the deeper i explored. As it turned out the greatest challenge will be to develop the root mass for a different planting angle if the tree survives collection. It always surprises me how little root ball exists on most trees in these sites.
As you know, in some of those sites the water flow adapts and changes with the seasons and also the vegetation. The best time for collection can become a very narrow window.
Chojubai flowering as fall settles in.IMG_1159.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
One half of my Dawn Redwood forest. Two years ago I purchased a 7 tree forest from the estate of Steve Contney. He was a really active member of the Milwaukee Bonsai community who passed away very unexpectedly, a "nagging cough" that he thought was nothing turned out to be pneumonia. I separated the forest into 2 clumps, to help rebuild vigor and make it possible to go a full day without water. ( was travelling a lot, still do). Each half was put into separate 16 x 16 x 5 inch Anderson flats. Eventually I will re-unite the two pieces. It was in a 22 inch tray, the next pot will need to be at least 26 x 9 inches, maybe more.

IMG_20181104_162030796.jpg

The ceramic ball just happens to be one of several scattered here and there for no particular reason and no permanence or intent for a ''design''. It was just there and I left it. The ceramic ball is from a dismantled filter bed at a water treatment facility. Odd used junk.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One half of my Dawn Redwood forest. Two years ago I purchased a 7 tree forest from the estate of Steve Contney. He was a really active member of the Milwaukee Bonsai community who passed away very unexpectedly, a "nagging cough" that he thought was nothing turned out to be pneumonia. I separated the forest into 2 clumps, to help rebuild vigor and make it possible to go a full day without water. ( was travelling a lot, still do). Each half was put into separate 16 x 16 x 5 inch Anderson flats. Eventually I will re-unite the two pieces. It was in a 22 inch tray, the next pot will need to be at least 26 x 9 inches, maybe more.

View attachment 216516

The ceramic ball just happens to be one of several scattered here and there for no particular reason and no permanence or intent for a ''design''. It was just there and I left it. The ceramic ball is from a dismantled filter bed at a water treatment facility. Odd used junk.
I like your focus on improving the health and condition prior to re-working the forest. important to stress the day to day practises that make a difference in the final results.
Shimpaku , decisions coming, prefer the right side but the roots on the back require major change.IMG_1213.JPG

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a thread on this one-The Four brothers Hornbeam material. there were no branches on this tree at the start of the season, just stumps

over the past few weeks ive been ive been looking at this side as a potential, preferred front

there's a nice harmony and subtle movement here,
IMG_7072 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_7071 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_7073 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

The nebari is more impressive from this angle though, the right side will catch up next season in terms of growth
IMG_7067 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Oh yeh and a little autumn colour!!;)

Top Bottom