The Tree Thread

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice...here is the hawthorn I'll be showing at the USNBE this fall; just cut back over the weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 130

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My cork bark Japanese black pine has come along nicely. As the cork develops, new fronts appear pretty regularly. This is the latest front.

Attachments

• ul upright ondae 6-4-14.jpg
    ul upright ondae 6-4-14.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 127

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I like! (cool thread too...)

Here's my Tanuki Larch - the deadwood is out of the ground here as I'm trying to keep it dry. I hollowed out 60-70% of one side of it's 1/2" original trunk and shaped it to fit the deadwood.

It's lost the lowest branch, not sure if I should bother jinning it or not yet as it's a bit thin, but it should suit the windswept style if I did.

IMG_1414-25_zps105df298.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
M5...wow!

collectd RMJ:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 101

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Mach5: Those look like to-scale anthills! :D

Brian: Very nice, is that a slow twist in the trunk?

Chinese Elm (deep pot due to nightmare tap root)
IMG_8445mod-25.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice! Not often one sees a tanuki larch.

Shohin satsuki "Chinzan".

Wow! Just amazing little Chinzan... It is so chunky! I have one I am just starting to train that has a decent trunk right at the base, but the nebari will need years of work to look anything like this!

Here is a Bunjin Procumbins Nana. Another tree I was given back in feb. He was kind of struggling to put out new growth and had a pale yellow color when the growing season began. Not to imply the man who gave him to me was giving it poor care, I just know he had so many trees to care for this one hadn't been repotted for a while... So, I got in there, gently worked the roots out as much as I dared, removed some of the moss that had taken over the surface of the pot and started climbing the tree... I let it sit in a semi- shady spot for a couple weeks to encourage the foliage to turn a darker color (which worked), and once he started popping some new growth, I slowly moved out into full sun and it is THRIVING for me now! New growth on every tip, and the slow die back I was noticing in some areas has ceased all together! After it showed me that it was firing on all cylinders following the repot, I put my new Dremel to work on the dead wood! There was plenty to work on, and most still had bark over it so I removed all the bark to show wood beneath, carved some Shari on the trunk a little more and in a week or two I will apply lime sulfur to bleach it. Hard to get a pic that does this one Justice with my crappy Iphone camera, but that is all I have to work with right now. Embarrassing that a Film major and accomplished photographer would have NO camera right now, but I have to convince my wife a digital SLR is a NEED not a want... My old film SLR is about 20 years old and pretty much beat, and I don't like screwing with developing film any more!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 52

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Double Dutch cutting(s)

Wow you guys..some stunning trees! Lots of labor and love.

Here is THE ugly duck ( for now..),

the Double Dutch! Fully rooted. ;)

Best,
Dorothy

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Wow! Just amazing little Chinzan... It is so chunky! I have one I am just starting to train that has a decent trunk right at the base, but the nebari will need years of work to look anything like this!

Here is a Bunjin Procumbins Nana. Another tree I was given back in feb. He was kind of struggling to put out new growth and had a pale yellow color when the growing season began. Not to imply the man who gave him to me was giving it poor care, I just know he had so many trees to care for this one hadn't been repotted for a while... So, I got in there, gently worked the roots out as much as I dared, removed some of the moss that had taken over the surface of the pot and started climbing the tree... I let it sit in a semi- shady spot for a couple weeks to encourage the foliage to turn a darker color (which worked), and once he started popping some new growth, I slowly moved out into full sun and it is THRIVING for me now! New growth on every tip, and the slow die back I was noticing in some areas has ceased all together! After it showed me that it was firing on all cylinders following the repot, I put my new Dremel to work on the dead wood! There was plenty to work on, and most still had bark over it so I removed all the bark to show wood beneath, carved some Shari on the trunk a little more and in a week or two I will apply lime sulfur to bleach it. Hard to get a pic that does this one Justice with my crappy Iphone camera, but that is all I have to work with right now. Embarrassing that a Film major and accomplished photographer would have NO camera right now, but I have to convince my wife a digital SLR is a NEED not a want... My old film SLR is about 20 years old and pretty much beat, and I don't like screwing with developing film any more!

It's always easy to spend other people's money that's what's wrong with our political system, but as far as your situation; maybe you can take her camera shopping and buy her one too. Offer her a vacation opportunity to use the new cameras and please; make sure they are digital. Nikon or Cannon. Stay away from Sonny they are difficult to use and the warranty work leaves a lot to me desired.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Dorothy very interesting and innovative! Good out of the box... er out of the pot thinking! ;) Such diversity in this one thread!!

Rocky Mountain Juniper [not in final pot].

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's always easy to spend other people's money that's what's wrong with our political system, but as far as your situation; maybe you can take her camera shopping and buy her one too. Offer her a vacation opportunity to use the new cameras and please; make sure they are digital. Nikon or Cannon. Stay away from Sonny they are difficult to use and the warranty work leaves a lot to me desired.
If you want to bloviate or huck a camera in this thread it will cost you a photo...
Here is a Tanuki on deadwood from a juniper that was in front of the duplex my wife and I rented when we were finishing college. I attached it originally in 2002, reworked the deadwood in 2005, and took it all apart and started over again in 2009. Now I think the right one would look better on its own...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 78

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you want to bloviate or huck a camera in this thread it will cost you a photo...
Here is a Tanuki on deadwood from a juniper that was in front of the duplex my wife and I rented when we were finishing college. I attached it originally in 2002, reworked the deadwood in 2005, and took it all apart and started over again in 2009. Now I think the right one would look better on its own...

Sorry my bad.

Are we starting to have a problem again or are you just being pedantic?

Attachments

• Hinoki 8-16-13.jpg
    Hinoki 8-16-13.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Comments on trees or compositions only

Thought I would share some more of my amateurish work. Just a small little semi cascade procumbens I got when I started a few years ago. Decided to keep it despite its lacking. The rebar is to pull the top section or apex back forward. It will need to be moved some more prob next year.

Attachments

• semicascadeprocumbens.jpg
    semicascadeprocumbens.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 76

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thought I would share some more of my amateurish work. Just a small little semi cascade procumbens I got when I started a few years ago. Decided to keep it despite its lacking. The rebar is to pull the top section or apex back forward. It will need to be moved some more prob next year.

I understand all of this but I think at some point you are going to have to address the facts that circle around certain aspects of the different styles and forms we apply to our bonsai. In order for a tree to semi-cascade or full-cascade down a cliff face or some other elevated environment the tree must at some time been hammered by the environment. Heavy show, avalanches, lightening strikes, animal attacks, and any number of bazaar things that can happen in the mountains and from an early age. Styles that reflect this kind of environment are not likely to have any straight lines any where, especially on the trunk.

Just because you have a young tree does not mean you cannot put some semblance of age to it. It took me a while to learn that most of the time these trees will age on their own but not in the way you want them to. If you do not point them in the right direction it's like a box of chocolates. If I seem to be bloviating let me know, and I will try to un-bloviate?

2THMJek.jpg

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I understand all of this but I think at some point you are going to have to address the facts that circle around certain aspects of the different styles and forms we apply to our bonsai. In order for a tree to semi-cascade or full-cascade down a cliff face or some other elevated environment the tree must at some time been hammered by the environment. Heavy show, avalanches, lightening strikes, animal attacks, and any number of bazaar things that can happen in the mountains and from an early age. Styles that reflect this kind of environment are not likely to have any straight lines any where, especially on the trunk.

Just because you have a young tree does not mean you cannot put some semblance of age to it. It took me a while to learn that most of the time these trees will age on their own but not in the way you want them to. If you do not point them in the right direction it's like a box of chocolates. If I seem to be bloviating let me know, and I will try to un-bloviate?

2THMJek.jpg

It actually does curve at the bas of the trunk but it isn't noticeable from this angle. It curves toward the viewer. In time the front will be rotated about 20-30 degrees to the right to show off this curve and the branching will have to be moved to counteract this. But you are correct it does appear straight from this angle. Not a finished tree by any means but I appreciate the advice. I am glad you view this site as an amalgamation with other hobbyist. (Sorry, I was a science major so poetic language isn't my thing.)

Attachments

• bestjuni3.jpg
    bestjuni3.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 72
Top Bottom